26 Apr 2017, 00:20 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Rockwell Collins (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Seeking PIREPS - Garmin Pilot on Android
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 08:33 

Post Likes: +37
Aircraft: 1997 Bonanza A36TN
Many here have raved about Garmin Pilot on iPad. According to the Garmin people at OSH, Android updates will always lag 2-3 weeks behind iOS. I prefer the size of the Android tablets for in-flight use (at least until the rumored mini iPad), and I've tried and like the apps available. The iOS options are clearly 2 steps ahead, however. Those of you using Garmin Pilot on Android, will you please share your experience?

Post subject: Re: Seeking PIREPS - Garmin Pilot on Android
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 08:57 

Post Likes: +508
I love the Garmin Pilot on my Android Phone. The only feature that is currently not available on android is the split screen. It will be added soon. Garmin has done a great job of making everything work on android. Garmin now has over 1,000 airports on their geo-sync'd safetaxi charts. With the new GDL39 the safetax charts will soon display other ground traffic movement.

I have an Ipad 3 also. There is no longer the big edge for the Ipad over Android when it comes to Garmin Pilot.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 12:13 

Post Likes: +5
Aircraft: B36TC
I just started using it and so far so good. Very stable. Lots of info at my fingertips. I always wanted foreflight but the iPad is just too big for me. With garmin pilot I don't feel I am missing anything but split screen and sv.

"...there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas Edison

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 12:18 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: G35
Been using it, paid for the subscription when it was $50 for the year. Tons of info, I think it's pretty up to speed with iOS/Foreflight/WingX. They keep making improvments. It's really the only option on android though (which I like to use/stick with) so if you want to stick with android this is your main option, just pay for the subscription.

Justin

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 13:01 

Post Likes: +5
Aircraft: B36TC
Avilution is really quite good as well. Used it for the last year. I think it is $5 per month. The only reason I tried Pilot is for the georef plates, which avilution does not have.

"...there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas Edison

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 17:18 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +220
Aircraft: C33A
My primary is FF on the iPad but I bought Pilot for my Droid Maxx as a backup. Even on the smaller phone looks pretty stable. Used it in tandem with my iPad for a flight from Grand Junction to Denver and did a fine job. But that's still a review based on minimal use.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 22:51 

Post Likes: +260
Aircraft: 1970 Bonanza A36TN
Jon,

I like the Garmin app quite a lot. I have it installed on a 7" tablet which I mount on the yoke and my Galaxy Note phone w/ 5.3" screen.

That said, my default app enroute is Avilution AviationMaps - 2 main reasons: they provide very high resolution charts and plates (Garmin is not bad but not quite on par) and it takes only 2 screen taps to switch between a previously viewed approach plate and any choice of sectional, low enroute, terminal area chart, or high enroute. It takes several taps on Garmin Pilot to switch back and forth (might be better w/ split screen).

I do use the Garmin app much more for preflight, and frequently use it just to see current radar wherever I am as the weather info is shown very well. I also like their depiction of forecast winds aloft and TAFs. Both have a slider that lets you look at relevant conditions along the route from ETD to ETA. Garmin also offers easy flight planning by airways if you need, and it is dirt simple to load departure and arrival procedures to the active flight plan.

I don't have a GDL39 (yet), but if you want ADSB I'm not sure of any other Android option.

As I am using smaller screen devices, I don't miss the split screen funtionality too much. They have a very nice basemap showing states. lakes, highways. I hope in the future they might add a vector map similar to what AnywhereMap, Flightsoft Express, and all of Garmin's own handheld devices have.

I subscribed to a couple of years with the Garmin app based on their OSH pricing of $50/yr - seems this pricing is still available. I had weaned myself off of multiple nav program subscriptions a couple of years back while on Windows, but now find myself paying for nearly every Android offering to evaluate.

If I was going to only pay for one app I think it would be Garmin - with Avilution very close second.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 09:25 

Thanks Lee. I've been using AviationMaps for the past year and I like it. Mark is working on an ads-b solution currently. I am on the Garmin Pilot 30-day trial, and so far I'm finding it a bit clunky. I don't use my android tablet for preflight planning, so those features are unimportant to me.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 09:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +220
Aircraft: C33A
Most of the differences are UI and one person's good one is another person's bad one. Don't give too much credence to planning vs navigation preferences. I recall one month when an aviation magazine on the iPad apps said FF was better for planning and WingX for navigation. In the same month another said WingX was better for planning and FF for navigation.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 09:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2747
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
Regarding the above I have had the Garmin app and Foreflight for the past 30 days. I flew a long flight into the back country and back yesterday. We made 8 landings and flew for 5.8 hours, just out goofing off with friends. When I got back I wanted to know how many miles that route was. Very simple in FF on the main map page, just put the airport ID's in the box. On the Garmin app you have to tap home and trip planning, menu, new trip and then you still won't be able to do it as my trip started and ended at the same airport. If you put the same airport for departure and destination the Garmin app just tells you that you screwed up.
Another error for the Garmin is it does not get all the TFR's. A pretty big deal here in Montana in fire season. FF shows them and Garmin does not. Epic fail. So I paid for FF and will maybe try Garmin again in a year or two.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 11:20 

Scott, I think I'm on the same page. It might be a little early for this app. Also, I don't like the idea that if ads-b is in our portable future, with Garmin we're stuck with the garmin hardware and app. The other developers indicate that we will have hardware choices and that gives us more flexibilty to try other apps.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 15:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2747
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
It's funny I installed the Garmin app precisely because of the new antenna they came out with for ADS-B. We don't have ADS-B out here yet and even if we did I would have it displayed on the 796 anyways. But since I know the Garmin 796 software I figured I would stay with their app. It is simply not as easy to use as FF nor the 796.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 11:59 

Post Likes: +257
Aircraft: '76 A36 Bonanza
Username Protected wrote:
Another error for the Garmin is it does not get all the TFR's. A pretty big deal here in Montana in fire season. FF shows them and Garmin does not. Epic fail. So I paid for FF and will maybe try Garmin again in a year or two.

Scott,

I've got the Garmin Pilot app running on an iPad (30 day free trial).

I just checked, it shows more TFR's than I can count right now. They're for Fire, VIP (look at the state of Iowa!!!), Misc, Airshows, etc.

Too many when you see them all at once.

What TFR's are missing from your display?

Is this an Android vs. Apple issue?

So far I am very happy with the Garmin Pilot app, I will most likely subscribe so I can get the benefits of the GDL 39.

Jim

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 12:07 

Post Likes: +257
Aircraft: '76 A36 Bonanza
Username Protected wrote:
On the Garmin app you have to tap home and trip planning, menu, new trip and then you still won't be able to do it as my trip started and ended at the same airport. If you put the same airport for departure and destination the Garmin app just tells you that you screwed up.

Hi Scott,

All you have to do is create a trip with the origin and destination as your home base.

Then keypunch other airports as a route. Done.

While Foreflight may save a couple of keystrokes that is insignificant in my opinion vs. the ability of the Garmin to get ADS-B traffic and FIS-B weather in flight with a GDL 39 for $800.

Obviously it depends on what features are important to you.

For me Garmin Pilot wins hands down. I've only had the trial version since Friday afternoon and I'm already very comfortable with it and the iPad. I've yet to look at an owner's manual for either.

Regards, Jim

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 12:38 

Post Likes: +260
Aircraft: 1970 Bonanza A36TN
I find the 'Active FPL' window is the easiest way to enter routes, and does allow for routes with same start and end. Just type all of the airports in sequence separated by spaces. Total distance then shown on map page or trip planning. Also easy to add airways in between if desired by typing Vxxx in between.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next