banner

26 Apr 2017, 00:15 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Rockwell Collins (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: seat parts
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:16 

Aircraft: 1976 F33/A
New member here so be gentle..ha. I have a 68 e33 and wanted to try to get the seats to recline better so i took a seat out to look at. What a pain in the butt. I need some new seat cams, and a couple of round seat knobs, mainly along with some additional parts. Does anyone have a good source for this type of stuff. I don't have a illustrated parts manual but found one online but the serial numbers go past mine. My serial number is cd1137. Beech pricing is ridiculous and junk yards have no idea unless you can bring them the parts or have a part number. Trying to do this over the phone and seaching the net has gotten me know where. Anyone have any insight to offer or did i open a can worms???? Thanks for your help ! Tim

Post subject: Re: seat parts
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:19 

Post Likes: +79
Aircraft: BE23,N35,C172,C182
Sorry can't help with the seat parts other than to say what my mom always told me.......sit up straight! :D

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:36 

Post Likes: +1811
Company: MBG Properties
Aircraft: 1972 Bonanza V35B
Username Protected wrote:
New member here so be gentle..ha. I have a 68 e33 and wanted to try to get the seats to recline better so i took a seat out to look at. What a pain in the butt. I need some new seat cams, and a couple of round seat knobs, mainly along with some additional parts. Does anyone have a good source for this type of stuff. I don't have a illustrated parts manual but found one online but the serial numbers go past mine. My serial number is cd1137. Beech pricing is ridiculous and junk yards have no idea unless you can bring them the parts or have a part number. Trying to do this over the phone and seaching the net has gotten me know where. Anyone have any insight to offer or did i open a can worms???? Thanks for your help ! Tim

Tim,

Can you be more specific? List one problem and seat position at a time and we will be more likely to find you some help.

Round knobs? Where? Which seat positions are giving you problems? The pilot seat is different from the others.

Come fly with me.

My photos: https://photos.google.com/albums

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:58 

Hi Max, thanks for trying to help. The pilot seat is fine and I don't think I'll do anything with it at this time. The co-pilot seat doesn't want to recline properly but can be done. looked at the cams, they are the 3 position kind but are all worn out and don't want to support the upper part of the seat when in any position except the full forward position. sometimes they'll just slip to the halfway reclined position. I have looked at the springs that help bring the seat back to the forward position and they seem pretty weak as well. The round knobs are on each seat that you twist to the 3 different positions when reclining the seats. I think the newer f33's have a lever action . The back seats are better but worn also and thought I'd try to do all at once and be done with it. The right back seat adjustment handle(knob) is broken at the point where it goes into the seat tube-it twisted off. The left back seat mechanisms are worn but working. Just thought I'd try to get them to be more reliable when passengers tried to recline their seats. I do alot of Angel Flight stuff and some passengers really need to be able to streach out or sleep. Looking for other alternative suppliers other than going directly to Beechcraft. I suppose a parts catalog would make this alot easier...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 00:13 

Post Likes: +1811
Company: MBG Properties
Aircraft: 1972 Bonanza V35B
Tim,

Your seats are different from any with which I have any knowledge. 'Sorry.

Maybe someone else will pitch in with some help.

Come fly with me.

My photos: https://photos.google.com/albums

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 00:28 

No problem Max ! I appreciate your help though. I"ll keep trying.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 07:09 

Post Likes: +251
Company: Portal Consulting
Aircraft: Bonanza S35
Post a picture. If it is the Roton type, they can be overhauled (mine was).

There are several different styles. A photo (even a cell phone type photo) should be able to distinguish among these.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 08:30 

Post Likes: +38
Aircraft: E33 Bonanza
Tim,
I went through this problem on my E33 and decided the cams/shafts/springs/roll pins were too much to mess with. I pulled all that stuff out, and inserted bolts/large washers in the gap where the cams went.

Yep, not adjustable, but I was assured the seat would not flop to nearly full recline while shooting an approach.

What s/n is your E33?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 09:10 

Post Likes: +75
Aircraft: Bonanza V35A
Call Jim Finefield of Finefield Aviation. (815)459-4858. He runs a very reputable Beech shop outside Chicago. My 69 V35A seat recliner mechanism was totally shot, and he rebuilt it for a very reasonable amount. It depends on what you need in parts of course, but my parts bill was less than $150 for pretty much replacing the whole mechanism. Good luck.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 16:04 

Post Likes: +932
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
Hi Max, thanks for trying to help. The pilot seat is fine and I don't think I'll do anything with it at this time. The co-pilot seat doesn't want to recline properly but can be done. looked at the cams, they are the 3 position kind but are all worn out and don't want to support the upper part of the seat when in any position except the full forward position. sometimes they'll just slip to the halfway reclined position. I have looked at the springs that help bring the seat back to the forward position and they seem pretty weak as well. The round knobs are on each seat that you twist to the 3 different positions when reclining the seats. I think the newer f33's have a lever action . The back seats are better but worn also and thought I'd try to do all at once and be done with it. The right back seat adjustment handle(knob) is broken at the point where it goes into the seat tube-it twisted off. The left back seat mechanisms are worn but working. Just thought I'd try to get them to be more reliable when passengers tried to recline their seats. I do alot of Angel Flight stuff and some passengers really need to be able to streach out or sleep. Looking for other alternative suppliers other than going directly to Beechcraft. I suppose a parts catalog would make this alot easier...

Your passenger seat recline sounds a lot like what is on the pilot's seat in my Baron. There's a shaft (hollow tube) that connects two cams (one on each side) and a couple springs to rotate the cams and shaft to the most upright position when you tilt the seat back forward manually. All the parts are in the Beech parts catalog and the price isn't too outrageous (for Beech). I think if you replaced both cams and springs plus the knob it might cost a couple hundred bucks. You might be able to get the parts from a salvage dealer like Dodson or White Industries for a lot less. On mine the cams are connected to solid aluminum rods with steel roll pins and one of these pins is long enough to act as the rotation limit. One of the rods comes with the knob as a single part.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 22:24 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: Baron B55
I just priced the same seat parts for my Baron and each part excepting the springs is now around $100.00 each. The springs were just under $7.00 each. I have the part numbers and cost at my office and will try to remember to bring them home and post.

Carl

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 23:37 

Post Likes: +643
Aircraft: 35-C33, A36
Tim,

here is an older edition of the parts manual for your seats.

I bought the springs a few years ago... for my C33 seats...and they weren't very expensive.

I do not know the price of the cams... you will have to price them.
IF tooo expensive... I bet a skilled mechanic could refurbish them.

Leldon Locke
Sherman, Tx

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 21:55 

These are the prices that I got on July 13th for a few seat parts for my B55.

60-530013-41 Tube/pilots & copilots chair 99.54 factory stk
60-530043-5 Cam/Pilots & Copilots cam adjust chair 122.62 factory stk
60-530046-1 Spring, LH Torsion 6.45 factory stk
60-530046-2 Spring, RH Torsion 4.94 factory stk
58-530045-1 Handle Assy, Pilots Chair 53.31 factory stk
58-530045-2 Handle Assy, Copilots Chair 74.03 No stock
58-530045-3 Handle (58-530045-6) 100.29 factory stk
58-530046 Pin, Handle (included with handle)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 01:24 

Post Likes: +107
Aircraft: BE-33, BE-77
I have the same seats. Many of the reclining parts were missing, and some yahoo screwed in pieces of wood to hold the seat backs up! I also checked into the Beech parts and the total price to rework 4 seats was ridiculous. Four seats, 2 cams each, times $120 is $1,000 - plus the other parts. I ended up purchasing aluminum bar stock of ~1-1/2" diameter and 1/2" long, drilled a hole through the center, and installed in place of the cams using new AN hardware. The seats are not adjustable, but at least they will not fall backwards on takeoff. You can try different bar stock diameters to get the perfect seat back angle.

The Beech parts could be replicated fairly easily - perhaps as "owner produced parts". For example the aforementioned aluminum bar stock could be cut into the cam shape.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 21:59 

I made two cams out of ½” by 1 ¼“aluminum bar stock that I found in the local metal vendor’s scrap heap for $2.00. Cutting the cam area was not that difficult. I have considered drilling the holes larger than the ¼” and making my own levers and pin with a little larger metal stock, but I will see how things work with the stock parts that I have this time.

The stock material probably would not be a problem if passengers would not push back on the top of the seat when they get into the plane.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next