Rockwell Collins (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: wing root seal
PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 16:42 

Post Likes: +21
Company: prime concrete const.
Aircraft: be-33
i need to replace the wing seals on my bonanza. i bought the beech seals. what is the right way to instal them? i had mod works paint the plane in 2005. they put new seals on then. a few months ago one came undone. it looked like they cut the lip of the seal off,then just glued it on. they only cut about two feet of the lip off. thats the part that came off. any ideas for the new seals? :cheers: the sound of that seal flaping against the bottom of the wing in flight,i will remember for a long time.... :o :o :o

Post subject: Re: wing root seal
PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 16:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +107
Company: Lauderdale Millwork Inc.
Aircraft: ex- baron 58 owner
I just replaced the ones on the tail and was able to work them in without cutting them. I used soapy water as a lube. It took a while. I dont remember if the wing seal is the same profile.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 17:20 

Post Likes: +1811
Company: MBG Properties
Aircraft: 1972 Bonanza V35B
Brian,

Those seals are right up there with fuel bladders when it comes to "fun" plane maintenance replacements. You really don't want to have to do an entire seal unless necessary.

Suggestion: If the only bad place is on the bottom of the wing (not seen ordinarily) make a butt splice by carefully cutting the piece to be left at a ninety degree angle. Insert the 2'~3' piece with a lubricant, pushing in with a paint stick or other non-metal push stick. Carefully cut the other end of the spliced seal for a tight fit. Allow to dry overnight. Seal the edges of the splices with several coats of epoxy. If the pieces left all have the lips inserted this should last as long as if there was no splice.

Come fly with me.

My photos: https://photos.google.com/albums

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 18:11 

Username Protected wrote:
Brian,

Those seals are right up there with fuel bladders when it comes to "fun" plane maintenance replacements. You really don't want to have to do an entire seal unless necessary.

Suggestion: If the only bad place is on the bottom of the wing (not seen ordinarily) make a butt splice by carefully cutting the piece to be left at a ninety degree angle. Insert the 2'~3' piece with a lubricant, pushing in with a paint stick or other non-metal push stick. Carefully cut the other end of the spliced seal for a tight fit. Allow to dry overnight. Seal the edges of the splices with several coats of epoxy. If the pieces left all have the lips inserted this should last as long as if there was no splice.

i know what you are saying about the bladders,especially the snaps.i've done both of mine. i would really like to replace both seals.they do not fit tight against the plane. they never did from the paint shop. you could put your finger in the gap! im sure it is costing some knots.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 23:01 

Post Likes: +1811
Company: MBG Properties
Aircraft: 1972 Bonanza V35B
Brian,

Send a private message to member Russell Simpson asking about his experience. He recently replaced all wing root seals and can give you his personal account of how he accomplished the task.

Good luck and have fun!!

Come fly with me.

My photos: https://photos.google.com/albums

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 12:38 

Post Likes: +131
Aircraft: sold it
I have done this job myself... and also waited around for 4 hours while two mechanics did it on my A36. First part is buying the proper wing root seal. It comes in a slightly thinner version as well as a beefy version. I bought mine from Performance Aero, and it was the thicker material. After removing the old seals, you will find that the edges of the wing are not uniform. If you are lucky, you will have from 1/4" to 5/16" of clearance between the fuselage and the wing edge. A quick assessment should be made as to where to cut the lip for clearance around the wing bolts, then with the help of a good wire pulling lubricant... it is a clear jell, and non corrosive or toxic, and washes off with water... or dish soap, the material is stuffed, lip first into the gap with plastic fid, or other non scratching tools. A strip of aluminum masking material is used to protect the fuselage. Put it on prior to removing the old rubber wing seals. So, then with lots of elbow grease and some cussing, the seals are worked into the space allowed, when installed, lift up the edge and run a good 3M adhesive under the flap. You will have to clean and blow out all lubricant or soap before this last gluing process. If you have a good aircraft paint shop..(one that does not cut off the lip and just glue the wing root on) they have men used to doing this job. I paid 8 hours labor for the two guys and their half day effort. Good results from the paint shop in Lincoln CA. (the IAs next door do the actual stuffing work. The other way is to do the job at the same time as you inspect, and remove the wing bolts. Mark your calendar for that one, and have some wing root seal on hand.

INST
5000+ hours working
on 35s and 36s

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 21:29 

Company: CAL.retired
Aircraft: V35B IO550 D-9406
Brian...Do fly for COA?

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 15:05 

Brian...Do fly for COA?

no i dont. what makes you think i do?

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 15:11 

I have done this job myself... and also waited around for 4 hours while two mechanics did it on my A36. First part is buying the proper wing root seal. It comes in a slightly thinner version as well as a beefy version. I bought mine from Performance Aero, and it was the thicker material. After removing the old seals, you will find that the edges of the wing are not uniform. If you are lucky, you will have from 1/4" to 5/16" of clearance between the fuselage and the wing edge. A quick assessment should be made as to where to cut the lip for clearance around the wing bolts, then with the help of a good wire pulling lubricant... it is a clear jell, and non corrosive or toxic, and washes off with water... or dish soap, the material is stuffed, lip first into the gap with plastic fid, or other non scratching tools. A strip of aluminum masking material is used to protect the fuselage. Put it on prior to removing the old rubber wing seals. So, then with lots of elbow grease and some cussing, the seals are worked into the space allowed, when installed, lift up the edge and run a good 3M adhesive under the flap. You will have to clean and blow out all lubricant or soap before this last gluing process. If you have a good aircraft paint shop..(one that does not cut off the lip and just glue the wing root on) they have men used to doing this job. I paid 8 hours labor for the two guys and their half day effort. Good results from the paint shop in Lincoln CA. (the IAs next door do the actual stuffing work. The other way is to do the job at the same time as you inspect, and remove the wing bolts. Mark your calendar for that one, and have some wing root seal on hand.

thanks for the good reply larry. i will be TRYING to put them in this weekend :roll: . i will post the results.......

PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 23:11 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +84
Aircraft: 1964 35-B33
How did it go? Which "wire pulling lubricant" did you use? I'm replacing mine this summer...

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 14:10 

Post Likes: +131
Aircraft: sold it
To answer which wire pulling lubricant... I dont have the container in front of me, it is in my hangar. There are several out there, the one you want is a clear "hair gel" looking lubricant, like KY jelly, and reads water soluble on the label. If I can remember, I will report the brand name after a trip to my hangar. I bought this stuff at Home Depot. If using the lube & stuff method, buy the root seal from RAPID.. theirs is thinner, softer, and easier to work with. The Performance Aero material is a good product, but quite stiff and thick... it is the one you would use if you are doing a bolt inspection, and moving the wing out to insert the material. I did install this thicker material by lubing and stuffing, but it is a real job due to the varying clearance available. Each plane is different, and you don't know how close the clearance will be until you are committed, and tear off the old seals.

INST
5000+ hours working
on 35s and 36s

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 14:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +814
Aircraft: 1965 Baron B55
Don't know if these have been circulated here or not, but here are some Wing Root Seal install pireps:

http://www.csobeech.com/wing-root-seal.html

Mike

1965 B55
KDTO-Denton, TX
N2023W SN: TC-971
http://www.CSOBeech.com

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2009, 14:35 

How did it go? Which "wire pulling lubricant" did you use? I'm replacing mine this summer...

i finnally got around to installing my wing root seals.it went very well.if i had known it would be this easy,i would have done it sooner.i set the new seal in the hot sun for awhile to soften it up.i cleaned the plane skin well with laquer thinner.i also cleaned the new seal real good with laquer thinner.i used a little ivory soap and water for the lubricant.i started on the bottom and worked my way up and around the top.it pretty much went right in.i did not have to cut ANY of the lip that goes under the skin.a couple of places were tight.i used a paint stir stick to help get the lip under the wing skin.it worked good and no scratches.
when i was done i rinsed it well with water and put it in the sun to dry.i came back the next day and used contack cement to glue it all down. it turned out awesome! first time i've ever done this and it looks 10 times better than my paint shop did,and i bet they have done a lot of them.the paint shop was MOD WORKS in punta gorda florida,so not a cheap shop.it took about 2 hours per side,and was well worth it.i will post some pics soon.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2009, 14:49 

Post Likes: +4377
Aircraft: PC12NG
I'd love to see some picks. My 2008 has a crappy seal job on it. The ends of the seal kind hang there and flop around.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2009, 01:34 

Post Likes: +31
Aircraft: Bonanza A36
Congrats - Brian, bring on the PICS! ;)

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]