banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 17:43 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Biplane Thread - Experiences, Tips, PIREPS, Pics and Vid
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 08:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5715
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
Username Protected wrote:
Here’s what your CEP looks like in the wild.

CK, with that setup are you getting your audio only through the earbuds, or are you getting both the earbuds and the speakers?

It seems like a smart and simple solution. You're getting the passive noise reduction from the headset and extra from the earplugs, and piping the sound through the earplugs so that it doesn't get attenuated too. You'd achieve the same thing by wearing a Clarity Aloft headset and wearing hearing protection muffs on top, but I don't think it would look as cool with the helmet.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 09:48 

Post Likes: +1091
Aircraft: Bonanza S35
The intercom in my Dad's Stearman is wired so that the intercom can be switched to only be active when the PTT switch is depressed. That cuts way down on ambient noise, and I find that passengers pick up on the need to use the PTT switch pretty easily. The only issue is that the pilot needs to keep track of whether the intercom or the radio is selected.

Regards,

Bob

Downers Grove, IL

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 10:05 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
The intercom in my Dad's Stearman is wired so that the intercom can be switched to only be active when the PTT switch is depressed. That cuts way down on ambient noise, and I find that passengers pick up on the need to use the PTT switch pretty easily. The only issue is that the pilot needs to keep track of whether the intercom or the radio is selected.

Regards,

Bob

That's a neat trick Bob. I think I'll look into that for the Stearman. Give my regards to Old Bob!!!

I'm planning on upgrading the radio and intercom in my Birddog and I'd like to do something similar. With the windows open, the noise from the mic in the rear seat is substantial.

I'd like to have a switch installed to allow the voice activation feature of the intercom turned off requiring PTT switches to be used for the intercom. That old bird has plenty of push to talk switches already installed. I'll have separate PTT's at each seat for intercom and radio.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 10:11 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
BTW, I have their mic mask. I tried it on at home with the helmet. It wasn't very comfortable so I've never bothered flying with it.
Dave

My plane has a switch to turn the intercom off and that's where I leave it most of the time. Even with a passenger I keep it turned off unless I need to say something or they raise there hand as it does create a lot of noise. I'm shipping my helmet to CEP USA to try them and see if I get CK's result. If I do I'll have Campbell add them to my new helmet. Their production is a couple of months out at this point. Despite the current issue I'm having I really like the helmet. It's comfortable, well made, provides more protection than a canvas one of course and Ivan and Sandy provide excellent customer service.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 10:34 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
CK, with that setup are you getting your audio only through the earbuds, or are you getting both the earbuds and the speakers?

It seems like a smart and simple solution. You're getting the passive noise reduction from the headset and extra from the earplugs, and piping the sound through the earplugs so that it doesn't get attenuated too. You'd achieve the same thing by wearing a Clarity Aloft headset and wearing hearing protection muffs on top, but I don't think it would look as cool with the helmet.

The intercom/radio audio is only coming through the buds, piped directly into your ear. The CEP setup bypasses the headset in the helmet when it is plugged in.

On the intercom, I'm with Bob II. We have a PTT button above the throttle quadrant and that is part of the preflight briefing. "When you want to talk to me, push this button; it works like a walkie-talkie." I've found passengers, from little kids to adults, find it pretty intuitive. Really cuts down on the wind noise vs. the open intercom circuit like we have in the Baron.

The corollary to that is: "That button on top of the stick talks to the world. Don't ever push that one!"

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2022, 13:07 

Post Likes: +2214
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
As to hearing, ANR, etc. I can attest ANR doesn't work well in the windy environment. I fly with one of these helmets, and in fact have just ordered another one for my other plane:

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/

Overall, I think they work better than a DC headset but they are still not as quiet as I'd like. I've written Ivan and Sandy to see if they have any suggestions to help quiet it down some. It's the wind noise that I find fatiguing. I can hear radio transmissions quit well.

CK and Tony - how does one go about ordering one of these helmets - I tried their order form and it does not appear to work or I am missing something. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2022, 14:17 

You might try emailing them: ivan@campbellaeroclassics.com

I've found them to be pretty responsive; give them a couple of days to get back to you. They are on the other side of the world in Kiwi-land.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2022, 22:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
You might try emailing them: ivan@campbellaeroclassics.com

I've found them to be pretty responsive; give them a couple of days to get back to you. They are on the other side of the world in Kiwi-land.

Agree. They will send you an order form if you email. They’ll also send a measuring kit to insure you measure your head properly for fit.

As CK says they are very responsive and customer focused but there is sometimes a couple day lag. I’ve been emailing back and forth with Ivan for a week or so working on the cep issue.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2022, 20:21 

Post Likes: +2214
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Thank you CK and Tony!

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2022, 14:12 

WWW  Profile

Here’s what your CEP looks like in the wild.

I have a Lightspeed Mach I in ear headset that I've had for a loooong time. I had custom molded ear plugs made for it and it's still the best headset I've ever worn. Unfortunately, the shirt collar clip kept breaking and eventually I stuck it in a closet. I got it out this morning to try it out in the Waco while my helmet is off getting CEP's. The rubber on the wires is now falling apart and a call to Lightspeed confirmed that they are no longer supporting.

But, maybe the molded plugs will so I'm going to try that on one of my Clarity Aloft headsets I regularly fly with in the Piaggio. If they won't fit I may give these folks a try:

https://www.pilotstuff.com/pilot_earpiece.html

The Clarity Aloft "plugs" work ok but they aren't as comfortable or quiet as the molded ones. These folks can mold for CEP as well.

I did try one of my Lightspeed Zulu headsets, with the ANR turned off,
today doing some pattern work. It worked fairly well, good clarity in the ear piece and minimal transmission issues (which of course can be corrected with a leather sock).

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 11:42 

WWW  Profile

When I purchased my UBF 2 it was in "good" condition. It had been restored in 2014 and the engine/airframe had a total of 123 hours on it. However, it was kept on the east coast in a salty environment so it showed those effects including some surface rust on metal fittings, salt abrasion on the prop and prop hub, leading edge of one of the N struts, etc. Also, the fabric was covered and painted by two different people at different times. The fuselage is flawless but the wings had a few bubbled tapes and a rough looking matte surface which looks good if you don't look closely (unfortunately I look closely). Also, the "speed ring" which was polished metal had stress cracks in it from improper installation.

After ferrying to Florida to restorer Rob Lock's shop I ordered a new speed ring from Forrest Lovley. Unfortunately, my order was just after a large price increase due to metal costs. Anyway, it comes, as you can see in the photos, in pretty rough shape from the manufacturing process. Forrest recommends painting as the effort to get to a mirror shine is extensive.

James with Deltabravoaviation in Punta Gorda is in the process of finishing the ring. So far he has spent a day and a half and worn out one sander on it. He's half way through...

Here are some process photos:

James is also going to polish the exhaust, props, venturi, wing and tail lights, ignition harness. He'll then polish the fuselage paint, do the same with wings when they are repainted and then ceramic coat everything.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 11:51 

WWW  Profile

Originally I thought we could just iron down the bubbled fabric tapes. But that would have meant trying to blend the paint. Then we discovered that the roughness of the finish was due to improper hardner mixing in the paint...

So, wings are off and the center section and tail feathers are also coming off to be refinished:

That process is a lot of wet sanding followed by 2 coats of silver then two coats of finish paint and a final clear coat. Along the way we'll paint N numbers on the top and bottom wings in the historically correct pattern and size (they had not been done previously). Painter will also paint the N struts and control sticks in cockpits as well as the winter cover for the engine (a fitted metal front piece to help the engine maintain heat when flying in cold temps).

New windscreens are being fabricated now and Rob will start going through the plane for a thorough annual once the speed ring and prop are finished. I've also received a new aileron as the PO dragged one in his check out and it wasn't repaired as well as I would have liked. Oddly, none of the ailerons had been painted, they still had the plastic film on them from the manufacturer, so we'll be painting those too.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 18:37 

Tony, you have the old airplane disease. You are sick and you will never be well. :bud:

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2022, 23:04 

WWW  Profile

Tony, you have the old airplane disease. You are sick and you will never be well. :bud:

It's a bad case...

I've been scouring northern California for an affordable hangar to put my F2 in. While I've met a number of nice people (including a BTer!) along the way who have been helpful I have had little success.

A couple of months ago I was investigating Sonoma Schellville and saw a partially open hangar door with just a bit of red wing showing. I asked the line guy if there was a Waco in there and he didn't know. I bet him $5 there was and asked him who owned it. After introducing myself and spending a pleasant hour visiting and admiring the plane I went on my way.

Last weekend, stopping back by, the retired United Captain who owned it mentioned he was going to sell. Today, after perusing the logbooks back to 1935, the restoration history, etc. we shook hands on a deal for me to buy the plane...and the hangar! I have a new aviation base for biplane flying and I'm very excited about that. And soon to be two red and black Waco's to fly.

This one is a 1935 Waco YKS 6 cabin which seats 5 1930's people or 4 21st century folks in comfort on it's over stuffed, wool upholstery. In 1935 it was the epitome of executive transportation with roll up windows, a comfortable cabin and decent speed with the Jacobs 755-5 engine and Hamilton Standard constant speed propeller. Restored in 2000 it only has 58 hours TTAF&E!

Here are a few photos:

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2022, 23:10 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Wow Tony! Words don’t do it justice. Guessing the hangar holds two Waco’s.

Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next