28 Mar 2024, 12:45 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New (owner) in Maryland
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 13:10 

Post Likes: +48
Aircraft: M35
Been a member for a few years, but re-introducing myself as a New Owner in Maryland.

So the adventure of owning a Bonanza has completed it's prologue and now first chapter!

N9741R is home in Maryland!

I would like to take a moment to single out some key contributors to an awesome buying and first week of ownership experience:

• Bob Stephens (buyer's agent) for being patient, sage, and providing key guidance while we took our time to work through the "must haves" and identify potential airplanes. His experience showed from quickly triaging potential buys to representing me (and talking sense into me) during the buying process itself. His reputation is well earned.
  • Chris Hamilton (mechanic) at Tri-Valley Aviation in Livermore, CA who did my pre-buy. Very knowledgable, to the point, and didn't try to blow smoke up our rears. His overall impression and squawk list led to some additional negotiations and fixes ahead of purchase -- super happy with his attention to detail and frankness.
  • Jim Lafferty (seller's broker) -- he, his wife, and the crew at Atlantic Aviation out in San Jose were very professional, accommodating, and helped get us happily on our way back east.
  • Last, though certainly not least, Bryan Kutcher -- a newly minted BPPP Instructor who met me out in San Jose despite the weather in Denver doing its damndest to delay every flight that day! Bryan is a personable yet consummate professional as an instructor and co-pilot. He helped me acclimate to a complex, high performance aircraft with nice avionics over the course of 4 days of flying. He reduced my workload on comms and nav the first two days so I could really focus on learning the Bonanza, then pushed me hard on the third day where we worked the local area in Dallas. I definitely left our time a better pilot, confident that I can be safe, with a nice list of things to focus on improving and learning through this next year as I work towards a BPPP Initial this fall or next spring.

I'd whole heartedly recommend any of them if you need services they provide, a top notch crew.

After all that assistance and care to introduce me to the owners' club, I was able to make a nice solo trip home from Dallas to Maryland, brain at least one waypoint or more ahead of her the whole way home.

In Maryland I've already run into at least three Bonanza drivers that have made me feel truly welcome and offered help, advice, contact information and thoughts on mechanics, etc...

My family is grateful to everyone who helped us get this far, and are all super excited for some early, simple, adventures in N9741R -- thank you to those folks and to everyone on BT who helped fan the flames of interest in being an owner!

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: New (owner) in Maryland
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 13:23 

Post Likes: +2928
Aircraft: 1991 Baron 58
Welcome. Your post was Deja Vu for me. Bob helped my find my plane, Jim listed it and Tri Valley did the pre-buy. That was 3 years ago and I'm still smiling.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 13:37 

Post Likes: +3816
Aircraft: Club Archer
Excellent Jason - last time we chatted you were in pre-buy and it looks like you got a good one. Where are you going to be based out of?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 14:31 

Current plan is to keep supporting my local country airport / FBO at 2W2 for the time being!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 14:44 

Username Protected wrote:
Current plan is to keep supporting my local country airport / FBO at 2W2 for the time being!

Let me know when you're all settled and I'd love to drop by and see it. I need to get over there anyway.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 15:22 

Post Likes: +1187
Aircraft: Bonanza K35 (D-5795)
Great airport with an amazing pilot shop for parts and supplies! Bring your A game getting in and out of there on hot summer days! I was light when I brought my K35 into there and those trees to the west were still making me a bit anxious.

Just a tip. If it’s hot, you might want to consider taking off light and picking up any paxs at DMW.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 15:50 

Great airport with an amazing pilot shop for parts and supplies! Bring your A game getting in and out of there on hot summer days! I was light when I brought my K35 into there and those trees to the west were still making me a bit anxious.

Just a tip. If it’s hot, you might want to consider taking off light and picking up any paxs at DMW.

Agreed on those points -- I got my ticket at Clearview!

And I definitely agree on hot day stuff, heck in the Cherokee 180 I was flying I'd leave it at the tabs on really hot days and pick people up at KDMW for the same reason. Density altitude is no joke, especially if you have to depart 14.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 09:29 

And I definitely agree on hot day stuff, heck in the Cherokee 180 I was flying I'd leave it at the tabs on really hot days and pick people up at KDMW for the same reason. Density altitude is no joke, especially if you have to depart 14.

Heard there was a 172 on it's back at Clearview Saturday - nothing more though.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019, 20:21 

Heard there was a 172 on it's back at Clearview Saturday - nothing more though.

Talked to the guys after getting the bird to Clearview this afternoon (yay!) -- sounds like a student, who may not have been supposed to be landing there, wheelbarrowed right off the far end of 32 and flipped over.

Sunday someone popped a wheel on 32 as well... people flying way to fast on their approaches it seems. :scratch:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019, 21:19 

Post Likes: +2183
What a sweet looking Bonanza!

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019, 23:19 

Post Likes: +1954
Gotta say, sweeeeet! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2019, 01:21 

Post Likes: +13126
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36TN
Congrats! That's a sweet looking V!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2019, 22:05 

Post Likes: +10
Aircraft: PA28-180, 7ECA,B-737
Isn’t the 2W2 landing distance 1500’ past the displaced thresholds? Be careful down there. I saw your Bo the other day tied up in front of my hangar at DMW. She is pretty!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 08:45 

Isn’t the 2W2 landing distance 1500’ past the displaced thresholds? Be careful down there. I saw your Bo the other day tied up in front of my hangar at DMW. She is pretty!

Thanks! I love the paint job :)

Yeah, just southwest of DMW, she landed fine even in a crosswind. Short field performance has been good after doing the 1.3 times Vs0 for approach speeds and reading up on older references from the earlier POH for short field operations from Eckalbar's book -- which is an awesome read so far!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 09:01 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1131
Aircraft: G35 "Chip"
Welcome as a Bonanza owner. I think I can see myself in that paint job!

Enjoy!

Warmly,
Dave

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next