28 Mar 2024, 11:37 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Wife wants to learn to fly
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 10:52 

Post Likes: +6500
Aircraft: OPAs
I've taught a few students. Taught my son in a T-6, taught an (ex) girlfriend in a 182.

It seems you would have the resources to "get what she wants".

My suggestion is get her a ride in every airplane that appeals to her. Let her fly it, and make sure that the control forces aren't too high for her (182 is comparatively heavy...Husky has a high flare force, etc...)

If you find one that makes her face light up, buy that one. Doesn't matter if it's tailwheel or not. With the right instructor, tailwheel can be mastered, it just takes patience. But I agree with Mike...do *not* push tailwheel on her.

"Find the fun". (i.e., what really motivates her..and remember, that can change over time).

I would strongly recommend against learning in a rental plane. With rare exception, rental fleets have enough bureaucratic obstacles that it will complicate her life. If you have a plane that she can fly any time that the weather cooperates, and her schedule cooperates, it will be more enjoyable for her.

Sounds like she (and you) are busy enough that having that schedule flexibility will be helpful.

The best investment you can make for the remainder of your flying life is having her fall in love with flying.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 12:01 

Post Likes: +4872
Company: USAF Simulator Instructor
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
I taught Kathy to fly in her Ercoupe. We’re still happily married but we’re probably the only couple in the US, perhaps in the world, who can make that claim.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 12:58 

Post Likes: +556
Aircraft: 1981 Baron B55
At my local airport, there are three pilots who learned in tailwheels. One has dropped out of aviation, after getting his Private then Commercial ASEL. Never got an instrument or multi rating.

Another has his Private and a very nice SEL plane and has spent years trying to get an instrument rating, which is not going to happen.

The third got his Private, IFR, and multi but has had several bad incidents which should not have happened.

I used to own part of a J-3 Cub and thought it was great fun, but learning to fly in a tailwheel is not a good idea. Yes, they did it in the old days but standards and requirements were quite different. I think it is great for pilots to learn tailwheel - after they have their private.

Learning to fly these days is difficult enough. Making it harder for the sake of tradition seems to me to be not only futile but counter productive. I have yet to see results that indicate it makes for a better, safer pilot.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 12:59 

Post Likes: +1712
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
My first thought is taildragger. I absolutely love my 2005 Citabria.
You all ready said earlier no taildragger instructors so that is out.

Doesn't take long at all to mull over Mike's post stating only really enthusiastic students are best in TD to change my mind a bit on starting in a TD anyway.

Cirrus and Columbia....one word...NO...I had both and LOVE both!!

Too phast in pattern. too phast landing...for a new student.

I think most of us after flying a while have a hard time remembering being behind in a 172 as a student. I still remember.

Students need slow airplanes to train in!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 13:10 

Post Likes: +7871
Aircraft: OPA
I'd vote for a nice Archer. Lower panel to see over, easy to fuel, no ladders. Dirt simple to work on, decent UL. Absolutely no bad manners, and fast enough for 200 mile trips. Just find one that hasn't been a trainer for 20+ years already.

On the other hand, I did know a couple with his and hers 550 powered T34s. :D

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 13:54 

Post Likes: +4780
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
A used Icon might work also. Incredibly easy to fly but isn’t going to teach traditional skills like VORs but maybe that doesn’t really matter anymore?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 13:59 

It does matter. Also, aside from any criticism of the Icon itself, their contract forbids you from using anyone other than their instructors, which can be a very big problem. You must also, contractually, use only their mechanics.

In order to obtain a Private Pilot Certificate, demonstrating the use of VOR's is required.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 14:03 

Username Protected wrote:
It does matter. Also, aside from any criticism of the Icon itself, their contract forbids you from using anyone other than their instructors, which can be a very big problem. You must also, contractually, use only their mechanics.

In order to obtain a Private Pilot Certificate, demonstrating the use of VOR's is required.

I don’t know if that contract applies to a used Icon. Also, how does anyone get a private in a J-3 Cub if you must demonstrate VOR skills?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 14:05 

Post Likes: +5264
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T

I don’t know if that contract applies to a used Icon. Also, how does anyone get a private in a J-3 Cub if you must demonstrate VOR skills?

when you find the VOR, circle it and rock your wings I suppose. That, or drop a bag of flour on it.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 14:23 

It does, unfortunately apply to a used Icon.

Because of the VOR requirement and the attitude flying requirement, that is simulated instrument flight, you can no longer get a Private in a J-3.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 16:51 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Great advice from all. I’m going to let her solo and buy her what she wants IF she wants anything but I really like those Tigers.

A number of Cheetahs were converted to the 180 HP engine that flies in the Tiger. If you can't find a Tiger, perhaps a Cheegar would do, either purchased that way or converted after purchase. I had a friend go that route and he loved the airplane. AFaIK the conversion is dirt cheap if an overhaul is due anyway.

Also here's a couple AvConsumer articles on the AA5 series:

http://grumman.net/cgrcc/aa5.html

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/mainte ... nd-tigers/

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 21:41 

A Cheetah with a O-360 180 HP engine would be effectively a Tiger. I am not sure, but don't think there were any other important differences.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 22:07 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
I think a standard trainer, C152, C172, PA28 etc is a fine way to learn. The skills needed for a PP don't really depend on the aircraft type. The old trainers are rugged and safe. The simplicity means spending time learning to FLY, not systems management.

Once she has flown a bit she will will have a much better idea of the type of flying she likes to do. Were stalls nerve-wracking, or fun and she wants to learn acro. Does she enjoy a relaxed flight watching the scenery go by, or does she want bigger faster better. Does she like the simplicity of analog gauges, or does she want a flying computer.

These are all fine things, and pilots vary in what they want. I had no idea what sort of flying I would enjoy until I had flown for a while.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 22:23 

My point was that the panel height and control forces, particularly on a 172 are often a problem for women flight students as I have repeatedly seen.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 22:25 

I have not looked at single engines in a while but there’s literally nothing to buy for a reasonable price except Bellanca Vikings! I flew one once and really liked it. Probably a terrible trainer but still a great value for what it does. My search was brand non discriminatory.

I could have sworn pretty Archers were $60k 2 years ago but now run outs are $120k. Something will pop I imagine with patience.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next