28 Mar 2024, 04:50 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Rumor That All Mooney Employees Furloughed For A Week
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 06:07 

Post Likes: +23513
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
To those watching Mooney’s sales numbers over the first half of this year, the shutdown is probably not a huge surprise. According to GAMA sales records, Mooney sold two Acclaim Ultras in each of the first two quarters, after selling 14 aircraft at a value of $10.7 million in 2018. For context, Cirrus sold 203 aircraft in the first half of 2019, while Mooney’s output trailed Extra, Pipistrel and Quest.
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/moo ... 13%2C+2019

- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 08:34 

Post Likes: +1604
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
I’ve always had a soft spot for one of these.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 08:41 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58
Username Protected wrote:
To those watching Mooney’s sales numbers over the first half of this year, the shutdown is probably not a huge surprise. According to GAMA sales records, Mooney sold two Acclaim Ultras in each of the first two quarters, after selling 14 aircraft at a value of $10.7 million in 2018. For context, Cirrus sold 203 aircraft in the first half of 2019, while Mooney’s output trailed Extra, Pipistrel and Quest.
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/moo ... 13%2C+2019

How long until Bo & Baron go the same way? I understand that they are within a larger company, but unit sales are still anemic. 3 and 4 respectively for first 6 mos of 2019.

Meanwhile Cirrus marches on .... 172 single engine piston units, 36% of worldwide piston single sales. Also Piper outsold Cessna/Beech. Piper 77 units, Textron 73 units.

In the twin market, Diamond outsold Beech 15:1; 60 units vs 4.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 08:47 

Post Likes: +1514
Aircraft: Club Archer
Wow, 319 employees producing 7 planes a year...

This is the problem. That means each plane has to carry 40+ salaries. A jet couldn’t do that. How many people would it take to produce 7 RVs a year if it was their full time job? Maybe 10. That’s really poor management there.

I thought they still made parts for previous models, plus possibly had some side component work. Still, 300+ staff is a lot to cover.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 12:16 

Post Likes: +4520
Aircraft: V35

Yes, the Mooney Mite is the most fun looking toy airplane. It's not aerobatic, though... if you do a loop you'd better have a parachute handy as you will be in the center of a debris cloud of nails and plywood :bugeye:

I spent some time on the Mite site a few years ago, since it's a wooden plane they are getting long in the tooth and many need a type of restoration that is prohibitively expensive. Good, turnkey Mites are tough to find based on what I saw on the site.

Here is a great pirep from Budd Davisson on the Mite:
http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepMooneyMite.html

Realistically, the pilot who wants to strap on a small, responsive airplane today will buy an RV that someone else already built. It will be newer and easier to fix than a Mite, and aerobatic.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 13:34 

Post Likes: +4509
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless

Yes, the Mooney Mite is the most fun looking toy airplane. It's not aerobatic, though... if you do a loop you'd better have a parachute handy as you will be in the center of a debris cloud of nails and plywood :bugeye:

Saw one at OSH that the owner had flown it all the way from San Francisco.

That's dedication to the cause right there.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 15:36 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +937
Company: Aromech Inc
Aircraft: V35B, ERCO-415
Probably just getting ready for the litigation:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/06/m ... 576cm.html

Had not thought of that angle, interesting.

Didnt it make up 1/4 of the Mooney fleet built in 2019?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 19:39 

Post Likes: +170
Aircraft: 182R
All you need to know
Attachment:
mooney.png

Attachment:
cirrus.png

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 22:58 

Post Likes: +514
Aircraft: 700P, F35, D17
I have owned a lot of planes but the Mooney was one of my favorites. For those of you that need a parachute to buy an airplane don't fly in the Staggerwing, the Aerostar or the Bonanza because nothing in my fleet is going to save those that can't figure out how to glide an airplane. Pull the parachute and you are totaled. Glide to a landing maybe not. I hope Mooney figures it out.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 00:14 

Post Likes: +368
Aircraft: Cherokee 180F/ A36
Chinese owned Mooney is done. Continental is also Chinese owned. Its really a shame. There are people that could have made it work that were ignored on the Continental side that would/could have flowed to the Mooney side of things. CEO of Continental has now "retired"??? There is much more to the story that I will not air out here.....
Here is what I can put out there:
https://www.avweb.com/recent-updates/bu ... etirement/
MFer Got lost and things went bad:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

The Chinese are shrewd business people. More heads will roll as directed from the motherland....

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 12:03 

Post Likes: +704
Aircraft: 1963 Bonanza P35
I have owned a lot of planes but the Mooney was one of my favorites. For those of you that need a parachute to buy an airplane don't fly in the Staggerwing, the Aerostar or the Bonanza because nothing in my fleet is going to save those that can't figure out how to glide an airplane. Pull the parachute and you are totaled. Glide to a landing maybe not. I hope Mooney figures it out.

Eric I am sorry and do not mean to offend but the argument for or against the chute is over. It's not a matter of who can fly and who can't, or if you "need" a chute you are not a real pilot etc. The facts are in, the market has spoken. If you are going to build a single engine airplane in the world today it better have a chute. If not you are at a disadvantage in the marketplace the day you enter it. Its not who "needs" a chute and who doesn't anymore. At this point it just is what it is. Cirrus changed the market, they fundamentally changed it forever. Those who keep refusing to understand this will never compete with those who do. Those companies that refuse to recognize this extremely obvious fact will probably not survive as a company either.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 12:14 

Post Likes: +6508
Aircraft: PA-46-310P
Honest question. What were 300 people DOING every day in Kerrville? Surely a small portion were actually building the bespoke airplanes, but if you're going to work every day with no tasks or duties and you're not in a government job, you should have seen this coming.

The Chinese planned on leveraging the brand and facilities to build a bunch of new trainers. For whatever reason, they failed to execute on that, leaving only the "regular" business model that has taken down many former investor groups.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 12:53 

Post Likes: +133
Aircraft: 1981 P210N
I thought I read somewhere that there were only 50 people on the payroll at this time. :shrug:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 12:55 

Post Likes: +578
Aircraft: 1983 Bonanza A36TN
Eric I am sorry and do not mean to offend but the argument for or against the chute is over. It's not a matter of who can fly and who can't, or if you "need" a chute you are not a real pilot etc. The facts are in, the market has spoken. If you are going to build a single engine airplane in the world today it better have a chute. If not you are at a disadvantage in the marketplace the day you enter it. Its not who "needs" a chute and who doesn't anymore. At this point it just is what it is. Cirrus changed the market, they fundamentally changed it forever. Those who keep refusing to understand this will never compete with those who do. Those companies that refuse to recognize this extremely obvious fact will probably not survive as a company either.

It's not about need. Clear day over hospitable terrain? Sure, I'll glide the plane into a field. Probably put it down level and upright. Night? Low ceiling undercast? Mountains, rocks, forest? Less confidence in my chances if I can't see the flat, clear bit or if there isn't one. Who cares if it totals the airplane? As soon as the big fan stops, the insurance company owns the plane, your only duty is to the people inside.

I love my Bonanza but I'm looking really hard at twins for the same reason some people want a 'chute.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 17:26 

Post Likes: +704
Aircraft: 1963 Bonanza P35

It's not about need. Clear day over hospitable terrain? Sure, I'll glide the plane into a field. Probably put it down level and upright. Night? Low ceiling undercast? Mountains, rocks, forest? Less confidence in my chances if I can't see the flat, clear bit or if there isn't one. Who cares if it totals the airplane? As soon as the big fan stops, the insurance company owns the plane, your only duty is to the people inside.

I love my Bonanza but I'm looking really hard at twins for the same reason some people want a 'chute.

Dean I am with you 100%. I have looked at twins as an option myself. However unless you need the extra seats or payload going the route of a twin does not make sense for everyone. More training needed to stay proficient, more money needed to keep it flying (annuals etc), more money needed to make it fly (fuel etc) double the things to go wrong and break in flight or otherwise. For me if it is strictly an issue of having another option when things go wrong I would take the single with a chute over a twin. But most of my flying is just me solo. I don't need the seats or payload. So for me if it's just a decision based on safety the chute satisfies that itch for my mission.

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next