Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Merlin Swearingen Instruction in Atlanta Area
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 22:36 

YIM  Profile

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: TBM
My buddy just bought a Merlin Swearingen. He is looking for an instructor in Atlanta area. He needs a few days instruction from 18th to 20th October. Any info. will be appreciated.

Peter Bae

Post subject: Re: Merlin Swearingen Instruction in Atlanta Area
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 23:35 

Post Likes: +8797
Aircraft: A36
BTer Jason Morford is a check pilot and instructor for a 135 outfit in Michigan. While he may not be able to do the training, he probably knows someone who can.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 23:43 

YIM  Profile

Username Protected wrote:
BTer Jason Morford is a check pilot and instructor for a 135 outfit in Michigan. While he may not be able to do the training, he probably knows someone who can.

Thanks Florian. I asked my buddy to contact Jason Morford.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 23:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +154
Company: Bison Aviation, LLC
Good Evening Peter,

Congratulations to your friend. Now, not to be nit-picky, but it's a Swearingen Merlin not the other way around. Swearingen was the manufacturer (like Beechcraft)... of course depending on when the plane was built it may have been Swearingen, Swearingen Aircraft Company, Fairchild, yadda yadda yadda. Merlin refers to the model (like KingAir or Bonanza).

What kind of Merlin did he buy? The II series (SA-26(A or AT)) used Queen Air wings and tail feathers, along with T-Bone gear mated to a Swearingen built fuselage. A true frankenplane if there ever was one. The III series (SA-226T) was an original design from the ground up and of course the IV (SA-226AT) is the stretched version of the III.

I'm going to PM you with contact info for a guy who does training in all of these birds. He's done my initial courses for both my IIB and my IIIA and he doesn't mind traveling.

I'm not sure what your friend's experiance level is, but the III series is not a plane to be taken lightly. They're very good airplanes, but they take a bit more discipline than most turboprops. The II series are pretty much pussy-cats and are excellent short field birds, despite their size. There are a lot of systems packed into these birds, especially the IIIs so have your friend spend some serious time reading the AFM and training manuals before he starts training in the plane. It will make his life much easier. I can email copies of the manuals if he needs them.

Again, congratulations to your friend. I know these birds don't have the same reputation or respect as the KingAir but they're still great old birds and undervalued on today's market.

Sincerely,

John IV

@BisonAviation
800-247-6699

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 00:42 

YIM  Profile

Username Protected wrote:
Good Evening Peter,

Congratulations to your friend. Now, not to be nit-picky, but it's a Swearingen Merlin not the other way around. Swearingen was the manufacturer (like Beechcraft)... of course depending on when the plane was built it may have been Swearingen, Swearingen Aircraft Company, Fairchild, yadda yadda yadda. Merlin refers to the model (like KingAir or Bonanza).

What kind of Merlin did he buy? The II series (SA-26(A or AT)) used Queen Air wings and tail feathers, along with T-Bone gear mated to a Swearingen built fuselage. A true frankenplane if there ever was one. The III series (SA-226T) was an original design from the ground up and of course the IV (SA-226AT) is the stretched version of the III.

I'm going to PM you with contact info for a guy who does training in all of these birds. He's done my initial courses for both my IIB and my IIIA and he doesn't mind traveling.

I'm not sure what your friend's experiance level is, but the III series is not a plane to be taken lightly. They're very good airplanes, but they take a bit more discipline than most turboprops. The II series are pretty much *** and are excellent short field birds, despite their size. There are a lot of systems packed into these birds, especially the IIIs so have your friend spend some serious time reading the AFM and training manuals before he starts training in the plane. It will make his life much easier. I can email copies of the manuals if he needs them.

Again, congratulations to your friend. I know these birds don't have the same reputation or respect as the KingAir but they're still great old birds and undervalued on today's market.

Sincerely,

John IV

John,

He has Merlin III SA-226T. I sent PM to you.

Peter

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]