banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 21:55 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Turbine step up?
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 10:13 

Post Likes: +21340
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
Wish everyone was as honorable to deal with as you Adam. We’ve all had cases where that’s not what happened. (Clapping hands).

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 20:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7329
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Yes. +1

I tell our clients we need three things to make a good deal, a good airplane, a good agreement and a good SELLER!

Many buyers have lost exhorbinate amounts of time and money because the seller couldn’t or wouldn’t do what they said.

Same is true of bad buyers... they might be even more prevelent, but we make sure our buyers are honorable and able, if not we won’t represent them.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 00:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5540
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Looks like it will fall out of escrow now. I've done my bit. I'm kind of happy about it, to be honest. :thumbup: Always wanted to keep her after all I've spent on her and the voes we've had, just underestimated how much money a startup eats.

Plan is to fix the most pressing stuff in Oregon, then ferry her back here and try to do as much as I can locally and at a slower pace. Wish us luck. :cross:

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 01:29 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
Good luck, Adam. I admire your persistence and determination. I hope to meet you and see her in person some time!
:bow:

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 10:02 

Post Likes: +602
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
Quote:
Plan is to fix the most pressing stuff in Oregon

Was the pre buy being done at Aero Air?

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 11:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9094
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
Username Protected wrote:
Plan is to fix the most pressing stuff in Oregon, then ferry her back here and try to do as much as I can locally and at a slower pace.

At this point would it not make more sense to just fix everything and be done so you can fly her and enjoy, rather than putting yourself through more pain with continuing the slow approach?

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 12:28 

WWW  Profile

Quote:
Plan is to fix the most pressing stuff in Oregon

Was the pre buy being done at Aero Air?

Yes sir.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 13:10 

Aero Air is good and will get it fixed but they are not cheap. I did some heavy maintenance on my 500B there (gear and boots). They did a good job but it definitely set me back. What is remaining to be done?

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 13:21 

WWW  Profile

Aero Air is good and will get it fixed but they are not cheap. I did some heavy maintenance on my 500B there (gear and boots). They did a good job but it definitely set me back. What is remaining to be done?

Agreed. They do things right there, but they're pretty strict with stuff, which is great and is as it should be, but when you have an old airframe it can sometimes be like bringing an old house up to the latest building code. ;)

The big items are:

1. 3rd stage T-wheel needs replacing for a used one on one engine. Cycled out.
2. New boots on main wing.
3. Needs pressurization leaks chased.
4. Needs props inspected (this is an SB, so optional).

Then there's a lots of smaller niggly stuff, but it adds up. The fuel bladders have now been repaired and hopefully they'll not leak anymore. One less thing to deal with. The scary one is the turbine wheel. I have an estimate for that that's manageable, but when they open the engine up it could get worse. Trying to avoid it becoming a full hot when it doesn't need to be.

Last edited on 21 May 2019, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 13:25 

Keeping these old turbines flying can be a bit frustrating and expensive, but they sure are great to fly:-)

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 13:27 

WWW  Profile

Keeping these old turbines flying can be a bit frustrating and expensive, but they sure are great to fly:-)

The PT6 is in many ways a better engine when you run them over TBO or to do hots on them. They seem to be a lot cheaper in general to hot and it can in most scenarios be done on the wing. TPE's need to be cradled and sent off, which adds time and money.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 13:31 

The PT6 is in many ways a better engine when you run them over TBO or to do hots on them. They seem to be a lot cheaper in general to hot and it can in most scenarios be done on the wing. TPE's need to be cradled and sent off, which adds time and money.

I’ve followed your journey from the beginning and have hoped each step of the way it would go well.
One day, we’ll each be standing at the pearly gates and when asked what we have done to distinguish ourselves, we can mention that we maintained a legacy twin turbine on a reasonable budget!

Of course, in addition to other accomplishments.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 13:57 

Post Likes: +1963
Aircraft: Columbia 400
, just underestimated how much money a startup eats.
:

Boy howdy, am I ever with you there, brother.

Not just money, but time too.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 14:22 

Quote:
Agreed. They do things right there, but they're pretty strict with stuff, which is great and is as it should be, but when you have an old airframe it can sometimes be like bringing an old house up to the latest building code.

Good analogy, and very true.

Out of all the things on your list one I would defer is the boots. The boots on my 500B were comically old, with all kinds of patches and repairs. But they still inflated and kind of shed ice. I did the whole plane and expected the brand new boots would shed ice much better. But in the end they performed about the same. And the best anti ice on a turbine is all that horsepower, so I would defer boots if you need to save money.

Yes the turbine wheel does sound scary. If you can find a used one that sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure a PT6 is all that much better. Yes, it's easy to get at the hot section and you can do it on wing. But PWC has really strict criteria for the CT blades and all kinds of inspections you need to do based on TT, condition, etc. And they cost like $600 each (58 per engine) so not cheap if you have to replace.

Your pressurization doesn't make full differential? Are you sure it's caused by leaks and not the bleed air valves? I know nothing about TCAC bleed air valves but I think they all include some kind of regulator which could also be the problem. Having Aero Air fix that would probably be best because they know exactly how to troubleshoot and where to look for the most common problems.

As for the props, a commander is the one airframe I always thought was best to have well maintained props. If you lose a blade, it could go right through the cabin. It happened at least once that I know of and killed someone.

Good luck man. Sucks especially since you had to endure MK for a while before figuring out it was time to bolt.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 15:13 

Different shops can have different philopophies while both maintain the plane to standards. Some are all about eliminating down time with expense a secondary concern. Others, can take more time to fix, shop for parts etc. and be more reasonable. Hard to change how a shop does things. Better to find one more in tune with one's operating philosophy.

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next