banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 11:17 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Mitsubishi MU-2
PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 18:00 

Post Likes: +4406
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
My problem with Garrett’s is the pilots who start up and sit for ten minutes programming Avionic’s. If they would just taxi right away it would help.

Some 690’s and 441’s might be ok? But never MU-2’s

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 18:15 

Post Likes: +2503
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Username Protected wrote:
My problem with Garrett’s is the pilots who start up and sit for ten minutes programming Avionic’s. If they would just taxi right away it would help.

Some avionics require the airplane to be stationary for a certain period of time. I can't remember if it was 90 seconds or two minutes minimum on the Megitt system we had in the 441.

The ground clearance button is essential in any airplane of that class... and a smart pilot that uses it...

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 18:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4410
Aircraft: B200, 500B
re: starting MU-2s and being a good neighbor

So if I get an MU-2...I'll have my choice of two shared hangars. Both are managed by the FBO and they'll pull me out each time.

One is right at the main ramp. It's where most people like to go - see and be seen, right in the middle of stuff, and your pax get to see the brass & glass of the new FBO.

The other is east BF, and I'd be by myself. I was there for a while and really liked it - I had my own gate, nobody was around, and I could sit for as long as I wanted with engines running and not piss off anyone. They recently moved the B200 from the BF hangar to the main hangar.

I've asked to go back to the BF hangar, but I mentioned it'll be an MU-2 and not the B200. The FBO manager says he isn't willing to drag the start cart to hell and back for every start. I don't use a start cart on the B200. Starts are free at the main hangar.

So if it was your plane - would you stay on the main ramp with free starts and be noisy, or go to the remote hangar with no neighbors and spend more on batteries?

Last edited on 30 May 2023, 19:11, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 18:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3552
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z

SO if I get an MU-2...I'll have my choice of two shared hangars. Both are managed by the FBO and they'll pull me out each time.

One if right at the main ramp. It's where most people like to go - see and be seen, right in the middle of stuff, and your pax get so see the brass & glass of the new FBO.

The other is east BF, and I'd be by myself. I was there for a while and really liked it - I had my own gate, nobody was around, and I could sit for as long as I wanted with engines running and no piss off anyone. They recently moved the B200 from the BF hangar to the main hangar.

I've asked to go back to the BF hangar, but I mentioned it'll be an MU-2 and not the B200. The FBO manager says isn't willing to drag the start cart to hell and back for every start. I don't use a start on the B200. Starts are free.

So if it was your plane - would you stay on the main ramp with free starts and be noisy, or go to the remote hangar with no neighbors and spend more on batteries?

I would want good new Concorde Batteries and be on my own.

Got to have good batteries. The starts are trying on the Mu2 at times, it isn't a no-brainer like a PT6 and you don't want to be battling weak batteries.
TJ

C: 602-628-2701

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 18:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +474
Company: Benjamin Law Firm
Aircraft: Meridian

Some avionics require the airplane to be stationary for a certain period of time. I can't remember if it was 90 seconds or two minutes minimum on the Megitt system we had in the 441.

The ground clearance button is essential in any airplane of that class... and a smart pilot that uses it...

Meggitts in my Meridian take 180 seconds to load. Don’t cheat either or it resets!

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 20:58 

Post Likes: +130
Aircraft: MU-2F
Jim, spend money on Battery Minders. I use them 100% of the time at home and always do battery starts. Cart starts are free at the FBO but I have never used one, plane starts fine and cool with the batteries topped up with the Battery Minder. I do try to limit my time on the ramp, but modern avionics do take time to boot up. Also on an MU2 you need to do a high speed governor check on the first flight of the day, plus get the props off the locks, and that does take a minute or two. Being able to be away from others would be a plus in my opinion.

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 21:52 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
Jim, spend money on Battery Minders. I use them 100% of the time at home and always do battery starts. Cart starts are free at the FBO but I have never used one, plane starts fine and cool with the batteries topped up with the Battery Minder. I do try to limit my time on the ramp, but modern avionics do take time to boot up. Also on an MU2 you need to do a high speed governor check on the first flight of the day, plus get the props off the locks, and that does take a minute or two. Being able to be away from others would be a plus in my opinion.

Overspeed governor checks are still being taught?

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 23:03 

Post Likes: +65
Aircraft: C525, AC90
What’s the over speed governor again? :bugeye:
O.k. I did it once, per the book and once in training.
I comply with the Honeywell TPE331 section 6.2 instructions.

I know a guy out of Naples :D that knows a guy out of Dayton OH with combined 50 plus years TPE331 knowledge and they both suggest the Honeywell guidelines are fine.

…” AND EVERY 300 FLIGHT HOURS FOR THE WOODWARD AND BENDIX FUEL CONTROL SYSTEMS, PRIOR TO EACH FLIGHT WHEN AIR STARTS ARE TO BE INTENTIONALLY MADE, IF THERE IS ANY INDICATION OF A MALFUNCTION, OR WHEN ANY MAINTENANCE OR ADJUSTMENTS INVOLVING THE ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM HAVE BEEN PERFORMED.

But if it’s in the AFM, then go for it.

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 23:23 

Post Likes: +448
Aircraft: F35

So if I get an MU-2...I'll have my choice of two shared hangars. Both are managed by the FBO and they'll pull me out each time.

One is right at the main ramp. It's where most people like to go - see and be seen, right in the middle of stuff, and your pax get to see the brass & glass of the new FBO.

The other is east BF, and I'd be by myself. I was there for a while and really liked it - I had my own gate, nobody was around, and I could sit for as long as I wanted with engines running and not piss off anyone. They recently moved the B200 from the BF hangar to the main hangar.

I've asked to go back to the BF hangar, but I mentioned it'll be an MU-2 and not the B200. The FBO manager says he isn't willing to drag the start cart to hell and back for every start. I don't use a start cart on the B200. Starts are free at the main hangar.

If you are asking for opinions here's mine: while it's noble to be considerate to neighbors, I'd go with the main hangar and take advantage of the start cart.

I also find it incredulous that people would complain about airplane noise...at an airport. WTF.

In other news...water is wet.

PostPosted: 30 May 2023, 23:56 

Post Likes: +3082
I flew some TPE331 planes

They are very quite, just not from the outside and in front while on the ground, as a pilot that makes it a no care from me lol

Para/series start is cool tech, as long as you don’t let one battery get too weak

PostPosted: 31 May 2023, 00:18 

Post Likes: +1278
Aircraft: F8L Falco
IIRC part of the reason MU-2s don't taxi immediately after engine start has to do with a minimum oil temp limitation before setting the props in a taxi configuration. (aka. coming off the locks)

Having flown various MU-2 models, I always felt sorry for the line personnel waiting for me to taxi, especially in a 4 blade model; I think those were the loudest. But nothing like the whine of a 2 or 4 RR Darts.

George

PostPosted: 31 May 2023, 08:23 

Post Likes: +311
I think oil only needs to be warmed up for overspeed governor checks. If you’re skipping those then off the locks you go. The F model seems to taxi with blade angle alone. There’s no change in rpm, so I don’t think you need to wait for oil to warm

PostPosted: 31 May 2023, 10:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3552
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z

Are you not a fan of the OSG?
I did it on ours every month or three when nobody was around.
C: 602-628-2701

PostPosted: 31 May 2023, 14:31 

Post Likes: +269
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
Honeywell told me the OSG check prior to first flight is a carry-over from the old units that had high failure rates. The new ones don’t. And there really isn’t any increased risk for the first flight of the day compared to any other leg, so I’ve always thought this was strange. I have set my G430’s to remind me about every 20 flight hours.
Agreed on battery starts. I always use Battery Minders and Tanis block heaters. Never use a GPU mostly because the airports I go to don’t have them. Concordes seem to go 5 to 7 years with Minders.
You can come off the locks at 96% so you can taxi without waiting for 50deg C oil. But yes, if you are going to do an OSG test you need to wait.
On the ground com switch, I’m not sure that would help much because you still need to have the avionics off when you start. After start you need to program the box and leave. I have my typical flights saved as routes so it only takes a few button pushes to activate.
It struck me that in the MU-2 (compared to my Aerostar) most of the “run-up” testing is actually accomplished prior to start.
And yes, the are loud…it’s the sound of awesomeness! :D

PostPosted: 31 May 2023, 15:11 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST

Are you not a fan of the OSG?
I did it on ours every month or three when nobody was around.

Seems like about 25 years ago at Garrett factory 3 or 5 day pilot/mechanic class in Pheonix they told us that Honeywell engineers don’t recommend it other than post maintenance on the engine. I understand the reasons no one ever changes the POH or OEM checklists on legacy planes so here we are. I’m always looking to simplify so I took them at their word and have done very few since.

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next