banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 14:54 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2022, 18:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
My UBF 2 is now safely ensconced in Rob Lock's facility in Winter Haven, Florida. After it got there and Rob had a chance to look it over carefully we decided that the "minor" tape bubbles on a couple of the wings, and the imperfect repair to a bottom aileron due to a wing scrape couldn't be repaired in a way that would do the plane justice without pulling the wings off.

The good news is that with them off we can sand them down properly, fix the tapes and improve the painting. The wings were covered, and painted, by someone different than the fuselage and it shows. This will fix that.

One of the projects we'd already decided on was to replace some mild steel fittings and flying wire connections that had corroded while the plane lived close to the ocean. The wing work will help that too.

The speed ring was cracked and stop drilled in a couple of places because it had been installed too tight which didn't allow for expansion when the engine warms up. So, I have a new speed ring in Rob's shop to go with the new aileron. He has a guy who specializes in polishing who will polish the exhaust, the prop and the new speed ring. He'll then go over the fuselage and bring any scratches out.

The original finish on the wings was matte but when we repaint we will go back with a gloss finish. The matte looks great but is harder to keep clean. We'll paint the control sticks while we're at it. The current wings don't have the N number painted on the top and bottom of the wings as they were originally so we'll also get that corrected.

There's a few more miscellaneous items like replacing/fabricating a new rear windscreen that's cracked out of 3/16th plexiglass instead of 1/8th inch, replacing the independent fuel tank valves with a single so you don't have to switch back and forth and a very thorough annual which will likely see a lot of rubber replacement.

When we're finished it should be one of the nicest F2's around. Of course, there aren't many around! Maybe 4 or 5 UBF2's. With any luck it'll all be done before the summer is over and I can get it to California before it gets cold.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2022, 14:41 

WWW  Profile

I just got back from my first major cross country trip in an open cockpit biplane and my first American Waco Club Fly In. Six hundred nautical miles each way in a fast three days with 15 hours flying time. It was great experience overall with a few learning opportunities, great people, a lot of beautiful airplanes to look at and see fly - and an amazing airport (C77) at Poplar Grove, IL.

I've not been able to got to one of these fly ins before due to scheduling so I basically left my entire week open so I could fly when the weather allowed. That turned out to be a good decision as Monday-Wednesday had a lot of frontal activity, T storms, etc. somewhere along the route. But beginning Thursday through the fly in the weather looked, and turned out to be good VFR.

I flew first to KPTS - Pittsburg, Kansas, which is a very nice airport, great runways and a super helpful staff. There I discovered that in a bit over 2 hours flying I had only burned 2.5 gallons out of the right wing. Puzzling. I've not seen that disparity before. I took off for my next leg and paid a lot of attention to fuel. I decided to stop short as the left bobber had moved a lot but the right hadn't. I checked the vent lines and they were clear. An experienced AP advised me to turn the vent to face forward which I did and departed for my next stop.

Before I got there the right tank fuel gauge was bouncing close to empty while the left hadn't moved. So, I diverted to KEOK - Keokuk, IA where I finally was able to speak to a knowledgeable Waco guy who said turn the vent back around, it's a crude system and fly one tank at a time based on the clock - which I did from then on with no issues. But by this time I was pretty tired and the nice folks in Keokuk put my airplane in a hangar - for FREE - and lent me a crew car overnight. After a big dinner and to bed at 8:00pm I was ready to leave by 7:00 the next morning.

Day two saw much more clear air after a storm had come through overnight so the flying was really pleasant all the way to Davenport, IA where I stopped short to check the fuel. Finally, on leg two Friday I made it to C77, Poplar Grove, IL. What an incredible airport! They have two fairway like grass runways that are billiard table smooth plus a concrete N/S runway. There are 400 planes based there and many are antiques. It's a rag and tube pilot's nirvana.

The flying featured at least a half dozen different Waco cabin series, An F1, F2, F3 and three F7's, A Taperwing along with a variety of other antiques including a Monocoupe, PT19, 195 and others. Lots of activities and flying.

Yesterday coming home the first leg was awesome with clear skies and cool weather. In fact I had to wear a jacket as it was 62 when I took off. Landing back in Keokuk for fuel it was deserted - I'm glad I stayed overnight there when there was a hangar and car during the week. The next leg I planned for Nevada, Kansas but ended up extending and going back to Pittsburg. That leg, and the last one were a lot tougher flying with a lot of haze and fair weather cumulus.

With no horizon it's much more difficult flying because I found myself constantly adjusting pitch and power to maintain altitude. It was much harder to find a trim level so a lot more work. Plus, the weather got really hot with temps over 95 through much of Missouri and all of the Kansas and Oklahoma legs.

Traveling long distance in an open cockpit airplane is a lot of fun but the noise, vibration, mental exercise are tiring. I'm going to remember that when I move the F2 from Florida to California and look for cooler temps and perhaps shorter days. 7.3 hours flying time yesterday in hot, bumpy, hazy weather was more than I'd like to do again. When I got home I was beat.

I was also inspired. By the beauty of the country I flew over at low altitude. By the friendly, helpful people I met at airports along the way - many of whom thanked me for stopping at their airport so they could see my plane. By the beauty of the planes and people at the fly in. By C77 Poplar Grove Airport which is, in my mind's eye, what an airport could and should be. Mostly, by the genius of those who built such an amazing airplane nearly 90 years ago, and especially by the intrepid pilots who flew them then without all the advantages of today.

Here's a photo of the mighty Mississippi from 2,000 feet AGL and my plane in a field of Wacos.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2022, 19:08 

Post Likes: +2213
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Great write up Tony. I am going to have to make it to one of the Waco fly ins one of these days. A quick operational question - what kind of radio / audio panel setup do you have. I feel my radios are marginal at best and sometimes it is hard to have good communications. I was told ANR headsets didn't work and now I realize why - so the ol' DC headsets for now appear to be the best option, but it is loud.

I am thinking of switching my radio/audio panel setup for a Garmin GMA345 and a GNC255 to replace the old King radio and KMA24 audio panel. Could you share what you are using and how well it is working? I obviously flew the airplane down from the factory and have done several x-country trips, but at the rate I'm going I feel I'm going to end with hearing loss and tinitis....

Beautiful Waco btw!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2022, 20:13 

WWW  Profile

Thanks Alex!

I have a Becker radio and transponder. They are the little ones designed to fit a 2 1/4 inch hole and were chosen as they fit in the original map box so they can "disappear". The radio works well enough but sometimes I do have problems with static when no one is transmitting. I'm asking for that to be looked at at annual so I don't know if its an install problem or a radio issue. Other than that I'm happy with performance.

As to hearing, ANR, etc. I can attest ANR doesn't work well in the windy environment. I fly with one of these helmets, and in fact have just ordered another one for my other plane:

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/

Overall, I think they work better than a DC headset but they are still not as quiet as I'd like. I've written Ivan and Sandy to see if they have any suggestions to help quiet it down some. It's the wind noise that I find fatiguing. I can hear radio transmissions quit well.

As to the fly ins I've wanted to go for years but could never make the schedule work. Both clubs (National Waco Club and American Waco Club) have their fly ins on back to back weekends and it would be fun to go to both. I just couldn't make that work.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2022, 20:39 

WWW  Profile

At the fly in Saturday most attendees flew to Brodhead airport for a breakfast. As I was preflighting for my trip home one of the last to leave, a large cabin Waco, took the runway. I was pulling up tie down stakes as he began to accelerate down the runway so I only heard, didn't see, as the motor was backfiring and sputtering the closer he came to parallel with me.

I stopped what I was doing, stood up and expected to see the plane coming to a stop on the grass runway near me but instead saw it lift off all the while sputtering, backfiring and cutting out. As I watched I wondered if I was about to witness a tragedy as the plane began a turn back to the runway over a copse of trees.

As the engine went silent, and then began coughing again, the pilot executed a nice downwind landing. He taxied, still sputtering into the parking place next to mine and shut down. The mature appearing three passengers and pilot got out. I heard one of the elderly female passengers remark "well that wasn't very fun" which was the only thing anyone said.

I can't imagine why he thought taking off was the right action to take but I'm glad he pulled off the landing.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 09:34 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
Those Campbell helmets look so sweet.

Agreed, my nice A20s don’t work well in the open cockpit.

I’ve made gradual changes and achieved marginal improvements:

My current setup in the WACO is DC 13.4 with the Oregon Aero complete upgrade kit. The hush kit isolates the speakers from the ear cup, the mic cover is helpful, and the ear cushions do seal better. I wear glasses with wire temples and with careful positioning and holding seems to help the cushions take a set and improves sealing. Still, head movement will catch some airstream and upset things and I’ve found the Lift Aviation flux flight cap- zero 1 helps to keep the headset more stable on the head.

I still wish the noise was less…

https://www.oregonaero.com/headset-kits ... kit-83006e

https://liftaviationusa.com/collections ... cap-zero-1

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 19:37 

Post Likes: +1458
Aircraft: J3, Twin Commander
Username Protected wrote:

Try putting in ear plugs before you put the headset on.
I like Mack’s because they make a smaller version, and it is much more comfortable. You can cut the length down if the reduction is too high.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 23:04 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
I took my Stearman to Robbie’s for the Annual today. Arlington to South Texas in 2:45. No fuel stop. Doing something like I did this morning is better than painting a house for helping you be alone with your thoughts and and sort out the furniture of your life. You have a LOT of time to think. And you get to look at miles and miles and miles of Texas along the way.

Shout out to Chester for braving the heat and giving me a ride home.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 20 Jun 2022, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 23:09 

My current setup in the WACO is DC 13.4 with the Oregon Aero complete upgrade kit. The hush kit isolates the speakers from the ear cup, the mic cover is helpful, and the ear cushions do seal better. I wear glasses with wire temples and with careful positioning and holding seems to help the cushions take a set and improves sealing. Still, head movement will catch some airstream and upset things and I’ve found the Lift Aviation flux flight cap- zero 1 helps to keep the headset more stable on the head.

You might send your 13.4 to CEP in Alabama. They’ll put a jack in the side of the ear cup that lets you put smart earplugs in, put the 13.4’s over that and then plug the earplug cable into the jack on your headset. It gives you another layer of passive protection and pipes the radio into your ear canal, allowing you to turn the volume down and get better clarity. I had my Campbell helmet wired by them and it has made a huge difference in the noise levels and ability to hear the chatter on the radio.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 12:16 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
Thanks CK. I looked at the CEP site, called, and I’m shipping the headset to them for installation.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2022, 18:44 

WWW  Profile

You might send your 13.4 to CEP in Alabama. They’ll put a jack in the side of the ear cup that lets you put smart earplugs in, put the 13.4’s over that and then plug the earplug cable into the jack on your headset. It gives you another layer of passive protection and pipes the radio into your ear canal, allowing you to turn the volume down and get better clarity. I had my Campbell helmet wired by them and it has made a huge difference in the noise levels and ability to hear the chatter on the radio.

I've been going back and forth with Ivan at Campbell Aero Classic about the wind noise. He asked me a number of questions which in answering I don't think are my issues. But I've sent a couple photos he's requested.

He did say this about CEP:

"The helmets are very good at insulating from external ambient noise in the noisiest of aircraft Warbird and open cockpit. They have noise cancelling mics covered with a foam sock and you can fit the leather sock over that for further wind protection. Ensure that on the wire boom, the mic steps back toward your mouth and if the leather sock is fitted that the large hole faces your mouth.
If wind noise is still getting in we do have the mask option which shields against that.

The CEP ear plug speaker only transfer low volume sound into your ears. And May slightly assist with external noise but the ear seals and the helmet itself provides the best insulation. But if noise is transmitted through the mic the ear plugs will still relay that in your ears. "

I've also communicated with CEP USA and the conversion is pretty inexpensive. Just over $100. I'm thinking of sending them my current helmet and trying. I suppose if it doesn't solve the issue I can always take it out.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2022, 19:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1689
Company: FDX
Aircraft: C-310G
Got my CAF Stearman letter last week in Marshall, TX.....

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2022, 21:43 

Here’s what your CEP looks like in the wild.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 07:35 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17

"The helmets are very good at insulating from external ambient noise in the noisiest of aircraft Warbird and open cockpit. They have noise cancelling mics covered with a foam sock and you can fit the leather sock over that for further wind protection. Ensure that on the wire boom, the mic steps back toward your mouth and if the leather sock is fitted that the large hole faces your mouth.
If wind noise is still getting in we do have the mask option which shields against that.

The CEP ear plug speaker only transfer low volume sound into your ears. And May slightly assist with external noise but the ear seals and the helmet itself provides the best insulation. But if noise is transmitted through the mic the ear plugs will still relay that in your ears. "

I've also communicated with CEP USA and the conversion is pretty inexpensive. Just over $100. I'm thinking of sending them my current helmet and trying. I suppose if it doesn't solve the issue I can always take it out.

I use the Campbell helmet with the the mic sock and leather cover in the Stearman. If I'm alone, I fly with the intercom turned off. With a passenger and the intercom switched on, I do pick up noise through the mics. It's annoying but I don't see any way to stop that.

The helmet and ear seals do work well for me but I found that even with wire rimmed glasses, I can't get a good enough ear seal. I fly with goggles now and the noise level is very good.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 07:51 

WWW  Profile

I use the Campbell helmet with the the mic sock and leather cover in the Stearman. If I'm alone, I fly with the intercom turned off. With a passenger and the intercom switched on, I do pick up noise through the mics. It's annoying but I don't see any way to stop that.

The helmet and ear seals do work well for me but I found that even with wire rimmed glasses, I can't get a good enough ear seal. I fly with goggles now and the noise level is very good.

My plane has a switch to turn the intercom off and that's where I leave it most of the time. Even with a passenger I keep it turned off unless I need to say something or they raise there hand as it does create a lot of noise. I'm shipping my helmet to CEP USA to try them and see if I get CK's result. If I do I'll have Campbell add them to my new helmet. Their production is a couple of months out at this point. Despite the current issue I'm having I really like the helmet. It's comfortable, well made, provides more protection than a canvas one of course and Ivan and Sandy provide excellent customer service.

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next