banner
banner

26 Apr 2017, 00:12 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Rockwell Collins (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Foreflight vs WingX...choices, choices!
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 21:01 

Post Likes: +69
Aircraft: Piper Cherokee 180
Hi all,
Well, my 1st year of Foreflight is expiring! I have loved Foreflight! BUT, I have read all the wonderful things you all have said about WingX. So, I am going to use the 30 day free trial of WingX to evaluate their software. Since I will only chose one, I am trying to decide who is top dog...right now.
Thoughts?
Ralph
PS My (non-Beech) aircraft just came out of annual today. No bad news...$2,500 includes new wheel bearings, anti-corrosion, air conditioner recharged, oil change, repairs to upholstery, leaking rocker box seals replaced, a section of the aileron cable replaced and a fresh IFR cert. It's a good night!

Post subject: Re: Foreflight vs WingX...choices, choices!
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 22:35 

Post Likes: +2378
Aircraft: Cessna 182T
I predict you will stay with FF. Mainly because it's what you know & are comfortable with. WingX frustrated me. But I didn't give it much time. From the reviews, sounds like they're pretty comparable.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 22:44 

Post Likes: +79
Company: Retired Northrup/ Grumman/OCSD
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36
I had FF for a year now Iam trying WingX, but I still kept FF. I don't have the geo ref from Seattle Avionics on either. The only feature I like about WingX is the ability to use split screens. Overall I find FF's data base, mapping and weather much more user friendly. If I give up one it will probably be WingX. WingX still doesn't have iphone version.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 00:23 

Post Likes: +8
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza V35B
Ralph,

Well I sure have enjoyed WingX with my new iPad2, bought 'em this Summer for trips to Nashville, OSH, and Kansas City, etc. and sure came in handy. I like the route planning, split screens, paperless notepad, weather info (via internet on the ground, but can add in-flight ADS-B/Nexrad with SkyPad hardware http://www.skyradar.net/); and now can even add synthetic vision with pitch & bank info. http://www.aviation.levil.com/AHRS_mini.htm

As its been stated though, FF & WX are both amazing programs...competition is healthy, so try/fly the demos yourself to help decide.

Sounds like great news regarding the annual. Wait... Air Cond? Some of us are envious!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 11:54 

Post Likes: +1112
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
I started the 30 day trial with wingx when I first got my iPad and found it difficult to use so deleted wx after a couple of days and bought ff.

I thought today I'd give wx another try but it won't let me start over. So I'm pretty frustrated with their initial potential user interface.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 12:06 

Post Likes: +8
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza V35B
Username Protected wrote:
I started the 30 day trial with wingx when I first got my iPad and found it difficult to use so deleted wx after a couple of days and bought ff.

I thought today I'd give wx another try but it won't let me start over. So I'm pretty frustrated with their initial potential user interface.

Paul,
Sorry to hear of the problem... :scratch:
You may have done this already, but did you try deleting the old app first? Or maybe they only give one free trial period per person? Call or email them and they probably would want your business.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 21:09 

Post Likes: +198
Without trying WingX, I went into their booth at OSH and told the guy I was a a happy foreflight customer with an expiring subscription. I asked him to sell me his product. He didnt have much for me other than features that I wasnt interested in like the AHRS or synthetic vision features...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 15:27 

Post Likes: +4
Company: MN Aviation Proficiency, LLC
Aircraft: BE36 / BE60
I've evaluated both and opted to go ForeFlight. The more I use the program the more impressed I am with the elegance of it's user interface. It just "feels" so much more polished than WingX. That said, I can always find areas that I'd like to see enhanced in almost any software product, and continually feed them suggestions, but if they never changed another thing I'd be a happy customer. It just works amazingly well.

And I DO love the geo-referenced charts. It just adds a level of situational awareness to instrument flying that I find incredibly valuable.

-Loren
CFII, KFCM

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 17:25 

Post Likes: +94
Aircraft: Phenom 100, Radial-R
I've been trying both of them and while they are nifty with fancy graphics and a pretty little airplane on the IFR chart I haven't found either of them worthwhile for flight planning. Perhaps I'm missing something here but the FREE AOPA flight planner works better than either of them for flight planning; which is what I need computer based flight software to do as its primary function.

Once airborne I've figured out that I'm not really going to spend any time playing with an IPAD. I've been on three trips thus far and haven't gotten around to turning the IPAD on yet. The GNS530W moving map and NEXRAD weather supplemented with the moving map and NEXRAD on my yoke mounted 396 and active radar in the nose are more than enough to get from point A to B.

The free AOPA flight planner has a better fuel burn and trip time algorithm (taxi, climb, cruise, decent), provides a way to set your beginning fuel on board, provides a NAVLOG showing fuel burn and fuel remaining at each waypoint, and will automatically provide airway routing which you can simply clean up. The AOPA flight planner also overlays the weather on the planning chart; I haven’t figured out if FF or WX provides that function.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not sure what $75 to $150 per year is buying me that I don't already have for free with the AOPA site. About the only thing that might make it worthwhile is having the IFR charts in the IPAD rather than my bound Airchart book; which can be difficult to find your location on the rare occasion you actually need to pull out the chart. I'm not sure I'd drop my hardcopy chart and put all my eggs in the IPAD basket so there probably isn't any cost savings to be had.

This is about FF vs. WX so I won't discuss approach plates on my Kindle vs. the IPAD; I think the IPAD has the edge.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 13:25 

Aircraft: 55/56TC/B60
Due to positive reviews on this site I first became aware of Foreflight and elected to buy an IPAD. I've had a lot more frustration with the IPAD (see my troubles on buying a refurbished ipad on a different thread) than with the software. Foreflight has been great, I've been flying with it for awhile now.

But sometime during the past few months I've started to think about getting weather into the cockpit, traffic plus weather even better. So as I have been reading the increasingly positive threads about WingX I decided I needed to try it out for myself.

So now after a week with WingX I can definitely say I am pleased with it. I agree if you're used to the operating logic of FF some of the operating steps in WingX aren't as smooth. I suppose this mirrors the same argument MAC and Window users have, if you're already used to a MAC interface, not everything you can do on a MAC can be done as easily with Windows.

The way I look at it now, for $99 I can't pass up either FF or WingX. They are both worthy of my $99. However I will say so far, for my uses, to date I don't think the extra $ for the Seattle approach plate chart position mapping is worth it.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 14:37 

Post Likes: +528
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: TN IO550 V35B
Hi all,

I purchased a year subscription to Foreflight. I like it for reference, and I also like that I can run it on my iPhone as well as my GF's iPad.

But I find that I only really use it for reference or secondary monitoring in flight. I always purchase paper charts for my home base as well as my destination.

There's too much stuff in the margins of the charts, especially TAC charts. WingX doesn't do TAC charts, and Foreflight doesn't do the margin information (at least the last time I checked).

But for flight planning, I simply use the DUAT iPhone app and maybe FltPlan.com to check current routings (AF/D preferred routings are pretty worthless). Neither FF or WX has autorouting, which removes a lot of functionality.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 00:07 

Post Likes: +56
Aircraft: B36TC
Without trying WingX, I went into their booth at OSH and told the guy I was a a happy foreflight customer with an expiring subscription. I asked him to sell me his product. He didnt have much for me other than features that I wasnt interested in like the AHRS or synthetic vision features...

The proper answer to the "Sell me on..." is to ask what is important to you. You and he learned that telling is not selling.

Nick

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 10:00 

Post Likes: +13
Hi all,

I purchased a year subscription to Foreflight. I like it for reference, and I also like that I can run it on my iPhone as well as my GF's iPad.

But I find that I only really use it for reference or secondary monitoring in flight. I always purchase paper charts for my home base as well as my destination.

There's too much stuff in the margins of the charts, especially TAC charts. WingX doesn't do TAC charts, and Foreflight doesn't do the margin information (at least the last time I checked).

But for flight planning, I simply use the DUAT iPhone app and maybe FltPlan.com to check current routings (AF/D preferred routings are pretty worthless). Neither FF or WX has autorouting, which removes a lot of functionality.

Best,
Rich

Rich,

In FF if you enter a departure and arrival airport in the Map page there is an ATC Routes button that shows recent clearances.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 13:03 

Post Likes: +160
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36TC
In FF if you enter a departure and arrival airport in the Map page there is an ATC Routes button that shows recent clearances.

Has that ever actually worked for anyone?
It never had anything when I try it.
I suppose I must fly all the routes that no one else does !
:scratch:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 16:08 

Aircraft: Bonanza N35

Charles,

I was helping man Hilton's booth at FF and I'm not sure if you spoke to me or someone else.

Let me ask you these questions:

1. Has FF served you well and met your needs? If so, then stick with what works for you.
2. Are you interested in features WingX has that FF doesn't? AHRS support, Synthetic Vision, Free ADSB weather in-flight? If so, then consider giving it a try. It has a free 30-day trial.

They are booth great products.

-Bruce

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next