banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 05:18 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 41  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 01:57 

Post Likes: +2329
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Radio waves don't go through carbon well so the fin cap is fiberglass, where we'll fit as many antennae as possible. And the test fit/trim/repeat cycle is finally complete on the rudder.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 01:57 

Some wrenching and a lot of project management lately. Prop showed up, with one broken blade sticking through the side of the box, so had to have them send us a new box to ship it back.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 02:03 

Assembled the rudder pedal assembly and set it aside for later installation. The ends float where they attach to the left and right cabin walls to allow for cabin expansion when pressurized.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 02:08 

Assembling hydraulic system components. I like it when the build manual instructions are life size!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 02:16 

At the factory chasing down parts and saw my engine starting build up and a beta for the box of electronic circuit breakers. The next iteration will replace some computer-style connectors with aircraft-style and be about a third smaller and lighter.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 08:57 

Post Likes: +5181
Company: Mayo Clinic
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
Just love this thread!
Thanks for letting us live vicariously.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 00:44 

The back-ordered gear is finally ready so the plane is in the jig with the wings back on, ready for gear installation and alignment. This is one of the jobs the factory does to ensure it's within specs. We'll see how much they let me do.

The build is more flexible than I expected. Where I expected they'd save specific tasks for me to complete, probably ones too simple for a noob to screw up, instead they toss me into whatever tasks they're working on when I show up. Of course I'm sure teaching and supervising me takes longer than if they just did it themselves.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 00:17 

With digital levels, plumb bobs and careful measurement, the main gear was aligned and mated to the airframe. Only problem, the conversation where we specified black never got written down. Fine, whatever, we'll have them stripped and re-powder coated.

In other news, I'm finding myself closer to the bleeding edge than I intended. The time has come to order a de-ice system, a must in the PNW. I'd hoped to have some real-world results on the one I prefer before committing but it's only flying on one plane so far, that one's down south so it hasn't yet seen ice, and in any case it's now grounded for an engine rebuild. A second plane also has the system installed but it's a ways yet from flying. Sure it will work on the test stand but I had hoped not to be the first to Boldly Go with the system into wet winter clouds.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 20:54 

Cabin doors are a different mold than the cabin, are oversized and must be trimmed to fit (test, repeat). Once the position is fixed, it's secured with popsicle sticks and superglue, then the hinge locations are drilled and clecoed. This took most of a day per door (main and baggage).

Last edited on 20 Jul 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 21:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1317
Company: Fractal Rock Solutions, Inc.
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I love this plane! Downloaded the build manual from a few years ago. Looks straightforward.

I will live vicariously through you and Gerry for now. Thanks for posting your story!

:popcorn:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 09:18 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
Username Protected wrote:
That is really cool. Congratulations! Are you adding a de-ice system?
Thanks and yes. I got the "joggled" wings, with a little depression in the leading edge (visible as the gray shim in the picture) that a deice system fills and brings the contour up to design rather than sticking out. Boots on a regular wing are reported to cost about 12 kts, on a joggled wing it should be considerably less. I'm planning on using an electric system by Villenger, it looks very promising but so far it's in flight test on one Evo and hasn't seen ice yet so no word on effectiveness. If it doesn't work out I'll backpedal and go with boots. Gotta have deice when based in Seattle.

How would they deal with the joggle if applying the Villanger system?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 10:11 

why not a -42?.... - curious of the mindset of spending more for less with the -135?
For much the same reasons Austin Meyer regrets going with the -42. http://austinmeyer.com/2016/06/14/844x-ups-and-downs/
Gerry and I have different priorities, the missions I want to do require range and payload so I value light and efficient more than going a little faster. I'd rather arrive a few minutes later with a lot more reserve, while avoiding fuel stops.

The cost difference was smaller than I expected since Pratt was having a sale. Add in new w/ warranty vs. used, lighter, and the cheaper overhaul reserve and I was sold.

I'd never question your motives on why to get certain pieces of equipment. However, I was reading Austin's posts and his comments on the speeds of the -42 and inefficiencies of the wing wanting to fly slow are not what I've experienced. First of all, the plane stalls slow because of the incredibly large flaps. I wouldn't call the wing big by any means. The wing on a bonanza is bigger than the Evo wing. The airplane was originally designed to fly ~330+ ktas, so it would be a shock to me that the wing would only like 170 kias. Also you have to remember is that Austin had a relatively early plane and there have been a number of advancements since. Wing reshaping, G3X, Hydraulic In-line Velocity Fuse Valve (to fix the gear issue described in his article), etc.

I'm doing the Villanger system on my propeller. Once done I plan to fly a box to find my TAS at altitude (since there is so much pitot error it's hard to know for sure by instrumentation). I already know that I fly well over 300 ktas. My guess was somewhere around 315-320. With the Villanger I'm hoping for close to 330 tas. IF I get there I'll be flying ~8.2+ nm/gal. I can already comfortably fly over 1000 nm. I also have flown power back slightly and seen 9+ nm/gal and still near or over 300 ktas.

Here is a spreadsheet given to me by Lancair on the performance of the -135A.
Attachment:
EVO PERFORMANCE CHART.xlsx

The only ones I see at FL280 going 10+nm/gal are 260 ktas or less. That's less that 170 IAS. Not only that, if you look at the FL270 and FL280 flights, any that are over 10 nm/gal at any kind of speed are done on colder than normal days. In other words, not typical and situations where I have no doubt the -42 would have similar boosts in performance.

At any rate, there is no wrong choice. It's what is right for you. I just hope to be informative on my experiences with the Evo.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 10:22 

Everyone raves about the -42 engine on the Evo.
"Everyone" might be a little strong. Of the several build shops I investigated, only RDD liked the -42 engine on the Evo. The three Evo flight test and training pilots I talked to preferred the -135A as well.

That seems interesting to me. I wonder if it was pressure induced. RDD, for example, was off of the Evolution approved builder list for quite some time because they wouldn't just follow the mantra of Evolution company. That and the LX7, but there was already tension over the -42 conversions prior to that. RDD refused to lie to their customers.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 10:28 

I don't understand, you aren't the target market for the G1000Nxi, an old king air is, because it slips right into the same footprint as the G1000 currently in them, and various other reasons
The NXi isn't just for the upgrade market, it's replaced the original G1000 in all OEMs. Piper, Textron and TBM have already announced it. I doubt Garmin is making any more of the old hardware except to refurbish old boxes as they come in, who would buy it? Osborne effect. And that counts double for the 950 (upgrade) and 900X (experimental) markets where customers have a choice, not limited by the type certificate.
Quote:
why would you consider anything other than a G3X Touch if you are a.) experimental, and b.) going with garmin
Autopilot and F/D, both of which are important to me for single piloting. The GFC700 is the best and build shops I talked to -- again, with the exception of RDD -- don't think the G3X is up to the job. Note that the G3X Touch is standard and the GFC700 unavailable on the Evo piston and EAC (new name, no longer Lancair since the old lines were sold to Texas) was surprised by the pushback from potential piston buyers. It was quite a coup that Lancair managed to get the GFC700 on the Evo, Garmin hasn't done it for any other E-AB, they say it's too much work to customize the software for each airframe.

G3X has been amazing for me. It was suspicious that there was so much blow back on the G3X before there was even any time for them in an Evo. I suspect that there were alternative reasons for saying such things vs actual concern that it couldn't handle the plane.

Last edited on 21 Jul 2017, 18:25, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 10:30 

If you need color scheme advice, please listen to me, or you land up with what Gerry A has :duck:
His is a bit bright for my taste, but then I only saw it once. Indoors. With my sunglasses on. ;)

LOL, it's definitely not for everyone. But I like my orange :D

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 41  Next