banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 17:41 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 02:54 

Post Likes: +369
Company: Bellanca Aircraft
Aircraft: 17-30A
Username Protected wrote:
Tony!

Details??
And more pics

I've wanted another Waco since I sold mine a few years ago. I've looked on and off since then but not seriously. I have really missed open cockpit flying. I talked at length with CK a while back and looked for a Stearman too, but not finding the right one I went back to looking at Waco's. I have flown, literally, around the country looking. But a friend had a friend who was going to sell this one eventually so I waited.

The builder is a master craftsman who spent many years and about 9,000 hours restoring this plane. He has done several others. His work is superb. The flight controls feel like they are riding on ball bearings, the paint work is flawless and after 115 hours the engine accessory compartment looks pristine without a drop of oil. I've seen a number of planes restored by John Cournoyer, the Shue's, Rare Aircraft, Centennial and others. This gentleman's work and attention to detail is at least their equal.

It is a 1934 UMF (3 originally, converted to a 5 by the factory in 1934). The UMF is the same airframe as the original YMF (the basis for the modern YMF 5 from Waco Classic) but with Continental engine instead of Jacobs. It is one of 3 on the registry and one of 2 flying. Originally owned by an English actor Brian Aherne it is finished in Aherne's original custom design and colors. I particularly like the red color on the top of the top wing and bottom of the bottom wing. And the checkerboard pattern on the tail is absolutely perfectly done. It's a completely unique design.

I told the builder that it reminds me of my friend Paul McCracken who helped me buy my first two planes. His v tail had a similar scheme on the tail. Twenty six coats of hand rubbed dope.

The engine is an Air Repair overhaul of a Continental W670 engine with Ham Standard ground adjustable prop. The seats are red leather finished in a style reminiscent of Connolly. The radios are contained in an original map case so you can close them off. That done, other than one antennae on the belly, and you are back to 1934.

I spent several hours with the owner/builder and then told him I wanted to buy his airplane and would cherish it as a work of art. I don't think he was actually ready to sell but told me he wanted me to buy it. There was no negotiation on price. I believe we have started what I hope will be a long friendship connected together by this unique aircraft.

My new friend is doing a couple of minor things before we close our transaction and I have tentatively scheduled the flight home from southern California to Oklahoma for mid October. I'll post a thread with photos and details of that adventure when it happens. For now here are a few photos:

So will it be based out of Wiley Post?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 07:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Mike,

That's my current plan although I'd love to find a way to have a hangar on an airport with grass runways.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 22:04 

Post Likes: +384
Aircraft: 1957 Bonanza G35
I flew my new to me S1C Pitts today took a couple of hours taxiing, a few higher speed runs on the runway . I took off and flew then went and mildly played 45 degree climbs 90 degree steep turns, some stalls then came back and after 27bounces, 2 go arounds ( or if I stutter enough. To to to touch and gos. I finally got back on terra firma,

What a fun airplane Gonna go back out tomorrow and see if I can get the bounce count to to 2 or less.
I will post some pics here soon.

Have a guy rebuilding a steerman for 20 years it is absolutely beautiful, blue and yellow can’t wait to see it fly.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 22:34 

Post Likes: +2745
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
:D

I hear you, brother. Sounds like when I was settling into Stearman ownership. Pick an airport where nobody knows you...ha.

I read an article one time by a fellow who had a Pitts. He was out doing touch and goes one evening. When he was putting it back in the hangar a fellow, also proficient in Pitts flying, came up to him. “You know, son, these things are hard enough to land once. It is best not to tempt fate.”

Truer words...

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 09:51 

Post Likes: +77
Aircraft: C-195; N2S-3
Attachment:
9DBB4AF9-999E-40B2-BEEF-C56436D6D520.jpeg
Some years ago I spent spare time one summer hopping rides in a Waco UPF7 and loved it! Didn’t have the time or money back then to own a biplane but it set the stage for me.

Early this year I started shopping and decided a Stearman was the best bet for me. I met CK in Dallas and saw his fine ship and confirmed it! I just closed a deal on a really nice N2S3 Navy Stearman in Dallas. I’m in transition training now - we’re not good friends yet but I think we’re becoming closer. Hope to take it home to Illinois this week so I can give family and friends rides before the snow comes.

Thanks, CK, for the coaching - hope to see you at an event somewhere!

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 10:54 

Post Likes: +4018
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Attachment:
9DBB4AF9-999E-40B2-BEEF-C56436D6D520.jpeg
Some years ago I spent spare time one summer hopping rides in a Waco UPF7 and loved it! Didn’t have the time or money back then to own a biplane but it set the stage for me.

Early this year I started shopping and decided a Stearman was the best bet for me. I met CK in Dallas and saw his fine ship and confirmed it! I just closed a deal on a really nice N2S3 Navy Stearman in Dallas. I’m in transition training now - we’re not good friends yet but I think we’re becoming closer. Hope to take it home to Illinois this week so I can give family and friends rides before the snow comes.

Awesome Coyle! :clap: Tail dragger pilots have an affliction, don’t we.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 11:10 

Great news, Coyle! Lovely color scheme...ha! Here’s a photo of mine right now. Missing it!

:sad:

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 11:49 

Post Likes: +82
Aircraft: Cherokee 180
What a nice thread! A good bit of my 50 years of flying was in Stearmans. Just a delight to fly. In my younger years I held a low level aerobatic waver. Often I’ve been asked if they are hard to fly. Tail wheel is not hard, just a little different. My advice is go get however much dual you need with a seasoned instructor until you feel comfortable. My bet is you guys that can fly a Bonanza well can easily check out in a tail wheel.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 21:56 

Post Likes: +7268
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
And then there is this Waco that performed at Reno today, with a little jet assist.

Attachment:
F66C1658-3DA3-4770-8E36-717DD6561FA5.jpeg

They call it: “Screamin Sasquatch”
http://johnklattairshows.com/#ouraircraft

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 22:01 

Post Likes: +76
Aircraft: PA30, PT13/450, OPA

Coyle,

I’m glad you found a good Navy bird. Hope to see you in Galesburg next year!

M

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 08:04 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Coyle,

That's a nice looking Boeing! :pilot:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 16:48 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
I’m in transition training now - we’re not good friends yet but I think we’re becoming closer.

:rofl:

I like this description Coyle

Stearman is on my bucket list....maybe...someday....after many many more hours in my more docile Citabria.

Here’s to keeping it between the lines

:cheers:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 17:08 

Post Likes: +76
Aircraft: PA30, PT13/450, OPA

Stearman is on my bucket list....maybe...someday....after many many more hours in my more docile Citabria.

Here’s to keeping it between the lines

:cheers:

Brad,

The Stearman has some unique characteristics, but with an experienced instructor, getting checked out isn’t too bad. They’re also very straightforward to own and maintain. Don’t wait too long, or you’ll miss out on some great fun!

Matthew

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 17:20 

Post Likes: +2869
Company: WA Aircraft
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza E33C
My Bücker Jungmann.

Find me at Hicks and we will go for a ride.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 17:52 

My Bücker Jungmann.

Find me at Hicks and we will go for a ride.

Wow. I’m at Hicks quite a bit with my Stearman. I’ve always wanted to see one of those up close. I’ll holler next time I’m headed that way.

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 35  Next