banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 22:18 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2023, 16:04 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
That's gorgeous, Tony. Have fun getting to know that one!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2023, 17:55 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Tony,
Educate me, you were able to repaint the existing painted fabric on the F2? If so what is the process? Same colors as original?
chuck

Edit 1: Beautiful, absolutely gorgeous.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2023, 10:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Username Protected wrote:
Tony,
Educate me, you were able to repaint the existing painted fabric on the F2? If so what is the process? Same colors as original?
chuck

Edit 1: Beautiful, absolutely gorgeous.

Hi Chuck,

In a word yes. Rob Lock pulled the wings, sanded them (by hand) down to the original silver paint layer then painted two coats of silver back on the wings. Then they went to Neal Butterworth's paint shop for the gloss paint coat. The forward N strut on the right side had a lot of abrasion from salt air. Oddly, the other struts didn't really show that. But we pulled all the struts off sanded them down and repainted so they would all match.

We did stay with the same color silver. That was a common wing color for Waco who always painted the wings silver unless the customer had a special request.

There were some missing metal covers in the upper wrings where the flying wires connect and Rob fabricated replacements and Neal painted. Neal also painted the sticks which were bare metal. Finally Jamie Lyons ceramic coated everything.

Jamie Lyons is responsible for the fuselage. Originally, the fuselage was painted in a gloss finish while the wings were matte. When repainted the wings were glossy. Jamie polished the paint on the fuselage and then ceramic coated them and now the gloss is uniform.

Jamie also polished the speed ring, prop, exhaust, and other metal bright work. Rob carefully polished the ignition loom and other engine parts. He does incredible work. He has also polished my F3 and ceramic coated it. There were some gas stains in the lower wings that I could never get out of the dope finish but he did and they look brand new. He's a master at his craft. I have a couple of projects I have asked him to do but I'm going to have to wait a couple of years as he is now in California polishing a Constellation! After that he's got 30-40 planes to work on for Walt Bowe.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 22:16 

Post Likes: +361
Aircraft: Whatever I can rent
For those that haven't seen it, a cool video on the Lindbergh Brunner-Winkle Bird
[youtube]https://youtu.be/b7o3aRd8bbc[/youtube]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 22:45 

WWW  Profile

Dewey Davenport has an interesting Youtjbe channel and there is a video on it of Andrew ferrying the Lindbergh plane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gNxhEJM2Yo

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2023, 09:06 

WWW  Profile

Attended Sun N Fun with both the UBF2 and UMF3 three this week. The weather was great and met some nice people including Jack Pelton and Jim Busha with the EAA. We (several Oklahoma friends and one from Texas we picked up en route) flew to Winter Haven in my fast biplane (Piaggio Avanti) and spent an afternoon cleaning the slow ones at Rob Lock's hangar and flying in the pattern to knock off some (not all) of the rust.

After the planes were judged on Wednesday (UBF 2 was named Silver Age Champion) Jared Calvert and I flew up to Kevin Kimball's to drop the F2 off so Kevin can make a bit more rudder pedal room. Saw Kermit Week's Lockheed Vega project again which is an amazing project: https://jkeworks.com/.

Here are some photos of the planes getting ready to go, being judged, taxing out, one of me flying the UMF 3 taken by Jared flying the UBF 2 and one of the F3 at Kimball's.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2023, 14:09 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
Awesome, Tony. If they make a stop in Texas, let me know. I’d love to see one or both.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2023, 00:25 

Post Likes: +2214
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Beautiful aeroplanes Tony. Do let us know if you swing by Texas.

PostPosted: 02 May 2023, 11:40 

WWW  Profile

Somewhere along the way in the last year or so I decided it would be neat to collect the entire series of Waco F models. Or at least the major ones.

Waco came out with the first F model in 1930. It was powered by a variety of engines including by Menasco, Kinner, Warner so they were known as MNF, KNF, INF and RNF depending on the engine installed. In 1932 they came out with the "F2" models including the famous QCF2 and the improved UBF2 of 1933 (which I have). In 1934 they introduced a still bigger airplane called the F3. These where powered by Continental (UMF) and Jacobs (YMF). Then 1935 came and the UMF/YMF 5 was introduced. Yes, there were some 6's but most went to South America. In 1937 the final variant the F7 model (UPF7, ZPF7) were introduced and built in the largest numbers, primarily for the Civilian Pilot Training Program.

None of these airplanes was made in large numbers except the F7 series. Most had fewer than 20 built and there are fewer still on the registry with an even smaller number (less than the fingers on one hand) still flying.

My UBF2 is finished and my UMF3 will be by OSH this year. I've been on the hunt for a F5 for awhile as they are harder to find than the RNF/INF version and certainly the F7's of which there are dozens flying.

Today I closed on a YMF 5 project located in San Diego. It is a very complete project with many of its original parts. It last flew in the 1950's as a duster. I expect it will take about 3 years to restore and it will certainly cost more to do that than it would to buy one of the tiny number now flying but it will add to the survivors and be fun to do.

This was an interesting find because I was already talking to a gentleman who owns a project that he used to fly. Someone else was standing in line in front of me to buy it so it was not a sure thing. I made an offer on a UMF 5 recently that is in an estate but the heirs don't yet understand what they have and what it's worth. This project was formerly owned by a friend of mine who bought it from an estate of a man who helped him when he was building his own F5 and so I know it is very complete. The young man I bought it from had a change in priorities (brand new daughter!) but has become a new friend and has been very helpful in getting it organized.

Hopefully, I'll eventually find a nice F7 and an RNF and be finished with this quest in a few years while I'm still able to fly them...

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 02 May 2023, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2023, 01:05 

WWW  Profile

A friend sent this to me the other day and I thought I'd share. Its a neat story:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DreamFlightsOrg

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2023, 15:09 

WWW  Profile

Here’s a couple of my planes over OSH:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvKzBQWA7kj/

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 22:59 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Finally got the hangar rash repaired on Stearman 88. The moral of the story is to not automatically trust people who you think know how to handle airplanes based on their history. Brief the operation and emphasize what their individual responsibilities will be and where you’re expecting the, to look.

Jeremy and Brian at Vintage Aero down in Sandy Oregon are master craftsmen, even a small rib repair was treated with a lot of care and attention. I’d recommend them for anybody looking to contract with a rebuild shop that has antique, wood airplane skills. They are craftsmen.

Also, a shoutout to the outstanding FAA folks in Hillsborough that made obtaining a SFP for each leg as painless and as easy as possible. Ian & Kieth were super responsive and helpful. Thanks, fellas!

As always, the gang at Ladd Gardner had my back - thanks, Bob!

My “other Boeing” is now finishing its annual and I’m looking forward to a few months of PNW acro with takeoffs and landings galore. Parachutes are headed to the rigger tomorrow. If any of y’all are near Vancoiver, drop me a line.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 23:01 

The mighty Columbia.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 23:05 

Jeremy & Brian - rock stars.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2023, 08:37 

WWW  Profile

I didn't have any intention of buying another plane at Airventure. But during a break from the nearly constant cleaning of my Wacos I wandered down Waco row looking at everyone else's beauties. At the end of the line was Ben Redmond's collection of several UPF7's he'd brought to display and one of those was NC30107 which belonged to a customer in Texas. After a couple of days of looking at it we agreed on a price and I bought it the following week.

NC30107 was restored by Rare in 2014 and has had a couple of owners. On a ferry trip a few years ago the pilot carelessly unbuckled his shoulder harnesses and ruined the fuselage paint. Rare recovered and repainted the fuselage and I couldn't find a scratch on the entire plane. It's like it just came out of their shop for the first time.

Ben took it back to Faribault and did an annual for me, replaced a scratched windscreen polished everything again. I got to Faribault Saturday morning and Ben, Clay Adams who would check me out and Rob Lock who was flying home with me went to lunch followed by a tour of Rare's facilities. The facilities are spotless, well organized and there were lots of interesting projects to look at. What was most impressive to see was the quality of the work they do underneath the skin.

Clay and I took the plane out and did a few hours of flying to get comfortable with it. We did a lot of take of and landings at Stanton, MN (KSVN) which is a former UPF 7 training base during WWII. To do my initial training there, where hundreds of much younger pilots did theirs, in the same airframe, nearly 85 years later was not only fun but a privilege. Finishing up in the early evening we were beat as it was in the low 90's and very humid. That was nothing compared to the next day.

Rob and I took off for Oklahoma City about 7:30 in a cool light breeze and headed for Boone Iowa and KBNW. With a nearly 30 mph tailwind we had a short hour and a half flight and landed on their beautiful grass runway. After landing we noticed we had quite a bit of "dust" on all the leading edges courtesy of the Canadian wildfires.

It was warming up so we didn't stay long and took off heading for a small airport near Topeka, KS. Along the way we decided to push a little further as we were still getting nice tail winds and ultimately stopped at Emporia Kansas (KEMP). Before we got there we flew for about an hour through more hazy Canadian smoke and at the bottoms of low clouds. It kept us cool but it takes a lot of concentration to fly when the horizon is indistinct which it was for essentially the whole trip.

KEMP also has a really nice grass runway though it isn't as lush as those in cooler climes to the north. As we came through 1,000 feet AGL it felt like someone had turned the blast furnace on. And once on the ground it was hotter still. Pulling up to the gas pump the lineman told us it was already 106 degrees. We looked quickly at the forecast for there and Oklahoma City to confirm that it wouldn't cool off until hours after sunset so we decided to push on. But first we borrowed a crew car and went into town for a sandwich and a lot of iced tea.

Back at the airport it took will power to go back on the ramp to fuel the plane. As I was climbing in I noticed we were already venting gas less than 5 minutes after topping off (despite leaving room at the top of the tank). Density altitude was close to 5,000 feet and we took quite a while to climb up to 3,500 feet. I'd planned to go higher for cooler air but we just didn't have the performance to climb more than a couple hundred feet per minute so I gave up and leveled off. We'd lost our tail wind by now, it was really hot and again very hazy. Luckily we didn't have a lot mechanical turbulence but I was really looking forward to getting home.

On the ground in OKC it was 107 degrees and my Best Tug lugs didn't fit the tail wheel so we pushed the plane uphill into the hangar, closed the door and went for a much needed shower! Cross country in a biplane is fun even when the heat is on!

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next