banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 20:10 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 280  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the Citation II
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 08:23 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Yes CBX7, had to look it up, never heard of it. 4000ft I hope you were light.

Username Protected wrote:
I will say it is a lot of work being captain. Especially for an international trip. And especially when it comes to hearding cats. Customs for 8 guys isn’t simple. Especially when times and who is going keeps changing. Coordinating quick turns, departing mountain airports at night (pitch black night). He was driving the runway in Tumbler Ridge making sure there were no bears on the runway. It was a thing of beauty.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 08:27 

Post Likes: +6970
Very - enough fuel plus reserve to hop to Prince George and gas up.

Plane performed per the book.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 21:24 

Post Likes: +1058
Aircraft: V35
Landing the Citation II at Loraine County ahead of thunderstorms

[youtube]https://youtu.be/TljURbHKhDs[/youtube]

Neato! You in the right seat?

I recently started flying the 441. Makes me feel like I am flying a Citation. :D

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 23:11 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Landing the Citation II at Loraine County ahead of thunderstorms

[youtube]https://youtu.be/TljURbHKhDs[/youtube]

Neato! You in the right seat?

I recently started flying the 441. Makes me feel like I am flying a Citation. :D

Just with more noise and vibration!

No..I am left seat. SP. just a non pilot buddy sitting in the right seat.
"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 17:30 

WWW  Profile

Pretty rough today Indy. Departed KUMP (Indy Metro). As I was turned North a vector was provided to go between two cells. Probably 15 miles apart. Looked good on radar. I was IMC until I broke out around 13,000. There was a band of green rain showers on the radar in front of me. The same showers contoured to red further east. Looked up at the clouds that were creating this precipitation and decided to turn west to give me a little more room. I decided to fly through a tcu that was topping out around 18k. About 3 miles in diameter. All hell broke loose as soon as I entered. Every thing not tied down was flying around the cabin. I was fully strapped in but my chin nearly hit my knee. My pax banged her head in the aft seat due to a non snugged belt. 5 lb POH and other such docs became projectiles inside the cabin.

30 seconds later it was smooth.

Wonder what it would have been like if I hadn’t avoided the 40ker in front of me?

This picture is about an hour old. It wasn’t quite as bad when it was North of Metro. Wider gap too.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

"Jet Elite"

Last edited on 25 Aug 2018, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 19:54 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
Pretty rough today Indy. Departed KUMP (Indy Metro). As I was turned North a vector was provided to go between two cells. Probably 15 miles apart. Looked good on radar. I was IMC until I broke out around 13,000. There was a band of green rain showers on the radar in front of me. The same showers contoured to red further east. Looked up at the clouds that were creating this precipitation and decided to turn west to give me a little more room. I decided to fly through a tcu that was topping out around 18k. About 3 miles in diameter. All hell broke loose as soon as I entered. Every thing not tied down was flying around the cabin. I was fully strapped in but my chin nearly hit my knee. My pax banged her head in the aft seat due to a non snugged belt. 5 lb POH and other such docs became projectiles inside the cabin.

Wonder what it would have been like if I hadn’t avoided the 40ker in front of me.

This picture is about an hour old. It wasn’t quite as bad when it was North of Metro. Wider gap too.

Down here (Florida) most of us don’t go near any tcu or cu. rain or no rain.Not long ago there was a trail of us heading south and ATC put us , including regional iron going to KGNV, thru a gap 5 miles wide with a ceiling at about 2400’. Interesting scenario really. Because at night we don’t (correct me if I’m wrong) the tech to see these suckers except with the eyeballs. We can see the obvious rain, sure, but not the knock your teeth out cu. interesting to watch flightaware after dark; GA flights pretty much shut down it seems. Although if you’re high enough to be over it you can pretty much make out the holes; at least over a city.

This time of the year during the day we’ve been saturated with tcu, cu , cells. The other day the field was 3/4 surrounded. Just go in where there’s an opening.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 19:58 

Wonder what it would have been like if I hadn’t avoided the 40ker in front of me.

That sounds exactly like my encounter in the Navajo. Later I figured out the little cell (14k) I flew through was feeding a line. It got my attention. :bugeye: Glad it all worked out. In my Bonanza, the speed brakes kill lift and instantly cut turb dramatically. I wonder how they would do in the Citation.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 20:10 

Post Likes: +860
Aircraft: PA12

That sounds exactly like my encounter in the Navajo. Later I figured out the little cell (14k) I flew through was feeding a line. It got my attention. :bugeye: Glad it all worked out. In my Bonanza, the speed brakes kill lift and instantly cut turb dramatically. I wonder how they would do in the Citation.

That’s a really good idea Jesse. I might have to try that in the 175. Dial back the speed about 30kts and pull the boards before entering a known bumpy cloud. I’ll either be a hero or get my hand slapped. Either way will be interesting to try.
8/17 CL65
3/17 CE500

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 20:13 

Its awesome in the Bo. You can get in some really choppy air and take all the bite out of it with the push of a button. If there was a chance to accumulate ice, I wouldn’t do it. In Mark’s situation I may have grabbed the boards to see how it worked.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 21:26 

Post Likes: +185
Aircraft: KA F90, Premier 1A
Every flight is a learning experience. That’s an interesting idea about the speed brakes.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 21:30 

WWW  Profile

Would have been a tad tough activating the speedbrake switch in the moment.

I will say as bad as it was the aircraft felt pretty solid. Probably weighed 12,500. I know the Twin Cessna would have felt far less solid.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 02:42 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
Watching flightaware tonight even the 320’s were ducking under the layers holding mild to moderate precipitation to get into the Tampa area.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 09:25 

Post Likes: +486
Aircraft: C90
I want to learn more about the use of speed brakes in cruise to combat rough air. Only use mine when I am trying to quickly get down.

Would therefore appreciate hearing more from Jesse and others on this subject. Take me through process including power settings, with/without AP use, etc.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 09:40 

Typically, the brakes don’t have limitations. I extend and retract as necessary when encountering turb. Turbulence is nothing more than air parcels mixing at different rates as you transition. Killing the lift on the wing immediately reduces the impact of the change in lift. In the Bonanza, they have the added benefit of eliminating yaw.

I also use them in mountain waves at the top of the IAS change to eliminate the need for power changes. When flying near storms, sudden uprafts that spike the VSI can be rendered less effective by popping the boards.

Increased drag will of course cause less cooling air and prolonged use will require power changes, but I have never needed them for that long.

Its a great tool. We need a thread on their value as they are often overlooked, or considered a crutch. In a single, they have MANY benefits that are not discussed.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 15:49 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
Typically, the brakes don’t have limitations. .

In the 525 series we can’t operate unless below 85% N2, that different in the 550s?

My grumpy mentor pilot made me shout the beers if I used them...

Andrew

Last edited on 27 Aug 2018, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 4188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 280  Next