banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 12:16 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 48  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Turbine step up?
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 12:41 

Post Likes: +5144
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Welcome back Adam! I wish I could offer some avionics advice that would not cost a grip of dough - looks like you have a Collins FD-108 system in that bird. I think you could spend a fortune getting that functioning properly. Might be less expensive to remove it and install an Aspen.

Sven

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 12:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5540
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
But every week I read threads started about Aspens malfunctioning, so was a little weary of that... And I'm not sure an Aspen will talk to my old H-14 A/P from the 60's, so I decided to stay with the Collins. Changing A/P is not an option, unfortunately.

My Guardian Avionics iPad panel mount I really like, but I made the mistake of ordering it with the audio plug as well as power plug. This makes it very hard to get it to mount easily, so if anyone else is considering this mount (which they should if they like flush panel mounts), then don't order it with the audio plug. Lesson learned!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 12:58 

Post Likes: +5144
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Username Protected wrote:
But every week I read threads started about Aspens malfunctioning, so was a little weary of that... And I'm not sure an Aspen will talk to my old H-14 A/P from the 60's, so I decided to stay with the Collins. Changing A/P is not an option, unfortunately.

I don't know if the Aspen is any better or worse than any other avionics component. My brother has had one for 8 years in his F33A Bonanza and has never had a hiccup. I know my old Brittain B4 will work with an Aspen and right now it is playing well with my GNS430W/GI106B. I would bet that the H14 will play too. The challenge as you know is finding someone who knows their way around the H14.

Sven

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 14:54 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Adam,

Good luck finishing the resurrection of the Commander.
In terms of the Aspens, I had no problems in 300 hours, and the following owner had another few hundred hours without issue.

In discussions with a few avionics shops at the time I was doing the install, I found a common thread on those who had problems with Aspens. They believed the marketing crap, and just put the Aspen in the existing wholes and did not clean up panel. I suspect, in those cases, the Aspen is cooking itself. Hence, one of the reasons I gutted the panel and removed over 45lbs of wires.....

Tim

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 15:04 

WWW  Profile

It would save additional weight to go with an Aspen. I just pulled out over 136lbs of wire, old radios and boxes, so that's a lot. But I'm also tapped out after received the avionics bill that was about $30K more than I'd expected... :sad:

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 15:06 

Post Likes: +326
Aircraft: Beech A36
It would save additional weight to go with an Aspen. I just pulled out over 136lbs of wire, old radios and boxes, so that's a lot. But I'm also tapped out after received the avionics bill that was about $30K more than I'd expected... :sad:

$30k over budget and doesn't work? Might I suggest that you tell the shop they will receive the money just as soon as their install functions as intended?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 15:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3687
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2

The Aspen will interface. the H-14 used standard ARINC inputs for heading/course and nav signals, which is what the FD-108 uses.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 19:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9094
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
I'm also tapped out after received the avionics bill that was about $30K more than I'd expected... :sad:

Ouch! well if it's any consolation, looks awesome. I'm sure you'll get it resolved. Thanks for continuing your updates. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 11:36 

WWW  Profile

Adam, we need a thread on the entire process of your 680V buying/fixing/refurbishing process with pix. I keep wondering what the deal-e-o is with that thing...

I wish I had exciting news to share, but I don't. Things just take forever... I've certainly cured my appetite for extreme makeovers. But at least it's progressing. Next month it's coming up on 3 years... :sad:

Pressurization leaks are now taken care of mostly. Had to change the whole wing root sealings, which is a common leak point on Commanders. Had a big leak in the pressurization hose going into environmental system as well. Hopefully that should be pretty much it. That and some floor sealing. Door seal leaks slightly, but it's just how it sits, not the seal being bad in itself. Probably needs to be built up a little in some areas to seal better.

While we where there mechanic thought the window screws had too much thread on them, suggesting the window seals were getting a bit thin. So we've changed them as well. Two of the smaller windows were very opaque, so sent them off for polishing. I'm hoping they come out good. If not, there's a few second hand, but new windows I've got my eyes on. Thankfully it's the smaller opera windows, not the expensive picture windows.

Most of the avionics stuff has been fixed. One was just an unplugged VOR cable, the IFD540 cutting out was a voltage/charge regulator (I think they're called) problem and a low battery. Have now exchanged for solid state version, so that they can't go offline again. Still need to troubleshoot the gyro pressure and why the autopilot isn't engaging. Being a pneumatic A/P, they're for sure interrelated.

I did put the winglets on! Got them brand new with STC paperwork from an estate sale where they parted out a 681.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 12:13 

Post Likes: +256

I wish I had exciting news to share, but I don't. Things just take forever... I've certainly cured my appetite for extreme makeovers. But at least it's progressing. Next month it's coming up on 3 years... :sad:

Cheer up Adam :peace:

One day you will look back and be very happy with the results. Plus, you are doing a great deed for a bird that would otherwise be trashed, eventually.
Take lots of pictures and create an album. I made a shutterfly album when my dad restored his bird and now it flies great, looks great and great memories pop up when I look at the album.

Rgs,

Patrick.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 14:06 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Adam,

Keep going. I am sure it is 90% done with 90% to go.
After a year or two flying it, you will be ready for your next project plane.
I will then be ready for the Commander... :D

Tim

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 18:59 

WWW  Profile

Thanks for encouragement!

Someone in the Commander world emailed me about a later Jetprop model that would need a lot of work. I'm intrigued as it's basically got most of the things I want (Dash 10 engines, LR tanks etc), but would I ever want to take on another time consuming project that might drag on for years? I dunno. I'm in two minds. Yes, I would, if I could keep a plane so I have something to fly in the meantime. Ideally keep the one I've got, but that might deflect a too much from the new project financially. Turbines are after all not the cheapest to run. It's a tough call, I'll have to see how I feel at the time - when and if it comes up. :eek:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 21:43 

Post Likes: +21
Aircraft: B-55, cheyenneII
U get that fd-112 working yet? Talk to Jerry Bush at porter strait in Tulsa. He knows all that old stuff real well and can probably fix it.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2017, 13:32 

Post Likes: +279
Aircraft: TC690A

Someone in the Commander world emailed me about a later Jetprop model that would need a lot of work. I'm intrigued as it's basically got most of the things I want (Dash 10 engines, LR tanks etc), but would I ever want to take on another time consuming project that might drag on for years? I dunno. I'm in two minds. Yes, I would, if I could keep a plane so I have something to fly in the meantime. Ideally keep the one I've got, but that might deflect a too much from the new project financially. Turbines are after all not the cheapest to run. It's a tough call, I'll have to see how I feel at the time - when and if it comes up. :eek:

Flying with Steve certainly does make you appreciate those dash 10s... it's an expensive free flight :D

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2017, 15:29 

Post Likes: +828
Aircraft: BE36, CE501

If you pass on it, please give me the contact details.

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 48  Next