banner
banner

29 Mar 2024, 09:37 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 280  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Flying the Citation II
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 19:59 

Post Likes: +588
Aircraft: V35A, B300
The requirement is only coming from southern border to stop. So anywhere from north is good. May come in handy if you are flying Astra some day from Iceland or other country.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 21:48 

Post Likes: +181
Aircraft: Mooney Acclaim
Username Protected wrote:
Got a flight tomorrow from KSAW to KDTW. Calling for light freezing drizzle at departure. Tops not very high. It will be coming from a heated hangar. Would it be smart to deice with type 1 glycol prior to taxi? I figure that keeps me resistant to freezing drizzle adhering for the taxi.

What say you?

I keep a backpack garden sprayer filled with excess, contaminated TKS fluid for a quick, cheap de-ice. A good coating will get One to the runway free of ice, barring extended hold-for-release times.

I have probably 20 gallons left. The drum got contaminated with drywall dust when we finished the hangar interior last year, so it's no good in a plane. It is fine in a bug sprayer and free to a good home if you'd like to pick it up in the west Chicago burbs (LL10). Pm me for details.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 22:26 

Post Likes: +702
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Your welcome Mark, I was a bit pissed that your ramp fee was only $160 vs $106 for the TBM. I convinced the desk guy to charge you more next time.
:D

BT strikes again! On a trip with the rocker. Finally got Jesse J to do a trip with me. We are in Kitchener Ontario. Flight after show is to KVNY. Six hours. Fuel stop and Customs. Out of the the blue, in walks BT Mark Bourdon. I knew that TBM in the ramp looked familiar.

Mark learns about our plan to stop in Buffalo. He explains us that no overflight permit is needed in you are coming from Canada. Know we are CYKF to KICT and KICT to KVNY vs CYKF to KBUF to KSLN to KVNY Huge!

Thanks Mark!

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 22:39 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10963
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
BT strikes again! On a trip with the rocker. Finally got Jesse J to do a trip with me. We are in Kitchener Ontario. Flight after show is to KVNY. Six hours. Fuel stop and Customs. Out of the the blue, in walks BT Mark Bourdon. I knew that TBM in the ramp looked familiar.

Mark learns about our plan to stop in Buffalo. He explains us that no overflight permit is needed in you are coming from Canada. Know we are CYKF to KICT and KICT to KVNY vs CYKF to KBUF to KSLN to KVNY Huge!

Thanks Mark!

Happy to pay you instead for your good advice!

Edit: damn I need to proof my posts better. :oops:
"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 01:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5522
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Out of the blue, in walks BT Mark Bourdon. I knew that TBM on the ramp looked familiar.

We need a BT app, one that geo-senses where nearest member is. That way you can land somewhere where you've never been, turn the app on and boom! - it shows if there are any members near on a map. A bit like Grindr.. :coffee: :cross: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 13:02 

WWW  Profile

A bit like Grindr.. :coffee: :cross: :thumbup:

The hell you say! :lol:
"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 21:39 

WWW  Profile

As mentioned Jesse J and I flew a trip Friday and Saturday with the Rocker. The trip was KDTW-CYKF initially. We landed and ran into Mark B. The plan was to eat, talk flying and then go to our hotel rooms and get some sleep prior to an overnight flight. I got a couple hours sleep but it’s hard given we are flying 2000 miles. Plus we have to clear Customs and, then mid sleep I get a message that we picked up a new passenger. (Richie S from Bon Jovi). Uhhhh. Ok. Changes in the eapis. Call Customs. Wichita Customs was pretty good. Guy gave me his cell phone and said call with updates. He wanted to know why we were landing at 3am. I told him who our pax were and it was smooth sailing. Fan boy. So glad he wasn’t a millennial :lol:

I thought the weather was mostly a wintery mix so I wasn’t too obsessed with it and then Jesse sends me the attached picture showing a convective SIGMET. Hmmm. So now sleep is out of the question. That’s ok. I can sleep at cruise. Jesse is a young guy. He’s got my back. Of course I didn’t as that would be wrong.

We pulled the plane into the hangar and did an extended preflight. Pax show up an hour late, I text the Customs guy and we launch into the Convecrive SIGMET area. Using radar, nexrad FSI-B, ATC etc and the power of the turbine we have a stress free trip through the area.

Winds are hellacious. 159kts on the nose at one point. Plus we are in the clouds for portions of trip at FL320. This means engine heat which limits our power. Ground speeds are 200-230. I wake up after a short snooze to learn several things. 1) Jesse has done the math and he is concerned about fuel. 2) We have more weather to deal with and 3);that the only other reachable Customs airport is KMCI and the visibility is 1/4 mile.

Important lesson. We hamstrung ourselves by choosing the best Airport (KICT) to clear Customs but also one that doesn’t give us a lot of outs. What is our alternate given this Customs obligation? Didn’t think that one through enough. I explain to Jesse that the fuel computer isn’t completely accurate. Usually overstates fuel consumption by 300 lbs. It is showing 649 lbs on landing. We want 800. We determine we will be ok. Well I do anyway. :cross:

We see winds are 40 knots less at 240. We get a descent and run in to very turbulent air...clouds and ice too. Back up we go. Burning more fuel. Dumb idea.

We arrive at KICT and 40 knot gusts. Jesse reminds me that we need to adjust Vref by half the gust speed. Uhhhh. Ya. I knew that. :oops: We shoot a GPS in actual.

Customs and fuel a breeze. We landed with 816 lbs. The fuel gauges suggested 1000lbs. The toalizer siuggested 615. So right in the middle. Noted. At 430am we launch for our 2nd fuel stop. Scottsdale. We can’t make KVNY due to winds and fuel. Just tedious as hell from 430 to 7am plus time change. Jesse makes his first landing in a jet. I had no fear and he aced it.

45 minutes later we are refueled and launching on our third leg KSDL to KVNY. This is Jesse's leg. ATC obliges by giving us the THRNE2 RNAV arrival. See below. Ole Jesse was a busy mofo for sho. Hehe.

After another fine landing. We kicked our pax out. Switched seats and made our fourth leg KVNY to KSDL. Also pretty busy. It was Jesse’s first left seat leg. I tried to be the best first officer I could be. It’s hard work. We managed to do just fine despite a lack of sleep.

What would a post be from me without a video. Here is jesses first departure and landing from left seat. Total time was 11 hours. Plus he is signed off as a Citation SIC. And he got paid. Hung out with rock stars and had a good steak. Not a bad 24 hours.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/oMYtnj4uW10[/youtube]

"Jet Elite"

Last edited on 18 Nov 2017, 23:42, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 22:16 

Post Likes: +6969
This was like a full recurrent in 30 hours on the clock.

I spent the airline flight to Detroit studying the operating handbook.

Weather, international, customs, quick ops, night, long legs on backside of clock, fuel planning, high profile pax, arrivals, DPs, CRM, left and right seat, flying pilot and SIC...

I did this trip hoping to keep myself sharp. It was all that and more. The transition was comfortable as the switchology and systems follow my 421C experience. Mark was extremely generous giving me legs and proving his trust by pretending to sleep :D

I loved it.

Mark told me it was easy to fly and it was. He also told me the challenge is the speed at which it all happens, and it was. I blew one segment on the arrival but caught it before anyone noticed.

Thanks for ruining me! Seriously, there will definitely be more turbine time in my future. It has also been 13 years since I was an “employee” serving customers. I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 23:35 

Post Likes: +937
Looks like you guys had an awesome, yet hard work day!

Quote:
Winds are hellacious. 159kts on the nose at one point. Plus we are in the clouds for portions of trip at FL320.

What about up high? Were the winds any better? For wind, wx, ice, turbulence, I usually first try going higher unless there are recent pireps contrary to my hopes.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 23:40 

WWW  Profile

Looks like you guys had an awesome, yet hard work day!

Quote:
Winds are hellacious. 159kts on the nose at one point. Plus we are in the clouds for portions of trip at FL320.

What about up high? Were the winds any better? For wind, wx, ice, turbulence, I usually first try going higher unless there are recent pireps contrary to my hopes.

They were 50 something at FL450.

Otherwise it was uniformly bad.

SPX can’t get here soon enough.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 23:43 

Post Likes: +185
Aircraft: KA F90, Premier 1A
Sounds like a loooong day of flying. I am exhausted just reading it. Good job.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 23:54 

Post Likes: +6969
Skew T with winds over Wichita.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 23:59 

Post Likes: +3
Aircraft: Baron 55

What about up high? Were the winds any better? For wind, wx, ice, turbulence, I usually first try going higher unless there are recent pireps contrary to my hopes.[/quote]

They were 50 something at FL450.

Otherwise it was uniformly bad.

SPX can’t get here soon enough.[/quote]

What a GREAT thread!!! I’m so envious that you’re out there flying a state of the art jet as a private pilot. Only can dream of that!!

What’s an SPX?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 00:34 

Post Likes: +937
Astra SPX

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 09:09 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
:thumbup: gotta love it! Thanks for the PIREP!

Reply to topic  [ 4188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 280  Next