banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 12:17 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Wet sanding fabric
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2022, 10:42 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1474
Company: Roberts Air Services
Aircraft: G35 / Acroduster
>"Originally I thought we could just iron down the bubbled fabric tapes."

Do you mean to the two specks visible to the right of the rivet line under the fabric tape?

Post subject: Re: Wet sanding fabric
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2022, 12:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Username Protected wrote:
>"Originally I thought we could just iron down the bubbled fabric tapes."

Do you mean to the two specks visible to the right of the rivet line under the fabric tape?

No, there were some fairly significant bubbles like the ones in the photo.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2022, 20:46 

WWW  Profile

Wow Tony! Words don’t do it justice. Guessing the hangar holds two Waco’s.

Chuck,

The hangar will accommodate both planes. Seller has a beautiful Stearman and had it and the Waco in the same hangar for a long time. My F2 is smaller than the Stearman so should be plenty of room.

The YKS is really nice, especially the interior. Unfortunately, it doesn't have shoulder harnesses so I'm going to need to have someone take the headliner out and put it back in. Hopefully, the lady who did the work 20 years ago is still around and can do it. The only other issue I want to deal with is the engine which is sound but not very attractive. The front of the crankcase has a fair amount of pitting, probably from the original casting, and the paint is a bit rough. I'm going to have to see if that can be dealt with on the plane or if I'm going to have to take it off. Aside from that, unless something turns up its a very nice time capsule.

I am going to have the guy who is doing the polishing work on my F2 bits do some on this plane when he's out here later in the fall. There is a Waco collector here with a lot of planes he's doing some work for and I'm just going to tag on.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 05:29 

Post Likes: +2213
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
All I can say is WOW Tony!

Congratulations!

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 06:16 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
The only other issue I want to deal with is the engine which is sound but not very attractive. The front of the crankcase has a fair amount of pitting, probably from the original casting, and the paint is a bit rough. I'm going to have to see if that can be dealt with on the plane or if I'm going to have to take it off. Aside from that, unless something turns up its a very nice time capsule.

Tony,
On my previous Stearman, the nose of the W670 looked terrible. The shop I used for maintenance also does complete restorations. They didn't have any trouble repainting just the nose with the engine on the plane.
Good luck.
Dave

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2022, 14:15 

WWW  Profile

Those Campbell helmets look so sweet.

Agreed, my nice A20s don’t work well in the open cockpit.

I’ve made gradual changes and achieved marginal improvements:

My current setup in the WACO is DC 13.4 with the Oregon Aero complete upgrade kit. The hush kit isolates the speakers from the ear cup, the mic cover is helpful, and the ear cushions do seal better. I wear glasses with wire temples and with careful positioning and holding seems to help the cushions take a set and improves sealing. Still, head movement will catch some airstream and upset things and I’ve found the Lift Aviation flux flight cap- zero 1 helps to keep the headset more stable on the head.

I still wish the noise was less…

https://www.oregonaero.com/headset-kits ... kit-83006e

https://liftaviationusa.com/collections ... cap-zero-1

You might send your 13.4 to CEP in Alabama. They’ll put a jack in the side of the ear cup that lets you put smart earplugs in, put the 13.4’s over that and then plug the earplug cable into the jack on your headset. It gives you another layer of passive protection and pipes the radio into your ear canal, allowing you to turn the volume down and get better clarity. I had my Campbell helmet wired by them and it has made a huge difference in the noise levels and ability to hear the chatter on the radio.

I sent my helmet to CEP and got it back Thursday. I've flown twice with it in the F3 and there's a definite improvement. CEP's service is good and it was a modest cots +/- $100. To have Campbell do it they quoted $340! So, I'll send my new helmet in to CEP when Campbell sends it to me.

I'm still getting a lot of noise though and think it's my squelch. I have a Becker and apparently you set the squelch in the set up menu and can't adjust in flight. I can't figure out how to get to the menu - their documentation is not very intuitive - so I'll have the avionics shop assist.

2 thumbs up for CEP! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2022, 19:50 

WWW  Profile

The last few weeks have been great biplane flying weather. Pleasant mornings with fairly light winds and little rain to turn grass strips into mudholes. I've been able to fly 3-4 days a week and it's just been awesome. This morning I was doing some 3 point practice down at KCHK - Chickasha, OK. Turning base each time was just magical - a tight descending turn really shows you the incredible visibility and open feeling of a 2 hole biplane. Really looking forward to the fall!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2022, 08:07 

I keep my Stearman at a field that restores biplanes. I’ve been using that field for over 30 years. I’ve lost track of all of the fantastic restorations I’ve enjoyed seeing over that time. Here’s a few more in progress.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2022, 09:39 

WWW  Profile

David,

Tell us more about the restorations? Are there some pros at your field doing this kind of work or a collection of individuals?

I was at Poplar Grove earlier this summer for the American Waco Club flyin and was bowled over by the resources, professional and hobbyist, they had there. In addition to beautiful grass runways and great airport management they have an active museum, Poplar Grove Airmotive, lots of active pilots flying antique airplanes, etc. It was easy to see that you could be in hog heaven there as an airplane fanatic.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2022, 07:59 

Post Likes: +23
Aircraft: A36TN RV8 PittsS2B
I don’t want to speak for David, but the shop is at Van Sant 9N1. They have been rebuilding and restoring all kinds of vintage machines to museum quality for years.
Great people too! You can see in the pic, there is a Waco, I believe a F2. It’s going to be all original when done, including the hand braking system that they had to re engineer!
The Waco corrugated skin ailerons are always easy to spot!

It’s been a hot, dry summer out here in PA. But plenty of biplane flying. My friend Kendal brought home a silver Lindy from OSH with his Acroduster. Well deserved.
We are ready for some cooler fall flying-

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2022, 21:59 

Post Likes: +1729
Aircraft: Cub, Stearman
Finally got my Stearman in the air yesterday, what an awesome airplane!

Went out to fly it today and the new alternator (That I had to wait months on) wasn't charging.

Really frustrated, the PNW open cockpit weather is almost gone.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2022, 09:12 

Tony,
As Ray mentioned, the shop is at Van Sant, 9N1. They are pros. George Taylor runs the shop. He's got some very talented people working for him.
Dave

David,

Tell us more about the restorations? Are there some pros at your field doing this kind of work or a collection of individuals?

I was at Poplar Grove earlier this summer for the American Waco Club flyin and was bowled over by the resources, professional and hobbyist, they had there. In addition to beautiful grass runways and great airport management they have an active museum, Poplar Grove Airmotive, lots of active pilots flying antique airplanes, etc. It was easy to see that you could be in hog heaven there as an airplane fanatic.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2022, 12:45 

WWW  Profile

While discussing my UBF2 project about a month ago Rob Lock sent me this magazine cover. I told him barnstorming in a biplane was one of the things I really wanted to do someday to which he replied "we're going again in 2025 for the 100th anniversary of Travelair. Buy one and come with us".

I'm in! Rob helped me find a 1929 Travelair B4000 and I closed on the purchase this week.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2022, 13:01 

WWW  Profile

The gentleman I bought the project from has it about 75% finished. He's been working on it a long time but realized he's not going to get it done. His intention was to take it to Oshkosh and try to win a Lindy. So, my promise to him is to get it it finished, pick him up and fly him to Airventure in 2024 so he can pick up his trophy. Rob and I are picking up the pieces in Michigan the middle of next month.

This is a special airplane. It was purchased in 1930 by the new Department of Commerce Aeronautics Branch and registered as N-S 5. We believe it was used in the charting of air mail routes. I've included a 1931 photo of N-S 6, a sister ship, to show what it will be returned to.

The wings, empennage and flight control surfaces have been recovered and painted so we will need to recover and paint the fuselage. I have a copy of the Air Commerce Bulletin from July 1931 which establishes the new department's livery colors at that time and so the aircraft will be appropriately, and historically accurately painted.

Some of the really neat features of this plane include that the original instruments are present and all overhauled (from Pioneer and Consolidated instrument companies). We have two Wright Whirlwind 760-8 motors and a Ham Standard prop.

This is going to be fun to finish and fly!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2022, 21:53 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
Very cool project. Those panels with the vintage instruments are sweet. Looking forward to the rest of this story!

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next