banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 13:05 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Considering buying a Meridian
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 17:29 

Post Likes: +334
Aircraft: Bonanza - 1997 A36TN
There are other new things on the current model like the big red emergency button. The bigger wing gives you more fuel=longer range but most of the specs are similar although they are slightly better in the M600, but not enough for me to spend the extra $$. For me the range is critical because if I have to make a fuel stop my Bonanza is quicker.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 20:13 

Post Likes: +311
Username Protected wrote:

Well, there are some nice differences with the M600..... Please slow for the lear jet ahead, you are showing 90 knots faster ;-). The Vmo does allow you to often stay on the arrivals, making sequencing a little easier for ATC, and getting you on the ground a good bit faster. It is a heavier stronger aircraft, and does fly a bit differently. But the M500 can't be beat for overall acquisition and operating cost.

This. There's a lot of barber pole dancing in a Meridian.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 20:29 

Post Likes: +502
Aircraft: C510
There are other new things on the current model like the big red emergency button. The bigger wing gives you more fuel=longer range but most of the specs are similar although they are slightly better in the M600, but not enough for me to spend the extra $$. For me the range is critical because if I have to make a fuel stop my Bonanza is quicker.

This is not what I experienced when transitioning from my Mirage into the Meridian. My Mirage made my 1000 nm trip non stop a good portion of the time, my Meridian only once. However I still made it slightly quicker, even with the fuel stop, in the Meridian. Given the bonanza is slower than the Mirage, I would think that margin would be even greater. Throw in weather capability and.......

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 20:38 

Post Likes: +41
The main difference for me between the M500 and M600 is the range. Everything else is pretty similar.

Well, there are some nice differences with the M600..... Please slow for the lear jet ahead, you are showing 90 knots faster ;-). The Vmo does allow you to often stay on the arrivals, making sequencing a little easier for ATC, and getting you on the ground a good bit faster. It is a heavier stronger aircraft, and does fly a bit differently. But the M500 can't be beat for overall acquisition and operating cost.

Attachment:
1.jpg

Interestingly, I have the same Vmo in the Mustang (250 KIAS) and I find it quite restrictive. I’m constantly unable on the speeds on arrival procedures.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 21:11 

Post Likes: +42
Aircraft: Bonanza a36
My quote was for 800k hull value

Not so sure about the 10 hours dual after initial. I would need to do some of the initial in the airplane most likely because of the avionics.

I had a discussion a few years ago about the Bonanza with my broker and what seat I could be pilot in command. He said left seat, I said my Bonanza is dual control and show in the policy where it says pilot in command is left seat he couldn’t. Point is read the whole policy

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 00:31 

Post Likes: +3576
Aircraft: Piper M600
Interestingly, I have the same Vmo in the Mustang (250 KIAS) and I find it quite restrictive. I’m constantly unable on the speeds on arrival procedures.

Yeah, you will still get pulled off some arrivals, and sometimes given TP altitudes which can run 2000 ft. below the jet altitudes. However I have found that if you can maintain at least 210 KIAS which is doable with the M600 even in level flight, you will usually get routing straight into the terminal. In the Meridian, seems like I was vectored a good bit more. Still not going to be able to meet most descend via instructions unless you get the descend via... except ;-)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 01:30 

Cirrus SF50 suffers the same issue.

We have performance based approaches (cat A-E approach speeds), why not have performance based arrivals?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 11:56 

Post Likes: +2731

Cirrus SF50 suffers the same issue.

We have performance based approaches (cat A-E approach speeds), why not have performance based arrivals?

spacing.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 14:32 

Post Likes: +1203
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
That probably the biggest issue I have with my slow 421 (200 VMO). Arrivals are a mess for them to sequence us in. I fly into Van Nuys, SLC, and Phoenix all with arrivals and when I am there it make a lot of work for the controllers.

It would be nice to have different arrivals for different performance. Seems the arrivals are all made for the fast jets.

I honestly thought a Mustang would keep up, interesting that even that jet has a hard time.

Mike

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 15:03 

Post Likes: +41
That probably the biggest issue I have with my slow 421 (200 VMO). Arrivals are a mess for them to sequence us in. I fly into Van Nuys, SLC, and Phoenix all with arrivals and when I am there it make a lot of work for the controllers.

It would be nice to have different arrivals for different performance. Seems the arrivals are all made for the fast jets.

I honestly thought a Mustang would keep up, interesting that even that jet has a hard time.

Mike

It depends where you fly too but I get the SILCN4 arrival a lot (like last weekend) and I always have to say I can do it except my max speed is 250KTS and can't make the 280KTS from TROX to VLLEY

The reality is that while I love the Mustang it is slow for a jet. And the M600 and Meridian are even slower (I know they aren't jets) so I wouldn't expect to feel like you're really going fast since you're mixing with much faster traffic in the FLs/terminal environment where the big boys are.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 15:55 

spacing.

That seems like something a performance based arrivals would resolve.

Picture this: the arrival calls out minimum required speeds using straight and level performance. This let's a pilot reference their POH to see if the plane is capable. The arrival can have a max descent speed component where ATC knows not to request any higher and pilots can cross check with their airplane's Vne, Vno, or use their own discretion if they want to pick a slower arrival. If you feel like using a slower arrival, just request it.

In other words, ditch the "for turbojets/turboprops only." They're not all created equally. Never understood that.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 18:42 

Post Likes: +3576
Aircraft: Piper M600

Mike

Huh? Isn't a 421 a piston? Pistons don't have Vmo's they have Vno which is the top of the green arc ;) No green arc in a Turbine just the barber pole. Well Vmo is close to Vno as to how they determine certification, but in a turbine is best thought of as the lower of Vno and Vne.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 21:26 

Post Likes: +1203
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
Charles,

yes you are correct. But I am limited to 200 in the decent. Which is basically the same as VMO. Haha. Should have clarified. Top of green is where I have to stay. Given the air in most my decent I would not push past that. For most arrivals I am 190ish and really messing up the sequence.

Mike

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 21:08 

Post Likes: +42
Aircraft: Bonanza a36
It’s been 90 days since I started the post, just under a week ago I flew my Bonanza and saw a 200 knot ground speed. Later that day we took my new to me 2001 Meridian to Florida for initial training and saw 307 knots ground speed! Tomorrow I head home to minnesota, that is one compelling reason why the purchase. Heck this thing cost less than three year old Bonanza or cirrus to buy! Yes it will cost more to maintain and insure.

My insurance requirement was initial training to include 10 hours in the airplane.

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 21:42 

Aircraft: C182
It’s been 90 days since I started the post, just under a week ago I flew my Bonanza and saw a 200 knot ground speed. Later that day we took my new to me 2001 Meridian to Florida for initial training and saw 307 knots ground speed! Tomorrow I head home to minnesota, that is one compelling reason why the purchase. Heck this thing cost less than three year old Bonanza or cirrus to buy! Yes it will cost more to maintain and insure.

My insurance requirement was initial training to include 10 hours in the airplane.

You’re a lucky guy! Enjoy

Best,

Tom

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next