17 Dec 2017, 01:55 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Pilots Needed - Long Shot
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 21:07 

Post Likes: +1683
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
Question: if getting loyal employee pilots is getting tough, why not use contract pilots? This model works great in software industry. Sure, the hourly rate for a contractor is higher than what you'd pay an employee, but you get people who already have requisite skills and experience, so there is no training costs, no 401k contributions, no paid sick/vacation time and no questions about loyalty. You work, you get paid - it's simple as that, and both sides are happy.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 07:22 

Post Likes: +38
Aircraft: In Between
Username Protected wrote:
Question: if getting loyal employee pilots is getting tough, why not use contract pilots? This model works great in software industry. Sure, the hourly rate for a contractor is higher than what you'd pay an employee, but you get people who already have requisite skills and experience, so there is no training costs, no 401k contributions, no paid sick/vacation time and no questions about loyalty. You work, you get paid - it's simple as that, and both sides are happy.

For 91 that would work, we are a 135 operator and that is tough to do.

I am mulling over the bonus structure suggested earlier though, that may have some legs.

Thanks.

Brad

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 22:58 

Post Likes: +81
Aircraft: 1957 Bonanza G35
Brad
I am a 1750+ hour sel pilot fair amount of ifr I fly 4 to 10 hours a week 160 hours since January 25th what are the time in type hours to be a captain I often thought about going corp but didn't know where to start. A pm response would be fine .

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 12:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2
Company: GI
Aircraft: M20C, C172
Just out of curiosity what are the minimums for the FO position? It seems like every 135 and 91 operation is different.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 06:50 

Brad
I am a 1750+ hour sel pilot fair amount of ifr I fly 4 to 10 hours a week 160 hours since January 25th what are the time in type hours to be a captain I often thought about going corp but didn't know where to start. A pm response would be fine .

Sorry for the delayed response; typical for a captain on a Beechjet we are "controlled" by Arg/US and Wyvern for brokered trips. ARG/US and Wynvern are 3000 TT, 200+ in type.

For 91 trips, we usually look at about 2500TT, depending on experience, and in type is usually more than 200 by then as well.

Brad

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 06:53 

Just out of curiosity what are the minimums for the FO position? It seems like every 135 and 91 operation is different.

We normally send our CFI's to initial PIC at around 800TT, most of which is SEL CFI experience.

For 135 its 1000 TT and time in type, which is why they usually get typed at 800TT. That will give the 100-200 in type by the time the reach 1000, depending on their CFI load after the type, if they are finishing students.

Brad

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 12:38 

Post Likes: +96
Aircraft: 1967 Debonair C33A

Airline aircraft/procedure standardization for risk mitigation. In SW development if there is a bug, you can come back and "fix".

Smoke in the cockpit with other emergencies with a non-standardized crew/equipment with limited time to execute critical decisions - not so much...

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 11:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +20
Aircraft: C23
As a bigger question. Why the FAA requires 135 pilots to be trained by the individual certification holder? In these new times, a standard 135 trained pilot using same Ops Specs should be able to jump in and do the same job he did the day before for another 135 operation. These are new times and the industry needs to get together and come up with solutions rather than ignore the problem. I can see the same use for 121 ops. The mine is better mentally is sunk quickly when a deep dive into accidents and major incidents is looked at closely.

Cheers, James

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 21:38 

Post Likes: +1683
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
Airline aircraft/procedure standardization for risk mitigation. In SW development if there is a bug, you can come back and "fix".

Smoke in the cockpit with other emergencies with a non-standardized crew/equipment with limited time to execute critical decisions - not so much...

Right, but we are talking about type-certified pilots with many hundreds (or thousands) of hours in that particular type. They all went through the same training, probably at the same FlightSafety facility.

I understand that each operator has their own op specs, but it doesn't sound like something that can't be covered in a 3-day ground school class.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 21:50 

Right, but we are talking about type-certified pilots with many hundreds (or thousands) of hours in that particular type. They all went through the same training, probably at the same FlightSafety facility.

I understand that each operator has their own op specs, but it doesn't sound like something that can't be covered in a 3-day ground school class.

While this seems logical, we are talking about the FAA. Every pilot had to be trained by our named training provider (142 Sim) using our op specs and our approved training program.

A pilot is only allowed to be on one 135 cert at a time.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 10:31 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: BE77, C90A
Time to think outside the box. Had a Center manager at FSI years ago that was having a hard time filling spots. He started 7 days on, 7 off. Rented
A two bedroom furnished apartment and had 4 new instructors
A week later. Did that twice and had 8 excellent employees.
Most of us want a decent paycheck and a schedule, and actually
enjoy corporate type flying.
Get this in place and call me.
Dave

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 09:03 

Post Likes: +105
Aircraft: F33A
Raising the retirement age! Bad idea in my opinion for many reasons but one has been stated...the FAA (get Trump to appoint me head of the FAA and it will be a whole new wonderful world) will change the standards AND the FAA Medical Branch (which would be my first house cleaning) would "raise" the requirements for medicals. Australia did this and they lost a bunch of pilots with the new standards aimed at the "old guys". They found a lot of younger (okay middle aged) guys were not able to meet the newer enhanced requirements. How many post age 60 pilots have died in the cockpit?

I might suggest that you might be able to fill your needs in Evansville IN if you look just east of you in Louisville AND understand that a retired pilot will be a little more demanding of what you expect. I know several that have officially retired from a large freight company in SDF that still fly a little corporate on the side. I will be retiring very soon and already have contacts where I live that need me to talk on the radio and jerk the gear for a daily rate plus expenses.

An operation like you have might be of interest to someone like me with some limitations on you.
1st. If I don't want to go then too bad, have a large enough pool to back a flight up. I will honor a commitment but I want to know about a trip far enough ahead of time that my boss will okay me being gone.
2. I will come in and fly but I won't do any other duties such as revisions, cleaning, marketing etc. .
3. I want my pay check to be in an envelope with CASH inside...no checks under any circumstances. If you pay by check then the pilot is going to stop flying before the SS limits. I haven't explored an LLC or some other accounting way to avoid this yet.

Most of my contemporaries have 30 plus years of international heavy jet time with about 20K hours and we are easy to get along with if you don't try to screw us. (I am a member of the strongest and most unified pilot union in the world for a reason) I want to stay active but I am not looking for a career or full time job. Also, another benefit for you....these guys have been there and done that and know what works and would be great mentors for your up and coming young guys.

To get the experience you need you are probably going to have to deal with this.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 09:35 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: TBM
That is a very challenging requirement for any legitimate business, especially one that is not getting paid cash by their customers...

How will the business account for the cash outflow? Not reporting the payment on 1099-MISC to the IRS is a probably a crime (tax fraud - especially when done knowingly).

You could set up an S or C-corp and try to avoid the 1099, but then you could end up in a different tax quandary.

Let us know if you find some creative ways to skin this cat... a bunch of folks on this list would be very interested in a solution.

3. I want my pay check to be in an envelope with CASH inside...no checks under any circumstances. If you pay by check then the pilot is going to stop flying before the SS limits. I haven't explored an LLC or some other accounting way to avoid this yet.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 09:45 

Post Likes: +830
Aircraft: TBM, C185, C195
Dan,

“3. I want my pay check to be in an envelope with CASH inside...no checks under any circumstances. If you pay by check then the pilot is going to stop flying before the SS limits. I haven't explored an LLC or some other accounting way to avoid this yet. ”

A legit 135 business can not pay you cash off the books. You need to talk to the CIA for that.... :rofl:

OP needs pilots not jail time... your post was in jest. :coffee:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 11:19 

Post Likes: +161
Company: USAF Propulsion Laboratory
Aircraft: PA24, Aerostar 680
Payments in cash does not preclude reporting the payments to the IRS.

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next