banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 14:15 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2021, 21:33 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
Username Protected wrote:
Opportunity does not wait for you to make up your mind. It's here today and gone tomorrow, maybe this afternoon. Things happen a lot quicker today than say 20 years ago, or, 10 years for that matter.

I am glad that I am far too mature to take “hurry up” as sage advice.

Jg

I must have missed it John, why not just buy a proper Aerostar? Not just a kind of good one on paper, but a really good one? You already know how to fly it, it has the best engines, great support, it’s fast and doesn’t burn much gas, nothing handles better, and you’re not needing to carry 8 pax right? Spend the money and enjoy.

That antique version of one of the least desirable Commanders that we talked about is a relative boat anchor. And most know I’m the biggest Commander fan in the world.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2021, 21:40 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
Im getting 1-2 email per week of dealers wanting to buy my TBM with 0 comission...

Hey Marc,

I hope all is well! Those dealers are either getting paid a commission by a buyer to act as their acquisition agent or they are looking to buy your TBM for their own inventory and then resell it at a higher number later. This is a very common practice as you know. I get the same emails/letters/post cards from my competitors for my own plane (and I suspect most people on BeechTalk get similar mail as well).

-Neal

If you guys flew Navions or even Hansa Jets you wouldn’t be bothered by those pesky brokers :peace:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 08:08 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
Opportunity does not wait for you to make up your mind. It's here today and gone tomorrow, maybe this afternoon. Things happen a lot quicker today than say 20 years ago, or, 10 years for that matter.

I am glad that I am far too mature to take “hurry up” as sage advice.

Jg

Taking advantage of opportunity is not synonymous with “hurry up.” I’m way to mature to suggest as such. Opportunity always presents itself. Whether one takes advantage of it, or not, it is up to the person it is presented to.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 08:19 

Post Likes: +1606
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
The public is seriously ignorant on GA. How do you dumb it down enough to get those involved, or how do you educate those interested? I’m told that DPEs are disgusted with the majority of the applicants. This is due to what the CFIs are presenting for evaluation.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 08:30 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Tom,

I understand your point and you understand mine. Opportunity does raise its head, but there is a huge difference between a well located plot of land and a 40 year old airplane that requires an abundance of inspection and caution.

I can recall only one instance when I dawdled and lost a good opportunity on a land purchase. That was in fact, more of "looking a gift horse in the mouth" than acting too slow. The parcel was a bargain and I offered and even lower price. Another buyer came in a week later and made the purchase. I could have quadrupled my money in less than a year quite easily.

I got greedy, not slow.

The current aircraft market is a mine field for buyers. IMO, what ever you buy is going down in price substantially in the next two years. Thankfully, I don't HAVE to buy anything.

Jg

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 08:40 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
I didn’t know, or, understand that you were weighing a plot of land against the prospect of purchasing an airplane. I now understand exactly where you are coming from and I agree with your approach. I have already been there.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 08:55 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Yes Tom. Lots lost in the written word sometimes. We have to be careful not to hold that against one another. :thumbup:

Jg

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 11:11 

Post Likes: +4406
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
When you currently have two flying planes, 50 plus years of flying and thousands of hours flying the Northern continent there is no “HURRY UP”.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 13:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7252
Company: Jet Acquisitions
There's always three stages... want to buy, need to buy and have to buy.

I think waiting is a probably a good strategy for someone who just wants to buy. In the past the market has always gone back down, I think it will again, though hyper-inflation looms and that may not be the case this time. Airplane values went up in the late 70's and early 80's... they never went back down.

If someone needs to buy, they are in this market for better or worse, the trick is to keep your head about you and not do anything stupid.

The HAVE to buy guys... well they are creating the stupidity, if you have to buy for tax purposes, you are able and willing to pay above market for an airplane because the tax advantages overcome the higher price.

Bruce eluded to a good strategy, go buy something with less demand. There's a lot of really good airplanes out there without the buying pressure of the popular ones.

For my piston friends... consider yourself lucky. The turbine market is nuts. My best advice, start now, take your time and wait for the right airplane / deal. I'd add to that, you're going to have to hire someone (doesn't have to be us) to find an airplane for you. The reality is that airplanes that are decent deals are sold before they ever make it to Controller. (give me a sec to run a couple of numbers and I'll give you an example)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 13:47 

WWW  Profile

The reality is that airplanes that are decent deals are sold before they ever make it to Controller. (give me a sec to run a couple of numbers and I'll give you an example)

Let's take the Pilatus PC-12NG, that's a market we are currently very active in.

There are 9 PC-12NG's listed on Controller. That doesn't mean 9 that are available and worth buying... that's just listed. (excluding the fractional BS)

Anyone want to guess how many PC-12NG's have sold this year?

93!

Of those only 36 were listed on Controller... that means that 57 were off market. Those buyers either knew the seller or had someone find the airplane for them.

The interesting part is that the 36 that were advertised were largely older models or less desirable airplanes. Only a handful of the newer, nicer airplanes made it to Controller and that is over this entire calendar year!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 14:44 

Post Likes: +1055
Aircraft: V35, PA28-180
The reality is that airplanes that are decent deals are sold before they ever make it to Controller. (give me a sec to run a couple of numbers and I'll give you an example)

Let's take the Pilatus PC-12NG, that's a market we are currently very active in.

There are 9 PC-12NG's listed on Controller. That doesn't mean 9 that are available and worth buying... that's just listed. (excluding the fractional BS)

93!

Of those only 36 were listed on Controller... that means that 57 were off market. Those buyers either knew the seller or had someone find the airplane for them.

The interesting part is that the 36 that were advertised were largely older models or less desirable airplanes. Only a handful of the newer, nicer airplanes made it to Controller and that is over this entire calendar year!

Good info, thanks!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 16:24 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58

93!

Chip, I assume that the 93 units are all used/pre-owned, not new.
If so, surprising that only 39% of the planes sold via Controller and over 60% traded off Controller.

Is this typical or is this peculiar to the current crazy market?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 16:42 

Post Likes: +1240
If so, surprising that only 39% of the planes sold via Controller and over 60% traded off Controller.

Is it unusual for "only" 39% of airplane sales to go through Controller? 39% seems pretty spectacular for a single website.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 16:52 

Post Likes: +5224
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Is it unusual for "only" 39% of airplane sales to go through Controller? 39% seems pretty spectacular for a single website.

If I were publicly listing a pc12… it would be on controller. Several other websites as well.

Whether it would sell “through” controller is another question

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 16:58 

WWW  Profile

Yes, this is just the NG, so the NGX numbers would include new.

I was actually surprised the number was that high, I'm guessing that if I pull the parameters back to six months, the disparity gets greater.

And yes, Controller is so dominate that we say "Controller" in reference to all advertised aircraft. The majority of other sites simply copy what is on Controller and post on their own sites... without every updating the listings.

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 140  Next