28 Mar 2024, 17:42 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Wife wants to learn to fly
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 19:17 

Post Likes: +4784
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Great advice from all. I’m going to let her solo and buy her what she wants IF she wants anything but I really like those Tigers.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 19:20 

Username Protected wrote:
Tell her to get as job :hide:

Lol, she does A OK on her own. Crypto coin wizard and a dentist.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 19:32 

Funny thing is I’ve been looking at Tigers casually and they seem to sell in 14 minutes after getting listed

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 19:32 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Two suggestions:

Any American Champion product, and

you don't dare instruct her.

I tried the second.

BAAAAAD IDEA.

JG

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 19:50 

Post Likes: +1270
Aircraft: C501SP
If you think she will be sitting up front and flying what you're selling, I would start her in an SR20. She needs to get used to the glass, the A/P, the low wing, and the speeds. She can use the same platform from PP through Instrument.

This is what my wife is doing. We have a club here w/ a few Cirri so she is able to rent while learning.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 20:02 

Agreed with JGG, you cannot instruct your own wife; maybe your kid but not your wife. What about an Arrow? I loved that plane when learning to fly.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 20:19 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Friends wife and I were learning at the same time. He had a C150 she learned in and he had a 1957 C182 beauty. After she got her license she hated flying the 182 because she thought the controls were so “heavy”. Took her several years to adapt.

She got fed up and got a TD endorsement in a Champ and now loves tail draggers. Hell of a stick now. I think youre on the right track to not really settle in on something to look for till after solo and honestly she should get her license training all in one plane. Hard enough it seemed to me.

Be happy mine isn't interested. Daughter might be soon at 34.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 20:41 

Post Likes: +417
Aircraft: 1978 Bonanza A36TN
My wife decided to get her license after many years as a passenger. She was motivated by the thought that I could be incapacitated and something would happen to the children! :eek:

We decided to create a partnership with 3 others and found a 140 Cherokee with basic 1972 avionics package.

She was quickly bitten with the bug and now we have to negotiate who is flying what leg of the flight! :lol:

She feels there was a lot of value in keeping it simple. She focused on hand flying and using an iPad with ForeFlight. She even went on and got her instrument ticket in the same airplane with just a pair of VORs (and I made the ADF inop for her! :). ) This was 2.5 years ago.

Agreed on not teaching her yourself... :). I did a lot of flying with her between lessons to build her confidence but I made sure the instructor knew that was the plan.

She learned to use the GTN 750 while flying with me in the Bonanza so no worry about learning GPS approaches etc.

We have hung onto the partnership so she has something she feels comfortable flying herself.

I would have loved to find a Tiger but had the same problem - very few on the market...

Good luck and if you or she want to discuss further feel free to PM.

Jeff .

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 23:03 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
She’s used to nice planes. My wife would be pissed if I told her to learn in a ratty 172. Get a tiger and put in a nice G3X. Keep it about 3 years. I’ll need it then. :D

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 23:22 

Post Likes: +584
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
It sounds like you have the resources, so go buy what you think is best and have her go for It. If it is like I have found with teaching people all kinds of new hobbies, the most important thing is she has fun initially. thus if the Grumman tiger is best, bite the bullet and go for it. Money is not the most important thing by far in this situation. in any event, if it is expensive you can probably get most of your money out if she moves onto something else.

Personally I like Cherokees. a good recent fixed gear warrior or Dakota is what I would look for. simple with a simple panel not huge amounts of glass and a simple panel presentation. in many ways I think a good steam gauge panel is best as each instrument is separate and shows basically one thing and it is easy to figure out what each one is important for.

If she is a dentist she is used to complex stuff and with all the gadgets a dentist needs to use complex instruments might not be a problem at all.

The number one thing is that the student has fun early on.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 02:16 

Post Likes: +556
Aircraft: 1981 Baron B55
Totally up to you, of course, but most of the students who get frustrated and drop out of aviation do so either before the solo or immediately after. They have simply found it too difficult and frustrating. Most who drop out never return. I have particularly seen far too many promising women students drop out because (in my view) the airplane did not suit them.

If she finds the plane difficult to handle because of either the panel height (most common problem) or the control forces, she may get discouraged and quit.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 02:46 

Post Likes: +1240
Totally up to you, of course, but most of the students who get frustrated and drop out of aviation do so either before the solo or immediately after. They have simply found it too difficult and frustrating. Most who drop out never return. I have particularly seen far too many promising women students drop out because (in my view) the airplane did not suit them.

If she finds the plane difficult to handle because of either the panel height (most common problem) or the control forces, she may get discouraged and quit.

Maybe, but if the motivating factor is learning to fly to be able to take over if something happens to the husband and save the kids, it's amazing what women are capable of.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 08:15 

Post Likes: +10440
Aircraft: 182

This is the biggest reason why I would want only the most highly motivated student to learn in a taildragger.

Everyone talks a big story about learning in a TG, but you need a somewhat timid student to have success early.

I’ve seen multiple drop outs or near drop outs right at the point described above. Yes, they will make better pilots if they learned in a taildragger.....blah blah blah.....but If they don’t get to the check ride, what did you accomplish?

Highly motivated, hang- out-at-the-airport with Dad types learning in a taildragger?........sure.

insert anecdotal stories here

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 08:38 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Mike,

Unfortunately, I agree with you. :bugeye: Frustration is a big hurdle to a primary student. So, you are fighting two battles, making it easy vs. indoctrinating good habits.

I taught the boys to fly in the Cub. By age eleven, they were both proficient. When John Jr. flew his first tri-gear, a 172, at age 14, we were barely off the ground when he said: "This is so easy. Why didn't you teach us in a 172?"

When Grant was 14, after three years in the Cub and Decathlon, he said he wanted to fly my Beech 18. I gave him about ten minutes of oral as to what to expect, he took the left seat, and we flew. His wheel landing was text book, and I never touched the controls.

But you are right. I tried to teach Karen in the Cub and it never took. She did it, but I darn near got put out of the house after some lessons.

It is not only a fine line, but an individual one.

Jg

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 09:38 

Post Likes: +10440
Aircraft: 182
Mike,

Unfortunately, I agree with you. :bugeye: Frustration is a big hurdle to a primary student. So, you are fighting two battles, making it easy vs. indoctrinating good habits.

I taught the boys to fly in the Cub. By age eleven, they were both proficient. When John Jr. flew his first tri-gear, a 172, at age 14, we were barely off the ground when he said: "This is so easy. Why didn't you teach us in a 172?"

When Grant was 14, after three years in the Cub and Decathlon, he said he wanted to fly my Beech 18. I gave him about ten minutes of oral as to what to expect, he took the left seat, and we flew. His wheel landing was text book, and I never touched the controls.

But you are right. I tried to teach Karen in the Cub and it never took. She did it, but I darn near got put out of the house after some lessons.

It is not only a fine line, but an individual one.

Jg

Trying to coach my spouse during her PPL was a big mistake....for her confidence and our relationship. ( Cfi’s earn every penny) Today, she is quite proficient and she will be starting some basic backcountry skills this week.

Confidence is important. I have this wife that can chap the hide off surly wanna-be surgery residents when they rotate through her specialty during internship but confidence in flying was long in coming. A taildragger would have been a deal killer in those early months.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next