banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 10:58 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 18:33 

Post Likes: +540
Aircraft: C560, C340
Me, my Dad's BF's wife, Dad, his BF. Taking his Starduster to the airport. Unfortunately, Dad and Ray have passed.

Attachment:
Starduster.JPG

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 14:32 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
I’ve always been attracted to the beauty of the GLs. I was at the WACO factory in July dropping off my YMF for annual and the factory owned Great Lakes N21GL was there again, and again caught my attention, so this time I asked to sit it it. I’m 6’ 2”, 175 lbs and was curious how I would fit. The aft hole opening was a bit smaller than the YMF but not tight. I believe I was told it was 4” bigger from the original and the windscreen was also modified from original, all to fit modern day humans. My height wasn’t an issue. I was really surprised at the roominess of the cockpit. The opening, while a bit smaller, was of ample entry size and when seated the cockpit is really quite surprisingly roomy, and nicer than I expected. The original GL’s had heel brakes and that’s been replaced with toe brakes now. It was a really nice and ergonomic cockpit. Every flight report I’ve heard or read about the new GLs version has been very complementary regarding handling both in the air and especially on the ground. I think I remember Peter Bowers in previous years describing to me STC improvement to the main gear. When seated in the aft cockpit the view to the front appeared to be quite good and not severely obstructed as in some tail wheel planes, and I was told the view from the front cockpit was even better (may be able to see over the nose). I’m sure WACO could provide a list of STC’d improvements upon request. The GLs look like really cool planes. Maybe next year I’ll ask for a flight…

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 15:38 

Post Likes: +1743
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Alan: You are correct about the toe brakes in the new Waco GL. (I find, possibly along with some mature others on the forum, that heel brakes feel "right". One must recall that the brakes on any biplane must be used with extreme caution, and only when the rudder authority has diminished to almost a trot... Many have mashed either on the heel or on the toe brakes, only to find themselves with an unexpected prop strike, and a big ticket for an engine IRAN.
You stop a fine biplane like you stop a fine horse: Heels down.

Last edited on 02 Jan 2022, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 16:02 

Post Likes: +2213
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
As a reference, the brakes on the new Wacos are extremely well balanced and calibrated. This is something the Waco factory has really done a nice job with, and with proper technique, you can use them to your advantage. As Tom notes, the best thing is to manage your energy well - but if needed, the brakes work really well on the Waco (without mashing them).

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 15:50 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
Username Protected wrote:
Alan: You are correct about the toe brakes in the new Waco GL. (I find, possibly along with some mature others on the forum, that heel brakes feel "right". One must recall that the brakes on any biplane must be used with extreme caution, and only when the rudder authority has diminished to almost a trot... Many have mashed either on the heel or on the toe brakes, only to find themselves with an unexpected prop strike, and a big ticket for an engine IRAN.
You stop a fine biplane like you stop a fine horse: Heels down.

Excellent thoughts Tom. This is from the USN Primary training manual for the Stearman.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2022, 14:45 

I flew to WACO yesterday to pick up a part. Upon arrival there was a discussion going on that I later asked about. It seems that the previous Factory stance was that if you wanted the improvements and features of the New Great Lakes, you needed to buy one. Now the Factory is taking somewhat of a more accommodating attitude and is working with customers to modify and approve some of those improvements on the Vintage Great Lakes. This discussion involved landing gear improvements. Seems to be a good business shift for the new Company owners and good for Vintage Great Lakes owners. Years ago when I was seriously considering a Vintage Great Lakes, being unable to incorporate some of the recent improvements was a stopping point. If you are in that boat, consider calling the Factory to explore the current policy.

Also, at WACO's FBO fuel was a reasonable $4.97 and with a 15 gallon purchase you received a voucher for a free entree at the WACO Kitchen. I had the Salmon and it was great. Add BTL and WACO to your fly to lunch / dinner destinations. What they've done there is pretty cool. As are the biplanes they manufacture.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2022, 20:51 

Post Likes: +1743
Aircraft: B58, C180, GL 2T1A-2
Alan: That is good news; thank you for posting. The first thing I will investigate is obtaining an MT propeller for my GL, as well as
the possibility of a lighter weight Li. battery. All this as part of a weight-reduction program for an already excellent-flying airplane; in the box, or out on a hamburger run.

TN

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2022, 16:58 

What they've done there is pretty cool. As are the biplanes they manufacture.

Tell me about it....

:rofl:

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2022, 23:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1472
Company: Roberts Air Services
Aircraft: G35 / Acroduster
Hey Guys, I just discovered this thread and need to catch up but here is my Acroduster SA750 project. First engine run was last week and the upper wings to be installed next week.

Biplanes Rock and represent the true romance of aviation IMO. Like in the opening scene of 16 Right :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2022, 12:22 

Post Likes: +23
Aircraft: A36TN RV8 PittsS2B
Looking good Robert! On the home stretch.

Not sure if you are a Biplane Forum member, but before you mount the top wing, please consider the solid cabane strut modification. Eliminates the rod ends. It has proven to be a weak spot.
The aileron reverser linkage is another area that is a know problem area. Both have mods that will be much easier to do at this stage of the game.

All the information is on the BP forum. Or, you could call Kendall at Lancaster Aero. He can walk you through all of it.

I did the initial test flying after Kendall’s rebuild on his Duster and have become a fan of them. A nice flying biplane!

Don’t want to come across as a preachy internet guy, all done in the spirit of helping another biplane guy, lol

Ray

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2022, 18:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1472
Company: Roberts Air Services
Aircraft: G35 / Acroduster
Ray,

Wow, that is beautiful! They are such beautiful airplanes, can't wait to get mine flying.

Thanks for the comments and yes, I am familiar with both the mods you mentioned. I have the aileron mod to prevent over centering and know the cabane mod is a good one but I'm not going to do it at this point. I've been at this thing for 12 years, time to get it flying. I'm sure there will be plenty I will want to redo once it's flying and I'll have more available time then.

I was a BPF member for years when Beez ran it and it was great. Then it really seemed to get out of hand and now so full of advertisements. The final straw for me was being preached to about parachutes by guys that have only worn them as seat cushions. A little hard to swallow after 3600 jumps and 12 years as an Instructor.

Thanks again for the kind words and your post is absolutely taken in the helpful and supportive spirit as intended. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2022, 11:52 

Post Likes: +2403
Company: retired corporate mostly
Aircraft: 1956 Champion 7EC
Quote:
(I find, possibly along with some mature others on the forum, that heel brakes feel "right".

Now "mature", but even when younger I flew a newer Citabria, and thought the toe brakes were awkward. For some reason they were great in a Cessna 188...

soloed in a land of Superhomers/1959 Cessna 150, retired with Proline 21/ CJ4.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2022, 20:54 

Quote:
(I find, possibly along with some mature others on the forum, that heel brakes feel "right".

Now "mature", but even when younger I flew a newer Citabria, and thought the toe brakes were awkward. For some reason they were great in a Cessna 188...

I've found that heel brakes are sized and placed differently for each make and model, and if heel brakes are associated with a fixed seat and a vintage sized cockpit then whether they are liked or are a good fit is probably heavily influenced by the pilot's dimensions, height and size. Small vintage sized cockpits for small vintage sized people works.

I think if you are either holding the plane fixed for run up or spiking one heel brake to kick the tail out perhaps anyone can find they can work with heel brakes. The heel has shortcomings for modulation and less fine control for most people, however that may be mitigated by the reality that vintage brakes may not require modulation as they may only suggest to the plane to slow down even when vigorously applied. A heel brake is unusable at full rudder deflection. If it's the only plane you fly, the muscle memory without having to think about it can be established without having to override the toe brake instinct if that's the norm for you. People seem to have interest in converting heel brakes to toe brakes and generally the market views it as a plus; I've not seen any kits or mods to make the opposite conversion.

Pros and cons and also individual preferences for everything.

But I think there's some good reasons toe brakes are pretty ubiquitous.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 13:14 

What they've done there is pretty cool. As are the biplanes they manufacture.

Tell me about it....

:rofl:

Alex, that's beautiful. How are you enjoying it, and what are your thoughts on the CS prop? And what's the cat/moon graphic on the tail...?

(Had to include a pic of the weathervane) :pilot:

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 21:28 

Alex, that's beautiful. How are you enjoying it, and what are your thoughts on the CS prop? And what's the cat/moon graphic on the tail...?

(Had to include a pic of the weathervane) :pilot:

I like your weathervane! I am thoroughly enjoying the Waco. Since I keep it in Houston (KSGR), I get to fly it year round which is nice. I also like the CS prop quite a bit especially for aerobatics - I have not flown a Waco with a wooden prop so don’t have a frame of reference to compare with though.

Regarding the tail logo, my grandfather and father were known as “El Gato” and “Gatito” in their flying years and used a similar logo on various aircraft including the Davis I’ve slowly been restoring (which has been in the family since 1929).

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next