banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 11:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Syberjet SJ30/Intriguing Airplane or not?
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 21:48 

Post Likes: +364
Company: Aerlogix, Jet Aeronautical
Aircraft: B-55, RV-6
Sounds like they broke ground up in Utah for production facilities for the SJ30. I've always thought this airplane was in a class by itself, since inception/certification back in 05/06'. Not necessarily that it is better than other jets of the era, CJ, Phenoms, etc, but that it was unique.

What other airplane out there can go 2500 nm at a sea level cabin (12 psi diff is awesome)? And do it at .76mach? .82 mach if you want to get somewhere on a somewhat shorter flight. FL 450/.80 mach on 770pph? I'm not up on my CJ/Phenom numbers so don't know how they compare, but this airplane seems very reminiscent of a modern day version of an old Lear Jet. Smaller cabin, although you wouldn't know it from looking at pictures, as the space from the back window to the engines is center fuel tanks. Sporty, looks good, has the performance to back it up and it's not a Citation!

Swept wings, leading edge slats, single pilot. Downsides, it does use a lot of runway to achieve Balanced Field Length and it's cost will probably be north of 6 million. A very interesting package to say the least. I've always wondered if this plane would be a success, looks like we will find out with the ground breaking in Utah. I'm certainly not in the tax bracket to be purchasing one of these, but I'd certainly like to fly one. I find the small cabin, big range combo interesting to say the least. Also like the idea of the swept wings, slats and single pilot thing. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Syberjet SJ30/Intriguing Airplane or not?
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 23:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5520
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
It's a gorgeous thing. Ed Swearingen always designed beautiful airplanes.

The problem was that it was a little too early for its time. The VLJ craze had not fully developed and single pilot certification was somewhat of a novelty at FAA still, so it suffered a costly and protracted certification. By the time it came to market, the company went bust and the competition had already gotten them to market. I'm hoping this third iteration with Syberjet will create some stability for the SJ30. It deserves it - such a pretty and capable performer. At least owner Morgan Freeman is behind it and a happy owner of his.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 00:08 

WWW  Profile

Looks like the revamped SJ30i flies in Q3 according to the news. I'm hoping it will, as it is still 12 years after certification, unbeatable in performance. Faster, longer range and lower cabin than anything else.

But how long before it's certified?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/syberjet-readies-sj30i-for-third-quarter-maiden-flig-433069/

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 01:25 

Post Likes: +707
Aircraft: TBM 850
Very impressive stats. Big price tag as well.....

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 11:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4130
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
I just stumbled across this airplane a couple days ago. Impressive numbers, for sure. Looks similar to a Falcon 10/100 to me, which can't be bad! (Probably not built as heavy!)

I hope they do well.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019, 21:52 

WWW  Profile

It finally has flown now. 18 month re-certification program. Hope it comes out the other end.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-syberjet-launches-sj30i-flight-test-campaig-461441/

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2019, 10:06 

Post Likes: +1167
Aircraft: Breeezy, 182,601P
Looks like it would go from west coast to Hawaii with 1 passenger.

IE Single pilot and their spouse....
Might even do it with 3 people. (2 couples)

Probably won't be legal ETOPS and depending on wind one might have to go KMRY to PHTO
to get fuel... but still that's pretty cool...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2019, 10:19 

Post Likes: +4520
Aircraft: V35
Perhaps it can be like the IAI Astra SPX. Interesting high performing jet, but business customers didn’t understand the brand or support system. Bought by Gulfstream, now those questions are answered. G100/150.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2019, 12:27 

Post Likes: +1707
Aircraft: F33A, A320
Very limited market. No one outside an owner/operator would want to sit in a cabin that small for that long.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2019, 08:58 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
2500 nm range; Mach.83. SP. Sea level pressure to 41K. :crazy: Tops at 49K To me it’s the equivalent of the “CJ5”:The only logical next step. And it looks like Honeywell has stepped up to the plate. Pretty much same stuff goes in a Falcon. Hope it works out this time.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 23:26 

Post Likes: +1862
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
Like the Beech Starship, it was ahead of the times when it was developed over 3 decades ago. They have improved the aircraft and it has some capabilities that the Phenom 300 and Latitude lack and a potentially better price point. However, for stability, Cessna, Embrarer, and Gulfstream are hard to beat. It would be interesting to see one of those nifty computer generated comparison sheets showing the CJ4 or Latitude, the G150, the Phenom 300, and the SJ-30i.

We had plenty of hard working West Virginians that were more than happy to build this aircraft 2 decades ago. By then it had already been through the hands of Gulfstream, Jafee Group, and Lockheed brokered a deal to have it built in Martinsburg. However, they would only build a few airframes before the company would run into trouble again and be sold again.

Hopefully they will take off this time but it is hard to beat the marketing machines of Cessna, Gulfstream, and Embrarer.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2019, 14:37 

Post Likes: +170
Aircraft: 182R
Morgan Freeman has one. He seems to like it....I'll bring it up if I run into him at an Ole Miss basketball game this season
Attachment:
N30GZ.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 07:00 

Thread bump: saw this plane in Naples yesterday. Interesting to say the least. Lots of ramp appeal; something close to a Lear. It is small though. I liked it. Didn’t look like a citation; didn’t look like a Phenom 300 bus; it looked sleek and personal. Crazy stuff: 32 degree swept wing with leading (Heated) edge slats that come out and down 20 degrees for landing which gives a Vref from between 95 and 110. The gear are modeled after the F18 Hornet and tuck into the fuselage, not the wing so more room for fuel. Big downside: the wheels are really small. Brake energy on TO is a big factor for balanced field length. Hot and high it will have very high TO requirements. (Unless you aren’t worried about losing one) No flushable potty. The cockpit you feel like you’re in a fighter jet. 12PSI cabin. That’s sea level to 41K. Nuts. But apparently some Gulfstream’s have 11PSI. Engines and avionics will be same as PC24. Williams dash 4 and Honeywell Epic. 2 GPS and one INS for intercontinental flight. Burns 600 pph total at 47K I believe. Service ceiling 49K The test pilot was at the show. He explained the only difference between this plane and the CJ4 basically was the wing which allowed much higher speeds, and higher altitudes allowed less fuel burn for the longer range. It holds 4800 lbs of fuel. I think the CJ4 holds 5800. Of course the 4 has a bigger and much nicer cabin. Like I said the Syber has a personal feel. The guy said it’s 2 weeks learning just the avionics. Similar to the Falcon 7 EASy which I saw at NBAA in Orlando. That said this plane was an experimental prototype and didn’t have upgraded engines, avionics, or even a cabin.

BTW. Flying into Naples was a hoot. Maybe the busiest GA field I’ve ever been to. And I’ve been to KTEB. Leaving tower informed a guy there was a conga line of 13 Gulfstream’s and Challengers on their way in. The place was packed.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 08:59 

Post Likes: +4520
Aircraft: V35
As I understand the jet market, the key values are the maintenance network, engine programs (power by the hour), being part of a good-sized fleet which helps with aftermarket support and resale value, etc.

If someone invents a jet that is 10% or 15% better, but lacks the above, the jet is an also-ran for a decade until the big manufacturers catch up. Best case, one of the big boys buys the company, as Gulfstream did to get the G100.

The SyberJet has been in gestation since 1995 and in that time it has gone from revolutionary to “slightly better” or just “different tradeoffs” compared to competitors. I am doubting they can provide an ownership experience as good as Cessna, Embraer, Gulfstream before the design is passed up by comparison.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 09:16 

Username Protected wrote:
As I understand the jet market, the key values are the maintenance network, engine programs (power by the hour), being part of a good-sized fleet which helps with aftermarket support and resale value, etc.

If someone invents a jet that is 10% or 15% better, but lacks the above, the jet is an also-ran for a decade until the big manufacturers catch up. Best case, one of the big boys buys the company, as Gulfstream did to get the G100.

The SyberJet has been in gestation since 1995 and in that time it has gone from revolutionary to “slightly better” or just “different tradeoffs” compared to competitors. I am doubting they can provide an ownership experience as good as Cessna, Embraer, Gulfstream before the design is passed up by comparison.

Yeah. Maintenace was brought up. That will be an uphill. They mentioned production is taking place on 2 planes right now without the upgraded engines in San Antonio. Then production is going to Utah. And hope to have maintenance facilities in Ca and Fl. Maybe they ultimately hope to get picked up. But I really don’t see that happening. It’s too much just a little personal fighter jet. Passenger amenities are scant, to say the least.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next