banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 00:25 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Boeing vs airbus
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 00:45 

Post Likes: +1751
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Username Protected wrote:
..the Boeing levers show the pilot what he is GETTING at all times.

That's pretty damn funny. Because I'm type rated in four different models of Boeing airliners and on every single one of them, the N1 gauge is primary for power setting.

The levers are controls.

Not indicators.

But don't let that stop you, I'm really enjoying your argument above with a current and qualified A320 Captain about how his jet operates. (Actually more than one A320 pilot.)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 01:01 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
The levers are controls.

Not indicators.

The levers indicate the control input from BOTH the pilot and the auto throttle.

I am not disagreeing with the A320 pilots about HOW it operates, they confirmed that, I am disagreeing that it operates the SAME as a Boeing. It does NOT. There is a material difference which was exemplified by the accident pilot feeling the need to cycle the power levers through their travel range feeling he wasn't getting the power he commanded.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 01:04 

Post Likes: +2936
Aircraft: PA24-260, C340 Ram 7
On the FADEC 767-300’s the throttles simply turn RVDT’s (rotary variable displacement transformers), they feed a computer that relays a command to the engines.

I believe this is not entirely true.
Mike C.

Hmmmm, actually it is true but,not necessary the complete schematic of a B-767 throttle.

Yep, sure there are ancillary systems like auto throttle motors, GA buttons AT disconnect buttons etc.

That reminds me, we had a guy on night shift that knew everything about everything.
After awhile the rest of the guys were fed up with this, so one night the know it all was asked “Do you know anything about 18 wheelers?” “No” was the reply.
“OK tonight we’re talking about 18 wheelers”.

That lasted about 10 minutes, then the know it all, started making statements about 18 wheelers.

:deadhorse:

Murray

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 02:03 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8066
Company: Revolutionary Realty
Aircraft: 1954 Bonanza E35
Again, for all of you "Airbus is just as good as Boeing" people....I have never seen a Boeing get flown into trees & kill people because the plane was doing one thing while the pilot thought it would do something else.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 02:10 

Post Likes: +893
Maybe the pilot wasn't sure what mode it was in.

As I stated earlier once forward of the FLEX/MCT detent the autothrust system is disengaged and thrust is in manual. ALWAYS. Unless this pilot sudden completely forgot how airplanes work I don't see how he was confused.

Quote:
Moving the levers takes it out of auto into manual mode. The pilot was trying to make sure he canceled any auto mode if there was one.

There is no automatic mode to cancel forward of the MCT detent. There are only two thrust settings possible past that detent; the thrust corresponding to Thrust Lever Angle and TOGA activated by Alpha Floor.

Quote:
Again, the Boeing pilot KNOWS what the engine power is, look at the levers. There is no period of time the levers don't match the engine setting.

There isn't a turbojet out there that uses TLA to indicate delivered thrust to the pilot.

Again, we are talking about a manual thrust mode in the accident airplane.

Quote:
In the Airbus everything forward of the MCT/FLEX detent is ALWAYS manual thrust.

Unless the throttle system has a fault.

This would be true for a Boeing FADEC system as well so what is your point?

Quote:
The pilot CLEARLY did NOT get the thrust he thought he asked for. Why would he go to idle and TOGA again if he was getting what he wanted?

As I stated before this has nothing to do with the autothrust system. All FADEC and most older generation turbofans with at least a basic fuel computer have several idle settings. Some have as many as three; ground idle, flight idle, approach idle.

It takes a l o n g time to spool an engine up from flight idle. (It was largely for this reason that the stabalized approach concept was borne)

Not withstanding the stupidity of a flyby with passengers there was a problem with the approach idle on the accident airplane that resulted in a change. This, however, has nothing to do with the airbus autothrust system. This would have been a problem on any FADEC controlled jet.

Quote:
That shows uncertainty of command to the computer, uncertainty of mode, he "rebooted" the power levers trying to get the computer to do what he wanted.

It only shows that the airplane was not responding as he thought it was. There was a problem but it was unrelated to the autothrust system. It was a problem with the approach idle setting combined with a stupid pilot trick.

Quote:
The Airbus in auto modes will change engine power and NOT move the levers.

Not when the trust levers are at TOGA.

Quote:
The Boeing levers MOVE when the auto modes change power.
Had the accident aircraft been equipped with Boeing autothrottles there would have been no difference because they were in a manual thrust mode.

Quote:
Thus while you are right, the levers show what the pilot WANTED, the Boeing levers show the pilot what he is GETTING at all times. Big difference.

Again, no they don't. The Boeing levers show commanded thrust, not actual thrust. There is a difference and it's an important one.

Quote:
Boeing programs the levers to move with any automatic engine power changes.

Airbus doesn't.

Correct, but the Airbus was not in an autothrust mode, it was in a manual mode and worked identically to Boeing in the accident phase.

Quote:
It doesn't matter in a Boeing if the thrust is by wire or by mechanical cables. The levers work the same through the programming. In an Airbus, it matters. The programming breaks the semantics of the lever controls. They are now ONLY pilot inputs, NOT something the pilot can monitor to see the computer in action.

The semantics of the lever controls? You are deep in left field.

They work EXACTLY the same when in manual. Same indirect pilot to engine interface, same TLA to commanded thrust relationship.

The only difference is when the autothrust system is active.

Quote:
Same thing with the flight controls. The Boeing pilot sees the autopilot move the flight controls, the Airbus never does.

Mike C.

Only true on the Boeing for coordinated flight path changes. The pilot will not see the yoke(s) move when the FBW system moves the flight controls for load and gust alleviation.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 09:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
As I stated earlier once forward of the FLEX/MCT detent the autothrust system is disengaged and thrust is in manual. ALWAYS. Unless this pilot sudden completely forgot how airplanes work I don't see how he was confused.

It was clear the pilot was not getting what he expected. His statements after the crash and his actions prior to it indicate that clearly. If the engines were responding as he expected, there is NO REASON he would have cycled the levers. At the very least, this indicates the man machine interface wasn't working. The pilot was not getting what HE expected.

Quote:
Had the accident aircraft been equipped with Boeing autothrottles there would have been no difference because they were in a manual thrust mode.

The Boeing levers have no "mode". That's my point you seem completely unable to comprehend. The levers are the engine command at all times in all modes. This is simply not true for Airbus.

Quote:
The Boeing levers show commanded thrust, not actual thrust. There is a difference and it's an important one.

Granted, but the Airbus levers don't ALWAYS show commanded thrust.

Quote:
Correct, but the Airbus was not in an autothrust mode, it was in a manual mode and worked identically to Boeing in the accident phase.

Correct, but the pilot has to know which mode the levers are in to know if they show the command.

The basic issue is that the Airbus auto pilot/thrust computers BYPASS the cockpit controls, where in a Boeing, the auto pilot/thrust computers go through the cockpit controls.

This is a fundamental change in the man machine interface.

Quote:
They work EXACTLY the same when in manual. Same indirect pilot to engine interface, same TLA to commanded thrust relationship.

In a Boeing, they work exactly the same ALL THE TIME. There is no mode ambiguity, no need to qualify "when in manual mode".

There is no disagreement between us on HOW the systems work and differ, there appears to be disagreement in whether those differences are SIGNIFICANT. I say they are.

The accident pilot did not get what he was expecting. Airbus did make some change to the control system after the accident.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 11:04 

Post Likes: +2936
Aircraft: PA24-260, C340 Ram 7
Again, for all of you "Airbus is just as good as Boeing" people....I have never seen a Boeing get flown into trees & kill people because the plane was doing one thing while the pilot thought it would do something else.

As I’ve said in a previous post, I love most airplanes including Boeings!

But the KLM 747 at Tenerife was flown into the other 747 for much the same reason as the 320 that hit the trees. Pilot arrogance coupled with copilot timidness.
The Airbus pilot lived and was covering his arrogant butt by saying it wasn’t doing what he wanted, including showing pictures of the elevators doing opposite HIS commands.
How dare the airplane do that to him, the senior pilot of Air France!

Murray

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 11:17 

WWW  Profile

Murray, there's nothing similar about the Tenerife accident & the Airbus one.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 11:30 

Post Likes: +1793
Aircraft: 1979 Sundowner
Whatever.

I'm just glad to be on a commercial airliner where I'm about as safe as can be.

I do sweat the shuttle bus to the terminal whether it's a GM or Ford bus, either way.

:bud:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 11:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7310
Aircraft: 1978 Bonanza A36
Murray, there's nothing similar about the Tenerife accident & the Airbus one.

Chris,

I respectfully disagree. I have studied both of these accidents in a lot of detail, and in his post Murray put his finger on what I very clearly see as a common element in both accidents: pilot arrogance and copilot timidness. I couldn't have found better words for it.

As different as these accidents were in terms of aircraft involved, loss of lives, etc. - either accident could have easily been prevented by removing that common element from the chain of events.

- Martin

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 12:07 

Post Likes: +531

As I’ve said in a previous post, I love most airplanes including Boeings!

But the KLM 747 at Tenerife was flown into the other 747 for much the same reason as the 320 that hit the trees. Pilot arrogance coupled with copilot timidness.
The Airbus pilot lived and was covering his arrogant butt by saying it wasn’t doing what he wanted, including showing pictures of the elevators doing opposite HIS commands.
How dare the airplane do that to him, the senior pilot of Air France!

Murray

This a joke, right?

The Tenerife tragedy would have occurred if both Captains had been flying C-172's . . .

AF447 WOULD NOT have occurred if they had been flying a Boeing . . . If they were, the Captain would have walked in, looked at the AFT position of the yoke, bitch slapped either or both of the FO's and said push the damn thing forward.

EMERGENCY TERMINATED!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 12:08 

Post Likes: +1289
Aircraft: PA-28 / C-182
Maybe a Delta guy could come on here and talk about the new A350 and the philosophy change at EADS, emphasis on pilot control and airman ship, that now mirrors Boeing. From the magazine articles I have read it seems like a total sea change. But I am just a trained engineer, so maybe a professional could weigh in.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 12:14 

Post Likes: +1289
Aircraft: PA-28 / C-182
This a joke, right?

The Tenerife tragedy would have occurred if both Captains had been flying C-172's . . .

AF447 WOULD NOT have occurred if they had been flying a Boeing . . . If they were, the Captain would have walked in, looked at the AFT position of the yoke, bitch slapped either or both of the FO's and said push the damn thing forward.

EMERGENCY TERMINATED!

Airbus has found new ways to kill people. We promise to take care of you, until we can't then we will fail you spectacularly and at the worst possible moment when you expected us to have your back, because that's what we promised. And not only that, but we will automate the hell of it and dump it back in your lap once we have attempted to totally rid you of any skill you might have had.

See Mike C.'s post on the AOA failure on the acceptance flight with the check airmen and chief pilot on board. That was a trim stall if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 12:19 

WWW  Profile

Martin-
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I have studied both of these accidents in a lot of detail, and in his post Murray put his finger on what I very clearly see as a common element in both accidents: pilot arrogance and copilot timidness. I couldn't have found better words for it.

I agree with you Martin, respectfully, that the problems were pilot arrogance etc in both of the accidents. That being said, the accidents were definitively different in a thousand ways....in Tenerife, one plane was LANDING & hit another plane that was on the runway; on the airbus accident the pilot was trying to climb out when his aircraft didn't respond. Now granted, maybe the airbus didn't respond because the pilot input a command incorrectly; but the fact is; the Tenerife accident happened because another plane wasn't supposed to BE on the runway, and the airbus happened because the pilot didn't have control over what his aircraft was doing, or going to do. He was factually NOT in control of his aircraft, and the primary reason for this was both his own incompetency & control systems that are not fail or fool proof.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 12:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5538
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V

EMERGENCY TERMINATED!

There's a little more to it than that. In fact, I think most 'sky gods' would have screwed that one up too, faced with the same info. Yes, they messed up bad, but it was confusing scenario in a high stress situation. Now if just AOA had been displayed properly, and not as a buried data in airliners, then...

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

Last edited on 15 Nov 2017, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next