banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 10:22 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2022, 14:59 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
Sounds like a Cedar Mills run some Saturday is in order.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2022, 19:58 

Post Likes: +2186
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90
Having waaay to much fun with this little guy!

Attachment:
5D5D3244-334D-468B-AE9A-00B8BD1F98AF.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2022, 11:40 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
Username Protected wrote:
I've done some looking at Stearman's and am trying to get up to speed on those. Looking at what CK calls a "stocker" this weekend.

Tony,
Good luck with your search. I had a bone stock Stearman. My latest Stearman has a few things that make the plane much easier to live with.

The old brakes can cause a lot of problems. They will lock up and there's little you can do about it. Most Stearmans around today have been upgraded to Redline disk brakes. If you're buying one with the old brakes, plan to get them upgraded ASAP.

Another "upgrade" is an electric panel with breakers, radio, transponder and intercom. I had to use a handheld radio and portable intercom with my first Stearman. Those things get old very quickly. My current Stearman has a breaker panel on the right side of the rear cockpit and the radio, intercom and transponder in front of the stick. It also has a tail beacon for ADS-B compliance.

Dave

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2022, 20:57 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Good point about the brakes. I wouldn't even ride in a Stearman without the Redlines.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2022, 07:52 

Post Likes: +2213
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Here’s a short cloud surfing video on my practice session yesterday. I love how the Waco flies. It’s no Pitts but it’s smooth and well balanced.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4MVXpY3qe7s[/youtube]

EDIT: I unfortunately decided to take down this video. I just had a guy on FB send me a message telling me he was going to “report” me to the Houston FSDO because in "his" opinion I was too close to the clouds on my way up/down.

For the flight, I was on flight following, have ADSB traffic all the time, was assigned a block altitude, and crossed a thin layer on my way up to 6000 feet where I usually practice for safety. I guess the only thing I should have asked was for a temporary IFR clearance to get close to the layer as I was climbing and descending. Given what happened with Trent Palmer, I don’t have time to deal with this. I am not a youtuber, not an influencer, and not interested in becoming one.

And then we have "Air-Wagner" and nothing happens....

Sad times we are living in.

Last edited on 29 Apr 2022, 12:50, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2022, 10:33 

Post Likes: +1743
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Beautifully executed sequence, Alex, in an awesome airplane.
For the record, a well-done aileron roll (not ballistic), is a mixture of inputs for aileron, rudder, and elevator that is counterintuitive to the uninitiated pilot. (Most, when the airplane is inverted, will pull on the stick, which turns the maneuver into a split-S that may take them past Vne, or, without enough altitude, get them into the evening news, "without a flight plan".
Flying a correct slow roll is the mark of an accomplished pilot.
I have just returned from the IAC Chapter 36 Hammerfest in Borrego, CA, where I met a bunch of great sticks. The most interesting was a father/15 y/o daughter team flying a Yak 52 with a round Vedeneyev motor. The young lady, a student pilot who beat her dad in the Sportsman level, opined at the awards banquet that hearing a round engine start was like biting into a crisp apple...
I much enjoyed my Great Lakes at the acro meet, but after flying in a friend's S2B, I am hankering for the scalpel-sharp virtues of the Pitts Special.
Best,

Tom

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2022, 11:31 

Thanks for the kind words Tom. The Waco is all about energy management - slow gracious aerobatics is what it’s all about. The Pitts (and of course the Extra et al) perform incredibly well. With the Waco you have to take your time. I love this airplane.

Here is some background on this video. My 16 year old son just did his solo (last weekend) which makes me very proud given he is in boarding school where they are working his butt off and is getting good grades. This, in an age of iPads, smart phones and instant satisfaction, and where we can’t get kids to look out the window, shows a commendable level of passion and dedication that I would like to celebrate. Now some of his friends have expressed an interest in learning to fly. I am also happy to report that of the 10 non-pilots I have taken up for a ride in the Waco, 3 have signed up for flying lessons and 2 more are thinking about it.

We need to inspire and attract more interest in aviation in a world of Trevor Jacobs and other idiots who instead choose to chop up aircraft for fun and clicks on social media.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 03:08 

Post Likes: +1743
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Alex: Congratulations on the solo of your 16-year old son. What a proud dad you must be. Now we have four generations of flying Cats, from El Gran Gato to Gato Chico.
Certainly worth a leather jacket patch featuring four cool alley cats packing heat.
Flying the Waco (and the GL) is a bit like dancing with your spinster aunt at a wedding: Slow, classy moves, and you know she won't pull any fast tricks on you.
Flying the Pitts Special is more like rocking out with that smoking hot stripper downtown: Quick, unpredictable, and prone to pulling the rug from under you at the slightest provocation.
Then there is the matter of landing the Pitts: The best description is that it is a mixture of an orgasm and a near death experience.
As for the FB jack....s: Que se vaya mucho a ya sabes qué!

Un abrazo,

TN

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 13:56 

Thanks Tom - yes all those FB wannabe policemen can go there.

Here is a photo of my grandfather during his solo in a Lincoln Standard in 1923, and my son in 2022... Somewhere in some drawer I have a picture of my Dad soloing at 17 in a Taylorcraft in 1954 but can't find the picture.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 15 May 2022, 10:19 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
I’ve been looking for another biplane for awhile to base in California as the weather is so nice there year round compared to Oklahoma. I considered a variety from homebuilts, Stearman’s, antique Great Lakes and others. But in the end I kept looking at Waco’s. When I was last looking in 2018 I tried to find a F2 but nothing on the market was the quality of build that I wanted. The same problem was true this year. Several pretty planes
on the market but not quite what I was looking for. A Waco friend really made the search harder as he recommended I find a UBF instead
Of the more common QCF. According to what he told me (a Q owner himself) the Q’s had a small vertical fin and there were sometimes issues getting out of spins. That was corrected with the UBF.

I know that story as I have one of the original F3’s which had the same issue. In the case of the 3 Waco brought them back to the factory and converted the tail to the 5 size.

But I digress. Finding a U is difficult because they only made 21 in 1933. And there are 13 on the registry currently. Most are projects. By accident, while looking for something else in my email file I ran across an email from someone who owned a U back in 2018 and had been willing to sell them. I wondered if he had?

An email got a reply that he still had it but had spoken to a broker that very day about listing it! Turns out Scott Wood (premier builder) Had restored the frame and someone else finished it. I went to look and it is very nice. 123 hours on 2014 restoration and OH on the W670 Continental. Beautiful fabric work. 102 inch Ham Standard. And, important to me, a historically accurate restoration. A deal was struck and we close next week. Interestingly, the only hold up was getting on the title company’s closing schedule…

I’ll pick it up end of the month and get it to Rob Lock’s shop in Florida. As soon as he finishes a Stearman build for OSH z there are some things we’ll address on the Waco then I get to fly it to California. Now I really NEED a hangar!

PostPosted: 15 May 2022, 20:14 

Post Likes: +164
Company: EPIC Imaging Consultants LLC
Aircraft: Commander 840
I’ve been looking for another biplane for awhile to base in California as the weather is so nice there year round compared to Oklahoma. I considered a variety from homebuilts, Stearman’s, antique Great Lakes and others. But in the end I kept looking at Waco’s. When I was last looking in 2018 I tried to find a F2 but nothing on the market was the quality of build that I wanted. The same problem was true this year. Several pretty planes
on the market but not quite what I was looking for. A Waco friend really made the search harder as he recommended I find a UBF instead
Of the more common QCF. According to what he told me (a Q owner himself) the Q’s had a small vertical fin and there were sometimes issues getting out of spins. That was corrected with the UBF.

I know that story as I have one of the original F3’s which had the same issue. In the case of the 3 Waco brought them back to the factory and converted the tail to the 5 size.

But I digress. Finding a U is difficult because they only made 21 in 1933. And there are 13 on the registry currently. Most are projects. By accident, while looking for something else in my email file I ran across an email from someone who owned a U back in 2018 and had been willing to sell them. I wondered if he had?

An email got a reply that he still had it but had spoken to a broker that very day about listing it! Turns out Scott Wood (premier builder) Had restored the frame and someone else finished it. I went to look and it is very nice. 123 hours on 2014 restoration and OH on the W670 Continental. Beautiful fabric work. 102 inch Ham Standard. And, important to me, a historically accurate restoration. A deal was struck and we close next week. Interestingly, the only hold up was getting on the title company’s closing schedule…

I’ll pick it up end of the month and get it to Rob Lock’s shop in Florida. As soon as he finishes a Stearman build for OSH z there are some things we’ll address on the Waco then I get to fly it to California. Now I really NEED a hangar!

Absolutely beautiful! :drool:
What are the fundamental differences between this and the UPF-7?

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 05:41 

WWW  Profile

Absolutely beautiful! :drool:
What are the fundamental differences between this and the UPF-7?

Chris,

Waco began the 1930’s with the introduction of the F model which had a different fuselage and wing from the earlier 10 series. The first “F” model was the F 1 of 1930 with outrigger landing gear (similar to the Great Lakes), no engine cowling and a fairly short fuselage. The F2 in 1932 had a slightly longer fuselage, Continental motors, speed rings and a new style of triangular cross braced landing gear. Many consider that the F2 is the best flying/performing of the F models in part due to their power to weight ratio.

The F3 was introduced in 1934 with Continental W670 or Jacob’s L4 engines, still longer fuselage and slightly modified gear. There were only a few made, including my current airplane (a UMF 3) before they recalled them all to the factory to install a larger vertical fin to help with spin recovery. Thus the F 5 was created. The 5 also featured the “bump” cowl. The Waco Classic being manufactured today is based around the YMF 5 model (Y denoting Jacobs engine) but they have lowered the front la ding gear and raised the tail wheel to improve forward visibility and make landing “easier”, increased fuel capacity and over the years other changes including lengthening the fuselage. These changes also added several hundred pounds of weight making hrs higher horsepower of the Jacobs 755 engines at 275-300 horsepower a necessity.

Now - your question - the F7. The 7 was built beginning in 1939 as a response to the request for proposal for a primary trainer from the Army Air Corps. Though Waco didn’t receive ha contract for that they did end up building over 600 F7’s for the Civilian Pilot Training program. The F7 features a much more robust fuselage structure, is larger overall than the F3/5 (or F2), is heavier and has a more robust, wider and lower front gear (increased in width from approximately 5 to 7 feet). Using the same Continental W670 engine as the UBF 2, UMF 3/5 but weighing more it has somewhat lower performance characteristics. The engine in the F7 was also not cowled (though many “restored” planes have a “Bamboo Bomber styled smooth cowl applied). There are a lot more of them in existence today because of the government contract and their post war use as dusters. They are probably the most comfortable, and easiest to get into the front cockpit, for larger modern pilots though the Classic YMF 5 has a much enlarged rear hole in their later planes.

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 13:12 

Very Cool Tony - that is a beautiful aircraft. Congratulations - it would be fun to meet up somewhere on your journey from Florida to California. Keep us posted of the progress.

PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 11:17 

WWW  Profile

You Don’t Need 6 Degrees of Separation in the Antique Airplane World…

My friend Barry, in California,who insisted I should look for a UBF instead of a QCF is friends with Chris, the guy who restored my fuselage and wings. Which we knew about because Rob, the biplane restoration expert, in Florida, who I met while looking at a Stearman, knew the guy who did the fabric and paint on my plane (he also knows Chris, and Barry). He also knows Vaughn, who I am buying a new speed ring from…who’s father owned my plane before Chris got ahold of it. Of course Barry, Rob, Chris and Ron (coming in a minute) all know Dave who built my F3. Andrew, the fellow selling the plane to me had Rob’s son in class in the Navy. Jared, who is Rob’s friend from Texas, who is ferrying the plane from Virginia to Florida for me knows Ron in California, who apparently owns a NorCal airport. Jared called Ron, earlier in the day from when Barry called him, and also before Chris called him, to say “there’s a guy bringing an F2 to Norcal who needs a hangar.

I’m going to a Waco club fly in, in the UMF3, in a few weeks and I’ll be waiting to meet another person or two connected to my new plane and each other somehow…

PostPosted: 21 May 2022, 10:00 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A

…I’ll pick it up end of the month and get it to Rob Lock’s shop in Florida. As soon as he finishes a Stearman build for OSH z there are some things we’ll address on the Waco then I get to fly it to California. Now I really NEED a hangar!

That’s a beautiful aircraft. Congrats!

More pics please…

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next