Post subject: Re: Citation owners and pilots
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2022, 14:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
It’s not valid outside the US.

Technically, it isn't valid UNLESS the civil aviation authority in the foreign country allows it.

The SPE language:

"This exemption is not valid for operations outside the United States, except when the operator receives authorization from the appropriate civil aviation authority of the sovereign state in which the operator intends to operate. <Training vendor> must explain this obligation to any pilot who completes its approved single-pilot authorization course. A copy of this exemption must be provided to the foreign civil aviation authority upon request."

I've been told (but not confirmed so consider this rumor at best) that Bahamas and Canada have allowed the SPE. There is some question as to whether the allowance is blanket, all holders of a valid FAA SPE can operate that way, or whether each flight requires permission, or something in between like per operator permission.

Easiest way to solve this is have an SIC, but that is "chartering the human" and comes with various logistical issues. Having an SIC while flying is nice, though.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2022, 14:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10961
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66

so you're saying it not an issue?

At Cabo I had a registration issue. My bad...i didn't check prior to depature. The Commander was up in arms. I had to present a lot of docs. Answer a ton of questions. A real grilling. The matter was never raised. YMMV.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2022, 14:25 

Post Likes: +3661
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525
Mine just loves being legal and the ocean view in Baja.

Attachment:
793086F7-079D-448D-8571-F8A63530C844.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Altitude is Everything.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 01:00 

Post Likes: +2213
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
SPE is only valid in the United States. You are required to have two pilots for operations in Mexico. I believe second pilot also has to have a SIC rating.

Steve

I have done it to
San Carlos and Cabo with zero issue ymmv. Paging Alex G

Technically you are supposed to have two pilots, but I know of several 550/560s coming and going to Mexico and it has never been an issue as far as I know. The Comandant’s are more concerned with pilots flying in with expired registrations, and stamping the multiple copies of a flight plan than on the validity of the SPE.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 08:40 

Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Mine just loves being legal and the ocean view in Baja.

Attachment:
793086F7-079D-448D-8571-F8A63530C844.jpeg

Nice ride Rocky!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 19:07 

Post Likes: +149
Aircraft: G36
“ and stamping the multiple copies of a flight plan”

Stamps carry more weight in Mexico than anything.
Ever watch their customs or government officials get carried away with stamping?
Go to staples and buy some “paid, filed, entered” stamps of different colors and see how much more accepting they are. Not a joke

Rdn

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 20:51 

Post Likes: +1700
Company: N/A - Retired
“ and stamping the multiple copies of a flight plan”

Stamps carry more weight in Mexico than anything.
Ever watch their customs or government officials get carried away with stamping?
Go to staples and buy some “paid, filed, entered” stamps of different colors and see how much more accepting they are. Not a joke

Rdn

Be sure to include some colorful ribbons held in place with wax seals.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 10:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180
For anyone wondering, I made the trip to Hermosillo and Cabo with no issues single pilot. It would seem based on the responses I got on the Facebook forum for Citation pilots that I deserved certificate revocation for merely asking about flying SP in Mexico. Turns out I am unsafe, an accident waiting to happen and a clown for even considering it much less attempting it. I am curious how the plane knows when I cross the border and specifically how that makes it/me unsafe but so far, no answers on that question.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 10:39 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +228
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
For anyone wondering, I made the trip to Hermosillo and Cabo with no issues single pilot. It would seem based on the responses I got on the Facebook forum for Citation pilots that I deserved certificate revocation for merely asking about flying SP in Mexico. Turns out I am unsafe, an accident waiting to happen and a clown for even considering it much less attempting it. I am curious how the plane knows when I cross the border and specifically how that makes it/me unsafe but so far, no answers on that question.

^ This is why I left ProPilotWorld, any question out of the ordinary was met with "that's unsafe", you should charge $2,000 / day (exaggeration) for flying, and pistons are unsafe and should not be flown with family on board. Some of the FB forums are about the same with group think.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 10:40 

One would think that fellow Citation pilots would be a little more supportive. Maybe some of those in the FB group are wannabes?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 10:59 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC

I would never say its unsafe. What it does is give authorities an avenue to harass you or hold you up. Like going to Mexico without a 406 ELT. Not unsafe just may be flying in a N authorized mechanic to install one before you leave. Group of guys flew their PC12 around the world without a HF radio. The plane was stuck on an island in Polynesia somewhere while they got techs in to install one before they were allowed to leave.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 11:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180

One would think that fellow Citation pilots would be a little more supportive. Maybe some of those in the FB group are wannabes?

What I learned is that there are number of pilots who make their living occupying right seats as SIC, getting owners to cover costly training. They enjoy $1200 days and nice meals with per diems and the notion that they are not needed is met with ferocity. Much like bureaucrats and politicians. Its incumbent on them to prove their worth.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 15:46 

Post Likes: +2381
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
I noticed the same with the FB groups. Not my kind of space. Different cats over there.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 15:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9073
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza

Not sure what was said on FB, and I don't think it's unsafe but my concern with doing that as a matter of practice is that you might have gotten lucky with El Commandante. They vary widely in terms of what they choose to enforce. Technically a 406 ELT is required too, but I'm told they never check but I'm unsure I want to take the chance of ending up like this guy: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=194893

Glad it worked for you!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 12:02 

Post Likes: +3661
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525

Did you get any birds?

Altitude is Everything.

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next