Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: HondaJet going big
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 16:06 

Post Likes: +2222
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Username Protected wrote:
I'm thinking if it really does have a 2,600nm range that would be at a reduced power setting. So a coast-to-coast trip might be as long as 6-7 hours, longer if there is a headwind. I really hope they thought about single-pilot realities like having a bit of room to stretch while technically still seated at the controls and relieving oneself without it being too awkward (cockpit door/screen?)

I suspect, however, that on super-long flights the pilot is going to press for a second pilot, somewhat negating the advantage of the single-pilot sales angle.

Given what this thing costs new a second pilot is a small expense. For owner flown, it's easier to have a second pilot get the plane ready, put it away, help with clearances/charts, and fly while one uses the facilities, talks to family, etc.

Or they could just put a PTT switch by the toilet.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 17:04 

Post Likes: +1240

That might actually work, but you would have to move the toilet between the cockpit and the cabin, with a door on either side of the toilet so that it could be alternately used by the cockpit crew or the passengers. But such a design seems foolhardy and uneconomic as well as an engineering nightmare. No sane aircraft company would attempt it.

Much better just to convert the pilot's seat to a belted potty and keep a proper toilet in the rear for the passengers.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 17:16 

That might actually work, but you would have to move the toilet between the cockpit and the cabin, with a door on either side of the toilet so that it could be alternately used by the cockpit crew or the passengers. But such a design seems foolhardy and uneconomic as well as an engineering nightmare. No sane aircraft company would attempt it.

Much better just to convert the pilot's seat to a belted potty and keep a proper toilet in the rear for the passengers.

I didn't mean that seriously, having zero people in the cockpit is probably a bad idea.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 17:41 

Post Likes: +6112
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36
SJ30

I still want to see one of those in the flesh. They're such unique looking airplanes (in a good way)

There was one setting on ramp in San Angelo,Tx a few months ago and I walked around and peeked inside. The landing gear is very impressive, but very narrow and the tires seem very small.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 20:18 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Given what this thing costs new a second pilot is a small expense.

The second pilot is not about money, it is about convenience.

Having to get a second pilot is what I call "chartering the human". You now have all the issues of charter such as must be scheduled, has to be planned, lack of availability, etc. You don't own your own airplane to be subject to the problems of charter.

Having a second pilot while airborne is wonderful. Needing one at all other times is super painful. If they could be turned off and put in the baggage hold, then it would be no problem.

Mike C.

Last edited on 17 Jan 2022, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 21:24 

Post Likes: +3727
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
If they could be turned off and put in the baggage hold, then it would be no problem.

Oh, you want Otto!

Attachment:
Otto.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 21:50 

Post Likes: +257
Aircraft: Cessna T206H

Having to get a second pilot is what I call "chartering the human". You know have all the issues of charter such as must be scheduled, has to be planned, lack of availability, etc. You don't own your own airplane to be subject to the problems of charter.

Having a second pilot while airborne is wonderful. Needing one at all other times is super painful. If they could be turned off and put in the baggage hold, then it would be no problem.

Mike C.

Well said

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 21:56 

Post Likes: +6408
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33

Having to get a second pilot is what I call "chartering the human". You know have all the issues of charter such as must be scheduled, has to be planned, lack of availability, etc. You don't own your own airplane to be subject to the problems of charter.

Mike C.

You are surrounded by engineers. Do any of them have any aviation interests? It would be ideal if 2 or 3 of your team were passionate about flying AND had the experience to possibly be insured. Pay for some type ratings and give a bonus when travelling.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 22:40 

WWW  Profile

You are surrounded by engineers. Do any of them have any aviation interests? It would be ideal if 2 or 3 of your team were passionate about flying AND had the experience to possibly be insured. Pay for some type ratings and give a bonus when travelling.

None of that solves the underlying problem. They are still people with schedules and needs that won't align with yours at any given time.

I don't own a plane to "charter a human".

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 22:51 

Post Likes: +2503
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
I'm thinking if it really does have a 2,600nm range that would be at a reduced power setting. So a coast-to-coast trip might be as long as 6-7 hours, longer if there is a headwind. I really hope they thought about single-pilot realities like having a bit of room to stretch while technically still seated at the controls and relieving oneself without it being too awkward (cockpit door/screen?)

I suspect, however, that on super-long flights the pilot is going to press for a second pilot, somewhat negating the advantage of the single-pilot sales angle.

Exactly.

I fly 6-8 hour flights often in a big cockpit (was suppose to tonight, but it canceled) and there is no way I would want to sit in a a single-pilot cockpit for that long. If I sit for four hours, I can barely move to get out of the seat. That's also a DVT event waiting to happen.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 23:19 

Post Likes: +7925
Aircraft: C-182

Exactly.

I fly 6-8 hour flights often in a big cockpit (was suppose to tonight, but it canceled) and there is no way I would want to sit in a a single-pilot cockpit for that long. If I sit for four hours, I can barely move to get out of the seat. That's also a DVT event waiting to happen.

Not only that, but a businessman owner/pilot after prepping then flying a 6 to 8 hour leg, isn't going to bring his A game to the table in an important business meeting after landing, whereas when professionally flown the principals are better rested and more ready for a meeting upon arrival, then jet out of there after the meeting to the next business destination. What's that worth?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 23:40 

Post Likes: +6408
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
None of that solves the underlying problem. They are still people with schedules and needs that won't align with yours at any given time.

I don't own a plane to "charter a human".

Mike C.

Fair enough. Do you think there is a point at which you'd just want to hire a full time pilot? Even rhetorically - if your business doubled or tripled in size?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 23:59 

WWW  Profile

Do you think there is a point at which you'd just want to hire a full time pilot?

That still does not solve the problem.

I often fly on holidays to various places. Who takes a job where they have no holidays?

Chartering the human is a problem because they are human.

I have a pro pilot I can hire as SIC on a day basis, and I have a friend who volunteers to be SIC at times, so I do have an SIC on occasion. But I can't have one all the time even with TWO options.

For example, I have a day trip end of this week to CT, neither SIC option is available. I am flying single pilot.

Next week I have a trip to UT. My friend will be SIC for that trip.

The week after that, I have a multiday trip to FL, no SIC available to be there for 3-4 days.

If I required an SIC, the plane would be FAR less useful to me.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2022, 00:52 

Having to get a second pilot is what I call "chartering the human". You now have all the issues of charter such as must be scheduled, has to be planned, lack of availability, etc. You don't own your own airplane to be subject to the problems of charter.

Mike C.

There’s a big difference between having a 2nd pilot for convenience (HondaJet can be flown SP) and hiring a 1st pilot or you’re grounded.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2022, 01:13 

Post Likes: +345

Off topic, but they didn't have this integrity when I had my 79 Civic. Not long term durable and the dealer service was terrible.

Wow, a 43 year grudge!

What 1979 model car do you look back upon and regret not buying instead?

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next