banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 07:47 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Just shopping for Senecas and I see this..
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 10:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +218
Company: Plane Data, Inc.
Aircraft: Cessna Cardinal RG
Username Protected wrote:
I don't know if this is a possibility but after seeing the pictures I thought that would be a massive amount of work to fix. Being as it has the appearance that someone is hiding something how about this scenario.

Someone unscrupulous buys the wreck. Disposes of the wreck pocketing the data plate. Another plane is stolen or otherwise obtained (may have a massive lien). The data plate ends up on the other plane.

There was an "industry" which offered owners of totaled or damaged aircraft a tidy sum for their data plates and log books. They then established "phantom" aircraft which they borrowed money against knowing that the bank would NEVER go into the field to put eyes on the aircraft. In some cases, banks refinanced these aircraft multiple times because after all, it was an airplane.

If you will recall a well known broker did something similar by offering "shares" in aircraft that would be refurbished. The shareholders would make MILLIONS! Of course when shareholders started asking questions, they found aircraft with N numbers spray painted on them or other such derelicts with few if any improvements applied.

Good luck.

Plane Data, Inc.
800-895-1382
www.planedata.com

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 16:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7246
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Mike is right, this sort of thing happens more than most expect. When I review logbooks, I start at day one and read every page (not every word) the reason is anomallies will stick out. I have discovered a whole set of logbooks that were created by making copies of other aircraft's logs. The airplane had changed hands at least once without this being noticed. If they had used one set of logs for airplane and engines it might have been nearly undetectable. They used one set for engines and another for airframe, the occasional cycle discrepancy tipped us off.

Data plate and logbooks... your challenge has increased ten fold.

Does the average buyer know how to look for signs of repair? Does the shop doing a "prebuy" even look for these telltale signs? Add to that the fact that most buyers don't even do a prebuy but simple and annual or the required inspections...

Buyer beware indeed.

The overall integrity and level of professionalism in aviation combined with the trust level of dealing with so many good and honest folks creates an opportunity for crooks to have a field day!

In aviation we are the modern day Mayberry... we don't lock our doors, no one steals our thousand dollar Bose headsets... I leave my iPad or laptop laying around maintenance facilities and FBO's without a second thought. Almost everyone is trustworthy and honest... almost everyone...

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 16:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7246
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Last year we helped a fellow Beechtalker and now friend buy a King Air 200 that had been sitting. The airplane was in bad shape... the logbooks were almost impeccable. An ad on Plane Fax describing the aircraft and it's logs accurately would have probably resulted in a sale based solely on someone getting that data tag and those excellent records.

I'm glad the seller didn't advertise it and I'm glad a good guy bought it!!!

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3