banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 19:21 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 48  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Turbine step up?
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 22:10 

Post Likes: +1828
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Where did u find used t wheels?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 22:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5538
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Username Protected wrote:

Hancock Entreprises have them and the service center had also located another serviceable one for $2000 (but don't know how many cycles it has on it).

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 00:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

They are out there, lots of used and parted out engines.

The 3rd wheel has the lowest cycle life due to having the longest, smallest blades and the largest diameter. The blade creep is highest on this wheel with each cycle, despite it being at the lowest temperature.

The forces on the blades are incredible at operating RPM. Helmuth (Honeywell pilot liaison guy) calculated it was in the range of 9000 Gs at 41,730 RPM.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 06:03 

Post Likes: +152
Aircraft: C550 - C560
Just for posterity for TPE331 owners:

You're looking at about $2-3/cycle on a used wheel. The used 3rd stage with 1200 cycles on it will set me back about $2800. The stator might need some work, the burner can and plenum needs NDTing (and probably some welding) when they open them up and the turbine bearing and nut probably needs replacing. Total estimated costs around $10-15K to change a wheel with the work. Then the cost of swinging the engine, shipping it and rigging it on airframe is on top of that.

Adam

Sorry to hear of your plight with your motor. I would suggest that you get the motor borescope before you slit the case just to see if there is any other surprises in there. Anytime we borescope the motors I am looking over his shoulder to exactly what’s going on in there.

Not sure if it’s any comfort but $2800 for a turbine wheel is an absolute bargin as any wheel in a JT15D starts at 40k.

Good luck

Gary

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 16:21 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
What's the latest? :shrug:

The latest is that I'm considering heavy medication! :bugeye:

Plane got dropped off at service center just before xmas after all the troubles I've had with my previous mechanic. The estimate was kind of sobering and a lot of stuff that had already been done now has to be validated and signed off all over again, which is really annoying. One of the most annoying ones is the spray test for the nozzles which I had done less than 40hrs ago. But because the previous mechanic has that paperwork and we're not in communication, I might have to do them over again unless I can get the test shop to send me verification of that. Annoying to have to pay $3.2K for something that's already been done.

Biggest unexpected item was that service center had a different cycle count than the one the previous mechanic and I had adhered to, which now is resulting in the left engine being cycled out on the 3rd turbine wheel. I asked them to recount their cycle count as thoroughly as possible, and it seems they're correct and the numbers I had were wrong. So engine will have to be sent out and that 3rd wheel replaced. I've found a good used wheel and a shop that can do it for a fair price, but It's not a cost I had anticipated right now. And with the addition of all the other stuff, it's more than I'd hoped for.

Well, that certainly stinks. :thumbdown:

Looking back, why/how did things go off the rails with the original mechanic? Iirc you were calling him the Commander Guru during the honeymoon phase?

Been doing any flying in the meantime? Borrowing or renting a plane?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 17:03 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
Wow Adam, you spent the money and tons of your time and you haven’t gotten much flying time from it. I know there is no going back but do you still think it’ll all be worth it?

No, it won't financially. I will not get my money back when I sell it. But I still think overall it's acceptable as it got me into turbines for not a ton of money - I'm probably $350K into it now with a new panel and new interior. I doubt I could get much more than $275K for her? When I need to cheer myself up I think of the engine overhaul I did on my Aerostar. They cost $140K with the accompanying annual and that money was just straight down the drain - you get almost nothing of it back come selling time. This airplane is still besting that number by a little bit. ;)

Now, the time aspect of it is the part that hurts the most. Now 4 years later I've not flown her that much and that's 4 years gone from my total flying time. I now see that it does make sense to finance planes and get to the flying part quicker - I didn't in the past. We only have so many years of qualifying for a medical. I don't think I'll buy a fixer-upper again.

4 years!? Wow, I’ve been following your story from the start and I thought it was half of that. Goes to show how fast my clock is ticking these days.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 23:25 

WWW  Profile

Looking back, why/how did things go off the rails with the original mechanic? Iirc you were calling him the Commander Guru during the honeymoon phase?

I don't want to elaborate too much, but I went to him for years because he was highly recommended by the community at that time. And he is very knowledgeable about Commanders. And great if you need to source a used part. But I don't know what happened to him - his maintenance was always slow, but now it's glacial and he's cutting corners, not doing the work he's said he has etc. I honestly think he's hard up for cash and stopped caring completely.

I feel extra bad because I recommended him to a new Commander owner just a little more than a year and a half ago, and he's had an absolute nightmare. I at least got out of there with all my logbooks and most of the work done. He wasn't as lucky - let his 685 sit on the ramp for 6 months with the cowlings off while he kept asking for more money and doing absolutely nothing to the plane! :crazy:

I have been flying mine, but just not as much as I'd hoped for or being able to use it as intended. It's mainly been maintenance flights, test flights and a few trips. The good thing with the factory 100hr phase inspections is that if you don't fly that much, she stays in annual for years.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 00:01 

WWW  Profile

The good thing with the factory 100hr phase inspections is that if you don't fly that much, she stays in annual for years.

There's no calendar time intervals?

Most of the inspection programs I see have hour and calendar time limits. Like 100 hours *or* 1 year, whichever comes first. Commander has no calendar limits?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 00:05 

Post Likes: +4796
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66

I don't want to elaborate too much, but I went to him for years because he was highly recommended by the community at that time. And he is very knowledgeable about Commanders. And great if you need to source a used part. But I don't know what happened to him - his maintenance was always slow, but now it's glacial and he's cutting corners, not doing the work he's said he has etc. I honestly think he's hard up for cash and stopped caring completely.

I feel extra bad because I recommended him to a new Commander owner just a little more than a year and a half ago, and he's had an absolute nightmare. I at least got out of there with all my logbooks and most of the work done. He wasn't as lucky - let his 685 sit on the ramp for 6 months with the cowlings off while he kept asking for more money and doing absolutely nothing to the plane! :crazy:

I have been flying mine, but just not as much as I'd hoped for or being able to use it as intended. It's mainly been maintenance flights, test flights and a few trips. The good thing with the factory 100hr phase inspections is that if you don't fly that much, she stays in annual for years.

This isn't Morris' shop; someone else?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 00:21 

WWW  Profile

The good thing with the factory 100hr phase inspections is that if you don't fly that much, she stays in annual for years.

There's no calendar time intervals?

Most of the inspection programs I see have hour and calendar time limits. Like 100 hours *or* 1 year, whichever comes first. Commander has no calendar limits?

Mike C.

Not on the early ones. No gear inspection, no spar inspection. 681's are the same except there's the 36mo spar inspection they have to comply with. From the 690's it moved to a 150hr factory inspection program where there were some calendar stuff, like the gear and spar etc.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 08:54 

Post Likes: +1058
Aircraft: V35

How do you comply with 91.409? Curious to learn more...

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 03:24 

WWW  Profile

How do you comply with 91.409? Curious to learn more...

I think it's in subpart b).

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 08:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3687
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
I think it's in subpart b).

Doesn't that still require a complete series of inspections within a year?

91.409(d) Progressive inspection..... The frequency and detail of the progressive inspection shall provide for the complete inspection of the aircraft within each 12 calendar months and be consistent with the manufacturer's recommendations, field service experience, and the kind of operation in which the aircraft is engaged

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 08:32 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: x23mouse
:popcorn:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 11:40 

WWW  Profile

How do you comply with 91.409?

FAR 91.409(f)(3):

(3) A current inspection program recommended by the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer plan doesn't require calendar inspections, then you don't need to do them.

Mike C.

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 48  Next