banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 03:08 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 280  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the Citation II
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 16:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Username Protected wrote:
One more point I'll made, then I have to run. One of the planes we looked at had a LOA from FSDO for a low time maintenance program. There is a fella that specializes in getting these. If the plane is flown up to 150 hours a year, all the inspection times are generally pushed back to twice as long. There's a bit more to it, but the dreaded phase V on these, except for part a, becomes a six year instead of three year inspection.
Very interesting. Since I only fly about 150 to 200 hours a year, in a faster plane, it seems very possible I could stay under that limit. I plan to call the fella that has the LOA to get more details this week.

My experience is that you fly mores hours a year in a faster more capable plane. Especially when you are upgrading from piston to prop jet and prop jet to jet. Just saying.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:14 

Post Likes: +1006
Aircraft: Ex, M-20K
Dave, it seems to me that nether of the attached charts has the data formatted the way you, or any pilot, really wants.

A chart of NMPP (NM/Pound) of fuel greatly simplifies matters by avoiding the need to divide FF by TAS for each condition--instead, you just look for the highest number. Granted, it's easy to make such a chart ahead of time, but doesn't Cessna have one?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:55 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
Dave, do you have the tables for ISA +10 or ISA +15?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 18:26 

Post Likes: +21335
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
My experience is that you fly mores hours a year in a faster more capable plane. Especially when you are upgrading from piston to prop jet and prop jet to jet. Just saying.

:bow: Works for me!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 18:29 

Dave, it seems to me that nether of the attached charts has the data formatted the way you, or any pilot, really wants.

A chart of NMPP (NM/Pound) of fuel greatly simplifies matters by avoiding the need to divide FF by TAS for each condition--instead, you just look for the highest number. Granted, it's easy to make such a chart ahead of time, but doesn't Cessna have one?

There are all sorts of charts and tables ;). I was just trying to provide on illustrative example. Unfortunately, I don't have all those here. I'm trying to soak up thing for my type rating in the plane and the materials I have now, aren't all inclusive. Of course, they should have an EFB like for other models, but they didn't go back and do these models is what the Cessna rep related to me.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 18:30 

What I posted was in the summarized pilot guide. That would be pretty warm of FL370. Do you mean those for takeoff temps and runway length?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 18:48 

Post Likes: +4289
Aircraft: BE 58
Dave,

You're just to logical <g>... great approach to pursuing a jet!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 19:38 

Post Likes: +116
Aircraft: DGA-15P, C140A
Have you looked into an S/II?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 20:17 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC

What I posted was in the summarized pilot guide. That would be pretty warm of FL370. Do you mean those for takeoff temps and runway length?

I often see between ISA+15 and ISA+20 up to FL280 where i fly. On the same routes I see ISA+10 at the higher levels that the citations use. I am curious as to how much the warmer temps slow down the citations.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 20:20 

Dave,

You're just to logical <g>... great approach to pursuing a jet!

Thanks Larry. Love to stay on your good side :)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 20:31 

Have you looked into an S/II?

Briefly. John on here has one as you probably know. We didn't think it was worth the price premium to us. This is a very nice step up for us from 225 knot cruise to about 350. This holds more and has more range, goes higher, is quieter, etc. I had a top number in mind for a nice plane with good remaining engine time. When I looked at SII, there were many fewer on the market and they had a premium that just didn't seem worth it to me. Insurer initially was making it pretty easy to move to a II, didn't ask about the SII. I'm getting a firm insurance proposal Monday.
What we have done is developed our base criteria, then, applied that to the planes we saw that were available. That got us to three we saw listed and one we were told was available from a fella moving up to bigger, faster. So, we're boiling down those four now. We'll probably eliminate one or two of those and make offers on the remainder. If those don't work out, at least we'll have a great idea of what we want an look some more. It's interesting that four planes seem to meet our price and capability criteria. But, what looks acceptable on paper, may not turn out to be. Turns out on one plane, we know it was foreclosed and previous owner wasn't taking good care of it. That usually leads to several fixes being required compared to an actively flown plane with a good owner. So, we'd ask for a discount on that.
One is 200 hours from needing hots. No sense in flying a year and opening up later to find a problem. So, we're on a track to ask for hots and have current owner fix any problems. We have a long time turbine guy we want present when it's done. Don't know if we'll deduct that from price or adjust it yet. But we're figuring it out. Some have life limited parts. Want to make sure we don't run afoul of that. Lots to look at.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 20:43 

I often see between ISA+15 and ISA+20 up to FL280 where i fly. On the same routes I see ISA+10 at the higher levels that the citations use. I am curious as to how much the warmer temps slow down the citations.

Sorry, I misread your post to be +10 and +15 and elided right over the ISA plus 10.

Is ISA -56 at FL370? Don't have it handy. At -46 which would be +10, my cruise chart shows at FL370 12,500 pound plane (which would be early in the profile) max cruise at 104 N1 (which I used for max cruise before) would be 933 pph; TAS 363. I don't have +15 here. I just have a few tables here. Perhaps Steven can help. He seems to have complete manuals.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 21:10 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
If you want max range then you climb to max altitude which I think is FL430 in the II. Winds will be less and ISA will be more towards standard then at FL370. I don't know why you are looking at FL370 for your LRC range.

You should have an FMS that is calculating fuel at destination. Recognize that your fuel at destination is overstated since your fuel burn will increase as you descend. So if you want 1000 lbs on landing then look for maybe 1200 lbs as your target in cruise.

Once at FL430 and at a stable cruise speed your fuel at destination will tell you if you can make it. If you don't have a happy fuel reserve then pull back the power toward the LRC power. If you can't get your fuel reserve to a good number then you can start planning a fuel stop.

Depending on the day I may file to my fuel stop and then if in cruise and the FMS predicts I have fuel to my destination I change in flight; or sometimes I file for my destination and change to my fuel stop. Depends which I think is more likely.

You can run all the numbers but it is a dynamic situation with ATC routing, weather, winds aloft, and ISA all making it real time deciosn once in flight. As long as I know I have airports to drop in on I just get in the air and see what the plane can do on that day.

A few long range flights in the II and you will find out what it can really do.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 21:15 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510

Sorry, I misread your post to be +10 and +15 and elided right over the ISA plus 10.

Is ISA -56 at FL370? Don't have it handy. At -46 which would be +10, my cruise chart shows at FL370 12,500 pound plane (which would be early in the profile) max cruise at 104 N1 (which I used for max cruise before) would be 933 pph; TAS 363. I don't have +15 here. I just have a few tables here. Perhaps Steven can help. He seems to have complete manuals.

Once you get up around FL400 you will find ISA will drop towards +0. That is another benefit of taking the plane high. You may have ISA +10 at FL370 and ISA +3 or less at FL 430. I'd just plan for FL430 ISA 0 when you need the range.

And if you plan for FL370 and find you can't make it due to higher winds or ISA then planned then just climb to where it works out.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 21:18 

I ran it there because I had complete comparable figures. I don't have a full set of books yet and while I see fuel flow is less up there, I couldn't directly compare. When I get full books, I'll certainly follow your advise. The numbers I have don't show performance at FL430 until the plane gets down to 11,000 pounds.

Reply to topic  [ 4188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 280  Next