banner
banner

26 Apr 2017, 00:11 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Rockwell Collins (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Wing Bolts - Mandatory Change?
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 10:39 

Aircraft: F33A
Could someone clarify me with regards to this subject? Is it mandatory to change every 15 years? 20 Years? How often are these bolts inspected, etc. Thank you,

CM

Post subject: Re: WING BOLTS
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 11:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +904
Company: WS, Inc.
Aircraft: 1965 Bonanza S35
Username Protected wrote:
Could someone clarify me with regards to this subject? Is it mandatory to change every 15 years? 20 Years? How often are these bolts inspected, etc. Thank you,

CM

Carlos, you may want to read....Another dreaded Annual Thread here in the "Singles" section.

"TRUTH is AUTHORITY..... Authority is not Truth"

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 15:18 

Post Likes: +491
Aircraft: 1968 Bonanza V35A

CM

Carlos,

It is not required as there is no AD that requires wing bolt changes on the Bonanza. There is a service bulletins suggest they should be changed every 15 years. The service bulletin is not mandatory for a part 91 operator. In the 60+ year history of the Bonanza, there are no incidents of a wing bolt failing. I believe that the current ABS recommendation is that if the wing bolts do not have corrosion and have not been changed since new, that after 20 years they be changed and re-torqued "wet" to the correct tolerances. My V35A is 42 years old and the wing bolts are original and I have no plans to mess with them.

John D. Collins CFI, CFII, MEI
68 V35A N7083N Home Base KUZA
Charlotte, NC
(704) 576-3561 Cell

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 15:35 

Post Likes: +1112
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
Based on recent threads in this forum, I could even argue that new bolts have probably been outsourced to a provider that's figured out how to shave 5 cents off the cost of every bolt by changing the metallurgy.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 17:36 

Post Likes: +38
Aircraft: B55 P2
Based on recent threads in this forum, I could even argue that new bolts have probably been outsourced to a provider that's figured out how to shave 5 cents off the cost of every bolt by changing the metallurgy.

Oh great, and I was feeling so good about doing steep turns with my new wing bolts and now you ruined it. :D

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 21:03 

Aircraft: Last one was a V35B

CM

Carlos,

It is not required as there is no AD that requires wing bolt changes on the Bonanza. There is a service bulletins suggest they should be changed every 15 years. The service bulletin is not mandatory for a part 91 operator. In the 60+ year history of the Bonanza, there are no incidents of a wing bolt failing. I believe that the current ABS recommendation is that if the wing bolts do not have corrosion and have not been changed since new, that after 20 years they be changed and re-torqued "wet" to the correct tolerances. My V35A is 42 years old and the wing bolts are original and I have no plans to mess with them.

John,

I can see and respect your knowledge of Beech products. But aren't there a whole bunch of items on the 4,000 hour TT "list" put out by the ABS that recommends wingbolt replacement among other things? I remember having a copy of "The List" years ago and remember thinking that that was a ton of items to have to deal with at the 4,000 hour TT mark.

Ben

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 21:52 

John,

I can see and respect your knowledge of Beech products. But aren't there a whole bunch of items on the 4,000 hour TT "list" put out by the ABS that recommends wingbolt replacement among other things? I remember having a copy of "The List" years ago and remember thinking that that was a ton of items to have to deal with at the 4,000 hour TT mark.

Ben

Ben,

Actually there are very few items on a 4000 hour replacement/overhaul schedule in my shop manual. The Shop manual suggests that wing bolts be inspected on a 5 year basis and replaced on a 15 year interval, not based on hours of service. Most of the scheduled items are to be overhauled on a 2000 hour basis or less. In many instances, I would not follow the scheduled time for overhaul or replacement but would go based on condition. The one area that is not called for as a scheduled item that I would and did replace was the nose gear rod ends on a 4000 hour basis.

In some cases, the replacement interval is too long in my opinion, example replace pressure air pump 1200 hours, in other cases it is a waste of money to follow the schedule, for example to overhaul the gear box in 2000 hours.

Charlotte, NC
(704) 576-3561 Cell

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 18:19 

Aircraft: F33A
Thank you all for the inputs. A 1991 F33A I located in Germany had the bolts replaced in 1996 (I wonder why), and now they say it needs change again in 2011 (15 years).

The answer I got was that the bolts had a limit of 12 years with one interim inspection. Now they have a TBO of 15 years with 2 interim inspections. But, it looks like they were not inspected after the change in 1996 (should have been inspected in 2001 and 2006).

CM

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 19:06 

Post Likes: +1112
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
Where did that "12 year life limit" come from? Title, Chapter and verse would be helpful. I don't think any of us in the U.S. have seen that.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 19:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +107
Company: Lauderdale Millwork Inc.
Aircraft: ex- baron 58 owner
The definition of inspection could vary from opening the bathtub cover and cheching for signs of corrosion (good enough for me) or actually removing them and magnafluxing, which sounds a little over the top.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 21:07 

Thank you all for the inputs. A 1991 F33A I located in Germany had the bolts replaced in 1996 (I wonder why), and now they say it needs change again in 2011 (15 years).

The answer I got was that the bolts had a limit of 12 years with one interim inspection. Now they have a TBO of 15 years with 2 interim inspections. But, it looks like they were not inspected after the change in 1996 (should have been inspected in 2001 and 2006).

CM

To do the inspection on the bolts, they have to be removed and magnafluxed and then reinstalled with new washers. The bolts can be inspected twice and retorqued twice, then if they are removed, they have to be replaced. Normally only one bolt is removed at a time and inspected and then reinstalled. This is done to maintain the original rigging of the wing. This can be very time consuming if the bolts have to be sent out to be magnafluxed. To avoid the hassle, some owners would rather just have them replaced,

The shop manual or maintenance manual specify that the inspection is to be done every five years, so for a single set of bolts, they get installed in year 0, inspected in year 5 and year 10, and replaced in year 15. In my opinion this is a total waste of money and is not required by a US airplane operated under part 91. There was a problem with the wing bolts on a King Air, which had a lot more load placed on the bolts and an AD was the result.

But the AD did not cover the Baron or Bonanza and in 60 years there is not a single documented case of a wing bolt failure on these aircraft. So if you want to waste thousands of your own money and if it makes you feel better, inspect and replace the wing bolts according to the CYA Beech Maintenance manual. The only time I would replace the bolts would be if they were allowed to corrode, which occurs when the bath tub fitting drain hole gets plugged.

At my annual, I remove the wing bolt covers and the bolts are inspected, the bathtub fitting is cleaned of any debris, and water is poured into the bath tub fitting and made sure that it drains properly. Then I spray a light coat of Corrosion X onto the exposed bolt.

Charlotte, NC
(704) 576-3561 Cell

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 21:46 

Post Likes: +83
Quote:
To do the inspection on the bolts, they have to be removed and magnafluxed and then reinstalled with new washers. The bolts can be inspected twice and retorqued twice, then if they are removed, they have to be replaced. Normally only one bolt is removed at a time and inspected and then reinstalled. This is done to maintain the original rigging of the wing. This can be very time consuming if the bolts have to be sent out to be magnafluxed. To avoid the hassle, some owners would rather just have them replaced. The shop manual or maintenance manual specify that the inspection is to be done every five years, so for a single set of bolts, they get installed in year 0, inspected in year 5 and year 10, and replaced in year 15.

Yes, that is the case in Oz!

When the bolts in the V35B first became due for inspection on my watch, I wasn't prepared to have the aeroplane out of the air for the time required to have the bolts removed two and a time and sent away for testing, so I installed new bolts.

Imagine our surprise to discover that the bolts in the aeroplane were installed the wrong way around, with the short bolts in the worng holes held by only a couple of threads and the long bolts in the wrong holes packed with multiple washers.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 22:44 

Post Likes: +119
Aircraft: Baron G58
Quote:
To do the inspection on the bolts, they have to be removed and magnafluxed and then reinstalled with new washers. The bolts can be inspected twice and retorqued twice, then if they are removed, they have to be replaced. Normally only one bolt is removed at a time and inspected and then reinstalled. This is done to maintain the original rigging of the wing. This can be very time consuming if the bolts have to be sent out to be magnafluxed. To avoid the hassle, some owners would rather just have them replaced. The shop manual or maintenance manual specify that the inspection is to be done every five years, so for a single set of bolts, they get installed in year 0, inspected in year 5 and year 10, and replaced in year 15.

When the bolts in the V35B first became due for inspection on my watch, I wasn't prepared to have the aeroplane out of the air for the time required to have the bolts removed two and a time and sent away for testing, so I installed new bolts.

Imagine our surprise to discover that the bolts in the aeroplane were installed the wrong way around, with the short bolts in the worng holes held by only a couple of threads and the long bolts in the wrong holes packed with multiple washers.

This is exactly what scares me about doing unnecessary maintenance. At what point does a mechanic say, "Gee, I don't remember taking so many washers out of here..."

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 00:00 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +904
Company: WS, Inc.
Aircraft: 1965 Bonanza S35
Quote:

Yikes! :bugeye:

"TRUTH is AUTHORITY..... Authority is not Truth"

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 00:08 

Post Likes: +12
Company: Oklahoma Otolaryngology assoc.
Aircraft: A36, AT-6 Texan
thanks for that story... I feel like I need to inspect my wing bolts now. I think that my mechanic is pretty good at that because they remove bonanza wings alot and do major airframe work as their primary business but that story really stresses me out.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next