banner
banner

19 Mar 2024, 01:25 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the Epic LT
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 21:54 

Post Likes: +310
Username Protected wrote:
I worry/wonder what has taken them so long to get certification? I remember going to oshkosh 10 years ago and hearing that certification was around the corner. Remember going to Oshkosh 3 years ago and hearing it was coming "this fall".
I'm glad TBM has some competition, but the performance numbers aren't any better than the TBM. I Fly a 930 and it flys 315 true in any temp andy weight and will do 325-330 when cold in cruise. It's RVSM, FIKI (and good at shedding ice), is great in turbulence, and most importantly for me, there are more than a million flight hours across the fleet and Socata is very safety conscious and financially stable.
I hope they get the bugs worked out and achieve certification. Is good to see folks innovating and is great for the industry.

There's a big rush to get to certification (albeit with claimed performance numbers). After that, there are many, many tweaks that can be made.

Some changes already made can be seen through the years on LTs. Here's a later example with a big inlet and plenum:
Attachment:
IMG_6132.jpg

Let them refine and perfect details. Cleaning up/covering the gear wells, better cowl ducting, a FADEC PT6E-67 like the Pilatus, fancier props, other black magic that I'm unaware of, etc...

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 23:27 

Post Likes: +658
Lawrence, I'll try to dig up the language from op specs on the airworthiness cert. Curious to how it reads exactly.

Days are getting shorter. An early AM departure to LA meant leaving in the dark and watching the sun peek up over the Sierra Nevada. Fun to use the VFR corridors (SFRA) to shortcut through the class B, but it requires pulling back from 260-270 kias in the descent to <250 kias below 10,000 MSL, then <200 kias below the class B over SMO, then <140 kias on the SFRA corridor (No turbojets. SF50s, no soup for you! Kidding)

Wrapped up the day with some farming.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/82j8liT7OMs[/youtube]

In the farming pic, is that a private airstrip, or a road?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 03:13 

An airstrip

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 14:35 

I'm pressing on with figured out flight in RVSM airspace. I hadn't dug into the altimetry system error (ASE) piece of the puzzle because it smelled like it'd cost a lot. After communication with the FSDO and few dead ends, that clearly became the next hurdle.

Originally, I thought this would be a $100k+ test flight and a week's downtime flying around with a cone off the tail. Not fun and not worth it.

RVSM altitudes presented a few benefits in my view: 1. clearing weather, 2. extending range, and 3. getting in the way of everyone else

Still working out kinks, but it may be a fraction of my expected cost (still expensive, but something like ~$15k) and doable in a day. I got in touch with Aero Mech. They have authorization to issue RVSM STCs with their DER and do lots of work for OEMs and one-off projects.

They'll will supply substantiation for the plane's ASE monitoring. An Epic LT wouldn't need an STC since there's no TC to stick it to, so I literally just need to have paperwork checking ASE and the required training.

Overarching assumption is I meet part 91 appendix g requirements. I'd assume flight test will determine flight envelope min and max speeds.

The rest of my considerations laundry list:
1. better pilot/copilot o2 masks. TUC at 34k is 1/3 to 1/5 the time of 28k. Maybe a second bottle behind pilot/copilot seat? Plenty of room there.
2. revising the experimental type cert/POH to show a higher service ceiling. Right now it's 28000 because for RVSM
3. confirm cabin pressurization annunciation. We have an arduino display that shows red if cabin altitude goes over 10,000', and a CO guardian that displays a red "cabin pressurization" CAS on the G900X and a chime if over 10,000'
4. convert and calculate Mmo (.64 mach) to IAS for altitudes between 28000'-34,000'
5. Staying warm. ISA temps at 34,000 are in the mid -50 can be 10ºC colder
6. fuel temps. Don't have heated fuel
7. revised drift down time for in flight restart

34,000' comes to mind because that's what's being used in the E1000 program. Practically, I may not want to go higher, but it's interesting to consider the possibility.

Some cabin altitude figures:
-atmospheric pressure at 34k' ISA is 3.63 psi. With 6.7 diff P, that's a ~9500' cabin.
-A 10,000' cabin is ~35,300'
-A 12,500' cabin (9.16psi - 6.7 diff P) is... 42,000'? This is above the engine's service ceiling, way above my comfort level, and frankly, above RVSM altitudes. I don't want to be anywhere up there anyways with the stubby wings

This may all be pie (way, way up) in the sky, but still working through things.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 18:24 

Post Likes: +231
Aircraft: Cessna TR182
This may all be pie (way, way up) in the sky, but still working through things.

Fun! I can't wait to see if you pull it off!

Did you decide not to sell it?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 19:14 

Selling the first because we moved into another.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019, 20:26 

Post Likes: +2325
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
A Epic Escape! I think 2 were completed.
Then this would be the other one. I found it very appealing but gave up on it when NOBODY would talk to me about it, not Epic, the owner, the build shop, no one. That's never a good sign. I did hear a comment that the CG was way off and fixing it became a full-time job.
Attachment:
RealStaff.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2019, 01:22 

Post Likes: +173
Company: USMCR
Aircraft: PA-46T, B100, Tiger
I would love the scaled down Epic with a -10. Didn’t know they existed until this thread. Sounds like it would blow my Meridian out of the water. Is there any more info about them?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 09:16 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
Doug, sorry to hear about your friend. He put together a fantastic plane and left behind quite a legacy. It's been great for the past few hundred landings/hours (since we've had it).

I think we're benefitting from the leadership/culture shift at the factory because there's pretty good support with little squawks we've had along the way. To compare, the Diamond I've flown has had worse support despite having 3 established shops all within a couple hours reach (that company also going through ownership/leadership change).

I had the same concerns with the landing gear. They test the blow down system every condition inspection and topped off nitrogen is a checklist item before you fire up. The newer gear design has been good to us and doesn't have any gotchas (faster retract/extension speed would be nice)

What you say about the door is a real concern, but its applicable to more than just one plane. Flip a Diamond? You're not getting out. They put a cute ax in the cockpit to cut your way out. Tweak the fuselage on an early Bonanza or Cherokee (or any plane with one door to get in an out of), and you're having a bad day.

That's good that you're benefiting from the culture shift of the factory now. You mentioned you had a newer gear design. Was that gear on the plane when you bought it, or was it something the factory now offers? I'm considering an Epic in the near future. I wanted to keep and improve my Evo because I love it, but I realized recently that my family is going to outgrow that plane very soon. Especially the way my wife packs :lol: Plus my boys aren't getting any smaller.

It's nice to be able to come here and read about your plane. Thanks!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 09:29 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
Flying a different bird lately that has the revised interior (similar to the E1000 interior) and the larger engine inlet (higher torque available at lower temps).

Couple videos showing what normal cruise is like at cold temps up high and a cruise climb at 210 knots doing 2000 fpm. We left 1300 lbs under gross with 3 SOB and ~3.5 hours of fuel.

I follow Pratt's guidelines to keep ITTs capped at 760º, but Epic's working with them to sign off on a higher limit (the engine is rated for 840º and 103% Ng max continuous). This may have been a 340 knot day if I pushed the stick forward.

Sorry for upright video formatting...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/C4boUXhbW0s[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/y-TSjDAv_0Q[/youtube]

Who's plane is this? Is this an LT?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 17:44 

Who's plane is this? Is this an LT?

We bought one to replace another (which we're selling). Those videos are of the newer one. It's an LT with the newer E1000-style interior.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 00:51 

Post Likes: +10
Aircraft: A36TC
With all the backup power supply single gen operations is just not the same issue as years before. I fly the IVPT Hard IFR, icing, low vis, LVP, RNP, whatever and have no concerns. G3X backed up, IPad, second G3X backed, Standby ADI and heading, airspeed for 30 min. Two emergency standby Batt. One gen is fine. Experimental .. lol 290kts 34 GPH, full deice. The Epic would most likely be my next choice. But looking at Merlin 3 because I have a super good deal and another friend that wants in. My cost will go up 20k per year if I do the the deal. Maybe more. Fuel will be 30 GPH more than Epic. Single Gen, experiential just seems like good common sense if it fits the mission. That said... I have the experience to stay ahead of the plane and understand the risks. Not for everyone. Enjoy the plane! Fly it and embrace the moment. We aren't promised tomorrow, might as well live today.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 21:51 

Post Likes: +16
Aircraft: Lancair Evo -42
With all the backup power supply single gen operations is just not the same issue as years before. I fly the IVPT Hard IFR, icing, low vis, LVP, RNP, whatever and have no concerns. G3X backed up, IPad, second G3X backed, Standby ADI and heading, airspeed for 30 min. Two emergency standby Batt. One gen is fine. Experimental .. lol 290kts 34 GPH, full deice. The Epic would most likely be my next choice. But looking at Merlin 3 because I have a super good deal and another friend that wants in. My cost will go up 20k per year if I do the the deal. Maybe more. Fuel will be 30 GPH more than Epic. Single Gen, experiential just seems like good common sense if it fits the mission. That said... I have the experience to stay ahead of the plane and understand the risks. Not for everyone. Enjoy the plane! Fly it and embrace the moment. We aren't promised tomorrow, might as well live today.

Hi Sean.- What kind of de-icing do you have on the IV-PT and how reliable is it? Have not seen much advancements in this area applied to these new composite designs. Surprised Epic went with the proven de-ice boots that also are used in other VLJ´s.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020, 02:23 

A couple exciting things in the pipeline that I thought I'd share. Sorry for long winded post. I love this stuff.

We were stagnant between two LTs that we own--one bought as replacement for the other. We almost sold the first one and it fell through. I think it was a blessing in disguise.

My main gripe with the first LT was the autopilot. It's a Trutrak Sorcerer, a rate-based AP and the Garmin G900X does a lousy job interfacing with it. Makes you a sharp pilot, because it many instances you need to be ready to read raw data and take over. Not a smooth ride for pax unless you massage servo torque values on the fly. Talk about flying the autopilot.

The second LT had a Stec 2100--better in many ways, but an already obsolete autopilot and still wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. A little frustrating given the rest of the capability of the plane.

Garmin G3X is a natural avenue but no other LT owners had put this in until recently. I didn't want to be the first. I like flying, not spending a year with the plane under the knife.

Took me a while to realize that the dead-end support of the G900X wasn't something I wanted to deal with either. So much capability is left off the table!!! Features you see on other G1000 installs aren't available. Examples? No AOA (like TBM or Cirrus), no barber-pole adjusting for Mmo, caution ranges are omitted (reactionless mode of the prop between 450-950 rpm), no tach/hobbs meter built in, finicky software updates that won't let altitude bugs sync between AP and PFD. The list goes on.

G3X and Garmin autopilot are on the plate now. A few other owners have done it and there's a shop that's done it a few times (big deal considering only ~50 LTs out there).

You can compromise the whole project if you lose sight of the details, i.e. how to send landing elevation data to the pressurization controller, how to correctly display CAS messages/annunciators, how to interface/display things like trim settings on the panel itself. Most of these loose ends have been tied up in prior installs. Exciting times.

The plan is to visit a plane that has Garmin AP and G3X panel to see how the AP flies. If it works well, all the benefits of ESP, integrated AP controls, AOA, etc can be enjoyed on a solid capable platform.

Other items on the list are:
-RVSM approval to FL340 like we're trying with the second LT
-E1000 style big inlet (~10 knots more speed) and bigger throat to the plenum

Attached a photo of the current panel and a chintzy mock up of a G3X/GTN combo (fits in the same space of the G900X PFDs, MFD, and audio panel). Fingers crossed we don't hit any road blocks!

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020, 11:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1507
Company: BeechFlyIn.com
Aircraft: 1971 Bonanza A36
Beautiful panel ideas Neema!.
You mentioned that you'd like to fly in a plane with a G3X and Garmin auto pilot combo. If an A36 with a G3X and a GFC500 will meet your needs, come on down to Fullerton. I'd be happy to take you up - especially if I can check out your Epic - That thing is awesome!

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Concorde Battery (banner)