banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 05:51 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 16:33 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
Username Protected wrote:
Gents - I am looking at the purchase of what appears to be a very nice YMF5 Waco. I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience that could share insight and gotchas into these airplanes. We proposed an annual as a prebuy which the owner accepted.

CK - I will keep this in Fort Worth so maybe we can hook up sometime soon. BTW - that is indeed a pretty Stearman.

That would be great fun. Let me know if I can help with the Waco. I used to have a ZPF-7 and loved it. It has been a long winter. Time to get back in the saddle!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 16:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Gents - I am looking at the purchase of what appears to be a very nice YMF5 Waco. I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience that could share insight and gotchas into these airplanes. We proposed an annual as a prebuy which the owner accepted.

CK - I will keep this in Fort Worth so maybe we can hook up sometime soon. BTW - that is indeed a pretty Stearman.

That would be great fun. Let me know if I can help with the Waco. I used to have a ZPF-7 and loved it. It has been a long winter. Time to get back in the saddle!

You are right! I cleaned up some dribble from the floor this morning. My engine doesn't really leak oil, so I think it's a little pi$$ed it hasn't been out for a while...

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 13:41 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
Alex,

I have a 2007 Waco YMF-5C. If I can be of any assistance, shoot me a PM.

They are very cool planes and I've found the factory to be exceptionally helpful. I've talked to experts there with maintenance questions and they are knowledgeable craftsmen, professional, and have a real love of the pieces of functional art they create.

When I was considering the YMF, the previous Waco Aircraft owner invited me for a tour and it was well worth the trip. The build process, materials, the craftsmanship, and the craftspeople are very impressive. What the craftsmen create that is beneath the fabric and aluminum skin is mind blowing.

Waco Aircraft continues with constant improvement on the YMF and depending on the model year you may have doors on the wheel pants for easier tire inflation, tailwheel fairings, a grab / roll bar, a 300hp or 275hp Jacobs, etc. Search the website for features by SN.

Ownership of the company changed a couple of years ago and under the new ownership there has been a major and modern expansion of their facilities at Battle Creek. Check out the details on their website, and the expansion includes a restaurant and fuel. They are increasing a sales focus on the European market. My understanding is that the new ownership also has the TC for some Junkers aircraft. The key takeaways for me are that the new owners have capital, growth plans, and a historic / classic aircraft appreciation and focus.

PM me and we can chat.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 12:27 

On one of my trips home a couple of years ago, I went up in my parents’ attic and found my Dad’s old Cal Mil helmet from when he was an ag pilot. The last time it flew was in January of 1984 when he seeded some rye grass for a rancher near Orange Lake, FL. The following month, he sold the operation and took a job with a mining and manufacturing company own the road. Among his many duties there was flying the corporate Baron back and forth to plants his company had in the mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. Accompanying him on a trip when I was home visiting in the early 90’s is in large part responsible for me owning and flying our Baron today. He remains an active pilot today, flying our Cub off the farm in the evenings and watching the sun go down.

The helmet was in pretty bad shape when I got to it - years in the attic had taken their toll on both the edging and on the interior lining. It was also a ‘dummy’ helmet - no internal wiring or anything. The Thrush didn’t have a radio or anything like that.

Back in December, I sent it off to Flighthelmets.com in Easton, MD and asked them to clean out the shell, refurbish the interior and coaming and wire it for sound. Their process was pretty efficient in that they sent me an online menu and I picked the internal components I wanted and paid for them at that time. Then I stuck the order sheet inside the hat and shipped it off to them.

In February, I got a call from them indicating they were completing the work and wondered if I wanted the exterior of the shell sanded and painted so it would appear as new. No way! There was too much flying and too much living in all those scratches, dings, and stains.

It arrived last week. On Sunday, I bundled up and took the Stearman out for an hour. The old “Brain Bucket” (as he used to refer to it) flew again with purpose. Everything worked great. The 1970’s version of my Dad had a little skinnier head, so it is snug, but that isn’t a bad thing in the Stearman; the wind and noise will find any excuse to worm its way in.

Sorry for the long post - this is one of the most sentimental things I have in my possession and I’m delighted for it to begin a new era bucketing a next generation of Lee family brains.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 11 Mar 2021, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 07:42 

Post Likes: +1712
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
In February, I got a call from them indicating they were completing the work and wondered if I wanted the exterior of the shell sanded and painted so it would appear as new. No way! There was too my flying and too much living in all those scratches, dings, and stains.

CK,
I held me breath a bit reading this paragraph until the "No Way" :thumbup:
Mighta disowned you ifin you woulda had your Dad's helmet reincarnated

That helmet is almost as cool as your Stearman....or maybe KoolR

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 07:56 

I might regret this post....here goes.

Does anyone know where the gorgeous light blue and white Stearman lives. It was for sale a couple years ago and I chickened out and bought the Citabria...wuzza guud decision...then.

Wife might frown at me....she has taken a trip in Avanti now and realizes I purchased it
just for her :D

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 08:38 

a 1944 Staggerwing just hit my inbox from Controller.

My current "biplane" (shameless borrowing of term from Tony) is a bit needy so I must continue to drool for a bit longer whilst suffering in Citabria.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 16:24 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
I finally got the Stearman out after it's winter hibernation. It started up like I'd just flown it yesterday. Love those round engines!!!!

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 13:15 

Post Likes: +818
Aircraft: Bonanza 35
What do y’all think about this plane? https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ma ... e=aircraft

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 17:43 

What do y’all think about this plane? https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ma ... e=aircraft

Looks like it could be fun. I’d check on support and parts...not sure how many of these are still around and flying. I’d go into it assuming it would be something you will fly solo or with a kid up front. A stock Stearman has 220 HP and is anemic with two grownups aboard on a warm day. I’d hate to give up 55 hp and try that. No earthly idea what it would be worth. Maybe $60-80k, depending on when it was re-covered etc? Let us know if you take the plunge.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 18:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5705
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
A friend owns one and kept it at a private airport here in NY where two others were located. Back in the 70s, the owner of the field had his heart set on getting a biplane and they found one of these in Trade A Plane. The story goes that they called and asked "Is this a biplane?" and when they found out that it was, they bought it and flew it back. I don't think either of them had any biplane time before that.

There are 20-ish that are still in existence, and there used to be an annual gathering. I know that some of them had Kinner engines for which there is supposedly good parts availability. Some may have had a Warner, though I may be be misremembering that. I see that the one for sale has a starter, which surprised me. I didn't think any of them had an electrical system, and I suspect that this one has just a battery with no generator or alternator.

OTW stands for "Out To Win," and was designed to compete for the same contract as the Stearman. Since it was designed for the military, it's a little overbuilt and sturdy.

I've never flown one, but I've sat in one a couple of times and it is a small cockpit. I'm 6'2" with broad shoulders, and find it very tough to get in and out of. I was going to ask my friend to check me out, but my shins hit the seat pan for the front seat and I couldn't get my toes on the brakes. The tailwheel is free castering and does not lock, and that made me too nervous to try and taxi it.

That strip was about 2600' with trees on both ends. I don't recall the OTWs ever looking like they had trouble climbing out if there with two occupants. The Champs and Cubs were sometimes marginal on hot days. It's not a fast plane, and cruises just a little faster than a Champ.

Last edited on 11 Apr 2021, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 20:55 

Post Likes: +818
Aircraft: Bonanza 35
Thanks for the replies guys.

Eric, I’m about your size, that’s really useful info.

CK, good point about the hp and thanks for providing a price range too!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 09:57 

Looks like it could be fun. I’d check on support and parts...not sure how many of these are still around and flying. I’d go into it assuming it would be something you will fly solo or with a kid up front. A stock Stearman has 220 HP and is anemic with two grownups aboard on a warm day. I’d hate to give up 55 hp and try that. No earthly idea what it would be worth. Maybe $60-80k, depending on when it was re-covered etc? Let us know if you take the plunge.

I'm with CK. I'd be very worried about parts. I think you can buy just about any part needed for a Stearman. I needed a tailwheel part for mine. The vertical stem of the tailwheel slides into a tube. If you've got tailwheel steering, the stem is pinned to the tube. If you've got a lockable tailwheel, it's not pinned to the tube. On my airplane, I noticed that right turns weren't as tight as left turns while taxiing. The mechanic found that the hole for the pin in the tube was elongated and the pin was bent. He ordered the new parts, about $100, and had it delivered in a day.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2021, 22:06 

A friend of mine took this photo today. I like the blurred background. It makes the Stearman almost seem fast :peace: :clap: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 09:42 

The Mrs decided to bless me with her presence on the ride to lunch over in Granbury. I dare say she enjoyed it!

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next