banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 07:18 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Our Vision for the BeechTalk Community
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 21:48 

Post Likes: +313
Company: I am the company.
Aircraft: 1975 F33A
How about eliminating “Babble Talk”.

Just Aviation.

Last edited on 31 Mar 2020, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 21:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Jeff & Jeff.

My business coach Dan Sullivan says "all progress begins with telling the truth". I applaud you both for not only the circumspection required to come to your decision but your commitment to it.

BT began as a special place and it still is. Still, like a boiled frog, things have slipped over time. It's hard to notice as it happens but it has happened. I'd begun to wonder if people had become exempt from expected norms for some reason. I finally decided the foe button was my only defense. An idea that, itself, is completely inconsistent with a place where I have made so many friends.

So, BRAVO! to you both for taking action. I look forward to a general improvement made possible by the introspection of all of us who choose to remain, and the disappearance of those who do not.

Tony

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 21:58 

Post Likes: +3728
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
I would suggest that things are not so dire. There are many worse boards out there with many topics. Unfortunately the internet brings out the worst in many of us.

Personally, I like that most of the crap is segregated into Babble Talk or whatever. It only spills over occasionally.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:08 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG
A couple other forums I’m on have a Politics section. “Enter at your own risk”. Having a place for political discussion eliminates it from all other sections of the forum. Those that don’t want political discussion can just block the forum. It works.

Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:14 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
Jeff and Jeff,

Kudos to both of you for doing an amazing job. I have three small kids that try to kill each other every day. You have 60,000!

Care to give some online parenting classes while we’re stuck at home?

BT is a special place thanks to your vision, hard work and dedication to make it that way.

-ad

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:20 

Post Likes: +1113
Aircraft: 1977 A36
Interesting. I stepped away for awhile. One thing I noticed recently is that there will only be @20 people online. I can remember nights when there were always 50-70. What happened? Did we lose touch with our base (i.e. flying and maintaining Beechcraft airplanes)? Did a lot of us just burn out? Did we just saturate the common airplane topics?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:20 

Post Likes: +10456
Company: Forever a Student Pilot
Aircraft: 1947 Bonanza 35
Username Protected wrote:
Jeff and Jeff,

Kudos to both of you for doing an amazing job. I have three small kids that try to kill each other every day. You have 60,000!

Care to give some online parenting classes while we’re stuck at home?

BT is a special place thanks to your vision, hard work and dedication to make it that way.

-ad

:clap: :bow: :thumbup: :cheers: Thank You for That Point of View Antoni, well Said :thumbup: :bud:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:40 

Post Likes: +6408
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
I have nothing to add of any real substance.

Keep up the good work. Don't be so hard on yourself.

This is the best place on the internet.

The occasional time-out might help more than you know - both the forum and the person.

It's taking everything I have to not post a BAN HAMMER gif and giggle at my cleverness.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:56 

Post Likes: +3661
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525
Jeff and Jeff, ya are are being to sensitive. Everyone is at home locked in what else are we gonna do but bitch? We can only talk about our polished spinner so many times. Besides coming home and kicking the dog and Netflix I look forward to see who has thought of a new angle to say the same thing. BTW and I am sure I am not alone on this, some of this exchanging ideas in this sanitary environment gives me new ammo when I go outside.

Altitude is Everything.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 23:09 

Post Likes: +2437
I must say the CV19 threads are the biggest single topic ever on BT. This CV19 is a personal subject that can eventually effect anyone. There has been nothing like it that I can remember. It brings out a response that touches all areas of our personalities.

There is an unbelievable amount of daily posting. You can take a day off and when you come back there could be 50+ pages posted. It magnifies everything that drives us. The political, the fear of the unknown and trying to make sense of it. At times I get annoyed
with some of the conversations and have to pull away for a while. They occasionally lose their focus for a while.

I do find the same thing in other threads just not to the extent in the CV19 threads. We used to have this with the former political threads. But this is different because it is combined with a need to understand and a need to release the tension that has disrupted our lives. Making sense of it and the fear of losing control of both your present and future is very unsettling.

The BT family has gotten very large. I haven’t posted as much for a few years. It is still an aviation family I have made a lot of long term friends from this site. In hindsight removing the political talk was a positive thing. Although, It is only human nature that it still pops up. Many have strong feeling and it only takes one comment to set off a response. That will never change.

Just my thoughts,
RussD

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 23:11 

Post Likes: +1662
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman
The community here tends to be kind and supportive, and I often tout Beechtalk to others as a bit of fresh air in an otherwise-polluted internet.

As a case in point, I recently posted some information in a thread. I made a typo in that information, and my error was pointed out to me in a manner that not just flagged the error but added very useful detail to the conversation.

That same discussion thread resulted in a private message which included a private individual's request to call him to further discuss the technical in's and out's.

Where else on the internet would you feel safe to provide your private phone number to some stranger on the other side of the continent?

Jeff and Jeff... please ask yourselves this same question. Ask yourselves if you have achieved your goals, whether they are reflected in the vast majority of interactions between BT members. We know there will always be a bad apple. We know somebody is going to have a bad day. We know somebody will hit "submit" before they've had an opportunity to fully review their post. At the end of the day, this discussion forum sees a few of these negative instances as aberrations rather than the norm.

I believe you have created and are maintaining a discussion forum which cleaves tight to your original goals. I thank you for the time and effort you put into keeping this site not only viable but, most importantly, truly enjoyable. It's a haven in an otherwise crazy world.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 00:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +11835
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
Jeff^2,

I take a bit of a different view. IMHO no apologies are in order. You have created and maintained the most beloved website in which I have ever participated.

The balance of aviation, information, entertainment, and comradery is, again, IMHO as inspired as our country's founding documents. I mean that. I've rarely seen such a caring group as the BT brotherhood, and that is as inclusive of our ladies as the word mankind.

For instance :
One of our pilots, while in a friend's plane, was involved in a mechanical failure crash that nearly cost his life. Just two weeks earlier he and his wife had taken in three foster children in an effort to keep these little ones from being separated. This crash put our brother, who was in the aviation industry, out of work for nearly a year.

The bank was foreclosing on his home and without bedrooms the foster children were to be taken and separated in the system.

By the time BT knew of this brother's plight thousands of dollars were needed in less than a week. It looked unlikely...until BT stepped up and in three days raised enough to save this brother's home and children. But because it was December, BTers kept giving and by Christmas raised over $50,000!

That's your failed website!

I too flinch at times when some are a bit too crass towards others and I'm all for warnings and sanctions where necessary, but I would also encourage those verbally accosted not to be too thin skinned.

Some time ago I was chastened out the wazoo after a particular poor post. I considered how much I respected the BT braintrust, and I figured if the guys and gals I respect so much disagree maybe I'm not so right after all. It made me research and ponder my position and without being too self depreciating, I'll just say, I learned a lot and righted a long held wrong.

One of my favorite books says, "faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." I'd rather be chewed out and put in my place by someone who cares enough about me to make me better than salved by some sweet talking b-kisser who doesn't give a flip about my accuracy.

A few days ago in a CV thread that got a bit testy I wrote the following...
I take a view that is widly practiced but I find not often expressed. BeechTalk wouldn't be here if it didn't attract us for reasons we each have. The fact that so many participate is a testament to BT's value.

It concerns me a lot more when we threaten to, or actually withhold participation because we don't like the way others participate, than the forms of participation.

I look forward to reading everyone's views on this virus and I implore everyone to keep participating.

We may moan about it not being factual enough, too argumentative, immature or even too elitist. It may be too opinionated, too liberal, too conservative, too prepper, not prepper enough. Some express their views too much, too repetitive.

I rarely, but on occasion, watch and listen to the media. BT is a breath of fresh air by comparison. Talk about shouting down dissent, repetition, misinformation... I'll take BT over the media any day.

There is not a lot of new news to report on this or most any subject. Once a report is given most everything else is rehashing.

I read most new BT threads. There are few newsworthy events that BT doesn't cover. Some I'm not interested in. Others, like this thread, I keep coming back to.

Much of BT too is rehashing. But we either rehash or shut down. I'd rather y'all rehash and maybe I'll learn the forth or fifth time around.

It is not hard to separate the believable information from the "entertainment" and I enjoy both. That is why I say BT is one of the most balanced information sources I know.

If you have the time and inclination I really appreciate your input of every sort.

I don't like personal attacks, but not because I object specifically to them. I see them as entertaining banter to be dismissed for the fluff they are. My biggest objection to personal attacks is the danger that someone may actually "care" and quit posting.

I'll guarantee you if someone you "don't like" on BT had a real problem most ALL of us would rally to their aid. The banter, to me, is like a church football game. A bunch of guys who genuinely care about each other whom I expect to knock me on my butt in an effort to win the game. But for heaven's sake, it's just a game! No love lost.

We know who the doctors are, and we know who the Ron Calugars are. (I'll use my name instead of yours in this context.) If we want facts about this virus we listen to the doctors, but it doesn't mean the Ron Calugars don't ever offer insightful or at minimum, entertaining content.

What I really don't like is people who won't post because we scrap too much, or are too dumb to keep up. That kills BT.

BT is a family. Not a board meeting. Sometimes we just play, sometimes just work, sometimes we just relax, shoot the breeze and rib each other. We are not all the same at the same time.

If you quit, you diminish the family. If that's what you want to do, go ahead. It's a free country. But IMHO the value of BT is participation. No one is too good or not good enough.

So weather we are singing in unison or knocking each other over in a sand lot football game, lets have fun and participate. We're grown up enough to sort out fact and fiction. We check and balance each other sufficiently such that nefarious info will not prevail.

It's the varying views that have me infected.

I'd hate to see us have to be so perfect that we cut out half the content. One of my old professors, rest his soul, was famous for saying, "don't get so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good."

If someone is egregiously unkind, bam, but sometimes being too touchy is as bad as being too boorish.

If you can make BT better, go for it. It's the best there is, and you did it!

BNice

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 00:36 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
Your ball, your game, your rules. :bat:

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 00:38 

Post Likes: +2423
Your ball, your game, your rules. :bat:
Maybe there should be a BT Bar & Grill where people can gather after the game to talk politics. :D

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 01:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5705
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
Things like this come up and I think to myself: “What’d I miss?”

BT is my main distraction because it is, quite simply, the most informative and civil aviation forum around. The others aren’t even close. There are a few blowhards I’ve learned to ignore and some people whose opinions I generally disagree with, but the worst interaction I regularly see is in the form of “You don’t know what you’re talking about.” Maybe I just automatically skip the dramatic threads.

I like it like this.

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next