banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 16:32 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: If the Mustang does your mission, it's darn near perfect!
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 22:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I'm a firm believer that one of the most overlooked gems in aviation is the Citation Mustang.

I have yet to meet a single person who has actually owned one who doesn't love it! BUT... I do hear a lot of negativity from other sources.

I was going to do a "9 mistakes to avoid when buying a Mustang" but I couldn't get to 9! :lol:

The Mustang is primarily an owner flown airplane, though some flight departments have operated Mustangs and loved them. McCoy's Building Supply comes to mind. If you're a pro pilot and your other job is flying a CJ3+... you're probably not crazy about the Mustang and I get that. But, if you are an owner-pilot and it's typically you, your spouse and another couple, your trips aren't too long and don't plan on taking a Suburban load of luggage... you'll love the Mustang.

The airplane performs VERY well, is extremely economical to maintain and operate, the cockpit is superior to all but the much larger Citations and it has a Garmin G1000(NXi)

The only real knock I hear is that the type rating is rare, this is true and if you will have some mentor time to satisfy the insurance company, it should be a consideration. The availability of contract pilots with 510 ratings is lower than other Citations... but not greatly different than say a Phenom 100 or HondaJet.

Other than that, people say "They quit making them" also true, but has nothing to do with the airplane. Cessna has achieved unmatched success with the Citation line because they focus on building the move-up airplane. If you look at their current manufacturing it doesn't make sense... but if you look at their entire product line it makes perfect sense! They don't build the CJ1/1+ anymore... nor do the build the CJ2+ (still one of the hottest airplanes they have ever built)

Why?

Because they are currently building the replacement aircraft. Ask the folks over at Learjet how building the same airplane for 25 years is working out for them.

Cessna is smart, they built enough Mustangs, CJ/CJ1/1+, CJ2/2+ to have a viable fleet and now they are building the move-up airplanes. The M2 is the move up for the Mustang / CJ and the CJ3 is the move up for the CJ1+/2/2+ with the CJ3+ being the move up for the M2... big jump, but people are doing it.

So the Mustang line was discontinued because Cessna Citation understands the market and their buyer. They know how to maintain values and keep selling new airplanes.

Thinking about a Mustang? Do it.

Post subject: Re: If the Mustang does your mission, it's darn near perfect
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 22:46 

Post Likes: +4354
Aircraft: 182, A36TC
I always liked the 5.0 mustang.

Great for out draggin’ a couple of transcamaros driven by guys in Pink Floyd and Metallica t shirts.

Fits my mission of carrying my mulleted buddy and his girlfriend who smells like Rain net and wears wrestling shoes.

Oh....that mustang. Yes it is perfect, as soon as I invent something for get another job.

Ryan Holt CFI

"Paranoia and PTSD are requirements not diseases"

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 03:06 

Post Likes: +1948
Aircraft: Columbia 400
I'd really like to go for a ride in one sometime.

I get the "upgrade" scheme.

I got a demo in a Citation M2. It is so much like flying a TTx it is eerie. (though I own the older Columbia 400 model). It feels so much like it, the sight picture out the window, the apparent (visual) appearance of take and landing speeds, general layout of the cockpit and so on. It felt really familiar and intuitive. Though the crew seats weren't anywhere near as comfortable as the COL4/TTx. The back seats were a heck of a lot better of course. ;)

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 07:59 

Post Likes: +502
Aircraft: C510
I absolutely love my Mustang. I almost allowed myself to get talked out of this amazing jet under the notion that it would not meet my 1000nm mission. That turned out to just not be the case, and knock on wood, I have a 100% success rate. I came out of a late model Meridian, so the capitalization bump was minimal....in aviation dollars anyways. It is a pleasure to fly, the cockpit is comfortable, it is incredibly quiet......just can’t say enough good things about the Mustang.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 09:01 

Post Likes: +1154
Aircraft: Piper PA-32R 300
Going out on a limb here but.......

I'm betting you have one for sale.

Ron

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin"

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 09:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Username Protected wrote:
Going out on a limb here but.......

I'm betting you have one for sale.

Ron

No sir! We do not sell airplanes.

We only represent buyers. It doesn't matter to me if our clients buy a Mustang, an M2... a M600, TBM, a CJ-whatever, an XLS... a Lear 75, a Hawker, a Challenger... or a King Air.

I'm often accused of all of my post being advertising, and I guess they are in a way... but the reality is we maintain a full load of clients so I'm not out trolling for business, I start these post so that people can find them and learn from them.

For about 15 years I was on the sales side, sold older Lears and Citations... I hated the Mustang because I didn't understand it. I always thought "why not just buy a Citation II... it's cheaper and does more" when you flip to the buyers side and start to understand the entire ownership experience your mindset shifts and you begin to appreciate airplanes that were designed for more than go fast, carry a load.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 10:17 

Post Likes: +1428
Aircraft: Piper Saratoga
I'm headed to Vegas next week so there is a very slight chance I could eventually become involved in a discussion regarding a Mustang. Actually my stop in monument valley probably yields a higher chance of hitching a ride on a mustang.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 10:25 

Post Likes: +2386
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
I agree with most of your evaluation, Chip. When I bought mine, I first thought I was going to buy a King Air. After looking at the Mustang in greater depth, it just made more sense. It’s too bad that so many people knock it for various reasons, but those tend to be unqualified opinions. I think this small jet shines in more ways than people realize. For example, it has a little more range and payload capability than most give it credit for. You can go with three couples, 150 lbs of bags, and fly 800nm +/- wind with VFR reserves. If you go with two couples, add another 250nm.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 10:38 

Post Likes: +6508
Aircraft: PA-46-310P
A local pilot I know had one for a while. He has since switched to a 421 and R66.

I asked him about the Mustang, and he said it'll just never be as cheap to operate per hour you might intuit, because "you have to be on all the programs." His opinion was that not being on the warranty programs would be foolish.

I think he told me $1400/hr to operate, back about 3 years ago.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:00 

Post Likes: +2386
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
That’s crazy. My DOC last year was right at $1,000/hr, and I had some extra maintenance to account for. I agree that it’s a good idea to be on the engine program, but the parts program is debatable, and the labor program is a no-go. It’s not a piston paddler, but as turbines go it’s reasonable.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:04 

Post Likes: +598
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
I believe you can buy some dual in a Mustang here: https://baycity.aero
According to the website you can even solo in one once you get your type rating, etc.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:33 

Post Likes: +598
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
Could someone describe the inspection requirements for an airplane flying 200 hours per year? What inspections are required, how much do they cost, and how long do they take? How much would you say is spent on these inspections plus maintenance in a year/200 hours of flying (not including eng programs)?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10962
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Love mine. Importantly, I feel like I can fly It SP late into my life. Big boy features...FADEC, VNAV, Syn Viz, Autopress, TLG, glass, electric glass windshield, 90-100 gph block. 80 gph at 40,000, good hangar footprint.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:46 

Post Likes: +4633
That’s crazy. My DOC last year was right at $1,000/hr, and I had some extra maintenance to account for. I agree that it’s a good idea to be on the engine program, but the parts program is debatable, and the labor program is a no-go. It’s not a piston paddler, but as turbines go it’s reasonable.

what is your regular or most common mission in it? what is the block fuel?

how about a 250nm trip, what would your numbers be?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10962
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66

what is your regular or most common mission in it? what is the block fuel?

how about a 250nm trip, what would your numbers be?

250 mile block? 100-110.
"Jet Elite"

Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next