banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 07:04 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Turbine step up?
PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 23:01 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5519
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Username Protected wrote:
Good analogy, and very true.

Out of all the things on your list one I would defer is the boots. The boots on my 500B were comically old, with all kinds of patches and repairs. But they still inflated and kind of shed ice. I did the whole plane and expected the brand new boots would shed ice much better. But in the end they performed about the same. And the best anti ice on a turbine is all that horsepower, so I would defer boots if you need to save money.

I would love to, but mine have literally got big rips in them and just won't inflate. I think it's an airworthiness/MMEL thing at this stage.

Quote:

Yes the turbine wheel does sound scary. If you can find a used one that sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure a PT6 is all that much better. Yes, it's easy to get at the hot section and you can do it on wing. But PWC has really strict criteria for the CT blades and all kinds of inspections you need to do based on TT, condition, etc. And they cost like $600 each (58 per engine) so not cheap if you have to replace.

Used wheels are pretty easy to find and not that expensive. It's just when they open the engine up you might face other wheels and stators that are beyond limits or burner cans cracked etc. Technically, if they're just changing a wheel and not doing a hot, they shouldn't look with a microscope on the other stuff, but they will have to have a cursory look. Especially the burner cans will most likely have cracks in them and those have to be welded.

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 13:07 

Post Likes: +2503
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Good analogy, and very true.

Out of all the things on your list one I would defer is the boots. The boots on my 500B were comically old, with all kinds of patches and repairs. But they still inflated and kind of shed ice. I did the whole plane and expected the brand new boots would shed ice much better. But in the end they performed about the same. And the best anti ice on a turbine is all that horsepower, so I would defer boots if you need to save money.

I would love to, but mine have literally got big rips in them and just won't inflate. I think it's an airworthiness/MMEL thing at this stage.

[quote]

Once you get to the turbine game, either it's airworthy, unairworthy, or deferred IAW an approved MEL for your individual serial number aircraft. The MMEL has no operational value as it's a reference to get your individual MEL approved. Unless you have an approved MEL, which based on reading this thread, I doubt, the airplane is simply unairworthy.

You can't legally put an "INOP" placard on a turbine airplane that doesn't have a MEL...

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 13:31 

WWW  Profile

I did check MMEL for shits and giggles and as long as you stay out of icing and forecast ice, you can fly with them inop.

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 13:50 

I did check MMEL for shits and giggles and as long as you stay out of icing and forecast ice, you can fly with them inop.

....and once you get a MEL approved for your serial number, you will be able to defer the boots. Until that point, a turbine airplane is legally unairworthy with inoperative items.

PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 20:58 

Post Likes: +1055
Aircraft: V35
Like Jason said, a MMEL is not a MEL. Until you fix the boots you are not airworthy.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 19:54 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
Adam, what's the status these days? :shrug:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 20:10 

Post Likes: +1687
Aircraft: T210M

....and once you get a MEL approved for your serial number, you will be able to defer the boots. Until that point, a turbine airplane is legally unairworthy with inoperative items.

Well, since the thread is bumped . . .

Since a MMEL exists for the type, I think all you have to do is write a letter to your FSDO asking permission to use the MMEL as an MEL.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 23:43 

WWW  Profile

Adam, what's the status these days? :shrug:

Not much to report. Service center have been busy with other clients and I've not had any funds away from my startup to put into moving things forward in a speedy matter. Still trying to rectify all the stuff the previous mechanic didn't do or sign off (he has since died).

They are gonna put one mechanic on her end of Jan and we'll start to ramp things up slightly, but finances are strained and I don't see it improving much over the coming year. We did change all the de-ice slip rings for the heated props recently, so it's not completely stopped, but not as fast as I'd like, for sure.

But I can only do so much right now. Am I fed up with it? You bet. But it is what it is. :sad:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 22:16 

Post Likes: +14
Aircraft: PA-31 Navajo
I just finished reading this entire thread and I can’t help but admire you for taking on such a labor of love! I find myself in a very similar situation with a young family looking to grow into an (entry level) Jet-A traveling machine so please keep your updates coming….Good and bad!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 18:10 

WWW  Profile

Ferried her back in May without any trouble. Was nice to be back in the air.

Trying to find time to get interior finalized myself mainly, but now the old interior shop has moved facility and changed owner, so the rear seats are now locked in some hangar that nobody quite knows how to get to etc...

In aviation you either have lost of money, or lots off patience. :coffee: :thumbup: ;)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/10Em0XCMkx8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/8Wr-HBCdz0c[/youtube]

Last edited on 02 Sep 2021, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 18:28 

Post Likes: +500
Aircraft: Pitts S-2B
Great to see this thread alive and you flying your airplane. You're making me want to slum it in the turboprop world. Let us know if we can support you by buying more wine.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 18:39 

Post Likes: +279
Aircraft: TC690A
Great to see you flying Adam.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2021, 07:12 

Trying to find time to get interior finalized myself mainly, but now the old interior shop has moved facility and changed owner, so the rear seats are now locked in some hangar that nobody quite knows how to get to etc...

If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all!

You're starting to catch up to Laz on the screwing events.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2021, 10:50 

Post Likes: +3718
Company: Flagstaff-Williams Dev. LLC
Aircraft: 1965 310J
I would venture to say that Adam has become one of the most experienced Aero Commander owners out there.

There are very few corners of the AC habitat that he hasn't been and been bitten by the pests in it.

Come to think of it, I recall a time when he had NO grey hair. :)

=======
Never say "Cut!!"

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2021, 11:09 

WWW  Profile

Great to see this thread alive and you flying your airplane. You're making me want to slum it in the turboprop world. Let us know if we can support you by buying more wine.

Thank you! But take my advice - don't slum it in the turboprop world! ;)

I did notice on the last starts that the batteries were starting to get a little bit tired. I bought new Gill's when I got the aircraft, but after 4 years of not much use and exercise, I suppose it takes its toll on them. I wanted to shift from Gill's to Concorde anyway, but it's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. About $7K for 2 new batteries from Concorde! :eek:

Wish I could put those Polymer batteries in that Mike Patey uses for his Scrappy plane. Tons more power, much lighter, much smaller.

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next