15 May 2024, 01:21 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Vitatoe P210TN in July issue of Cessna Pilots
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 19:09 

Post Likes: +94
Aircraft: P210 SE, C182
I've had my conversion for almost a year (P210). It does everything Larry promised and more. The comments from other Vitatoe owners are the same - I've yet to hear anyone that is not satisfied. I'm just working on my IR, so currently can only go up to 17,500 feet but on a cruise home this past summer from Palm Springs, I was running 29.8", 2500 RPM, 16.9GPH and cruise was 207 Knots TAS. Temp at alt was 15C, and warmest cylinder was 363F, cowl flaps partially closed. When I get my IR and can get up into the FL's, I suspect I'll be able to get close to 215 knots around 21-22,000 feet. Climb performance is also pretty good. 1000 fpm no problem right to mid teens. Others report similar performance.

For those familiar with the 210's and the IO520, maintaining engine temps <400F was always a challenge and step climbing was required when in warmer temps to keep cylinder temps at bay. This was particularly an issue with the pressurized ones as you are working everything a little harder. Now its no issue even when taking off with ground temps at 30C.

No maintenance issues so far, but I've only got <100 hours on mine. I've heard of no other maintenance issues from anyone else. There is a Vitatoe users group in the process of getting set up so we'll all be a little more educated once this gets up and running.

Garth

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 19:36 

Post Likes: +1827
Aircraft: Baron 58, Lear 35
Hi, Garth. I worked on your TKS install. I hope you are liking it as much as the engine conversion. The OP said the engine install required the installation of the Auracle engine monitor. Was that true and what is going to happen now that Auracle has folded up their tent?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 21:02 

Post Likes: +372
Company: Cessna (retired)
How does it climb at real hot temperature, say OAT greater than 100 deg F?

The reason I ask is that the P210R I flew some many years ago seemed to climb a lot worse than POH and nobody I asked could explain why.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 21:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +459
Aircraft: 1960 Bonanza M35
Username Protected wrote:
Any updates on the conversion? Any Pireps of anyone that has owned one of these for a while? Ongoing maintenance issues?

A guy at my Airpark has one and raves about it. He also has TKS making it very capable.

Post subject: Re: Vitatoe P210TN
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 22:16 

Post Likes: +4
Company: Vitatoe Aviation
Aircraft: Cessna P210
Thanks for the comments. The FAA originally required the Auracle since that was the engine analyzer installed in the prototype aircraft. Right after the STC was granted, we submitted a modification which allows several different engine analyzers to be used.

We appreciate the strong support of our customers. Fifty nine aircraft have been completed, in process, or scheduled for TN550 conversion. Since we have PMA on the kit, approximately 25% of the conversions have been done by other shops in accordance with our STC.

One issue we have encountered which is not directly related to the STC but is very important to all turbocharged 210's is the turbo scavenge pump check valve. The check valve is designed to prevent oil from flowing back into the turbo housing when the engine is shut down. There is a flapper valve in the check valve that can come loose and block the flow of oil from the turbo to the scavenge pump. If that happens, the oil pumped to lubricate the turbo has nowhere to go but overboard which will deplete the oil supply very quickly. I believe Cessna recommends replacement of the valve every 1500 hours. We recommend checking at each Annual Inspection and replacing every 500 hours. Indications of a problem include declining oil pressure as the oil is depleted. This calls for immediate action by the pilot.

Other than that, we haven't seen any widespread issues. Continental did a great job designing the Cross Flow IO550 which is our basis for modification. We really appreciate the support and comments. We continue to work on expanding the applications of the TN550 and our naturally aspirated STC that converts sandcast IO520 and IO550 engines to Cross Flow configuration.

Larry

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 01:32 

Hi, Garth. I worked on your TKS install. I hope you are liking it as much as the engine conversion. The OP said the engine install required the installation of the Auracle engine monitor. Was that true and what is going to happen now that Auracle has folded up their tent?

Hi Paul - yes - i'm happy with the TKS, as well as the GTN 750 and GTX 345 you guys installed.

As Larry mentions below, they have other options for engine monitors. As I already had a JPI 930 in my 182, I decided to keep things the same so I had Larry put the 930 in the P210 as well.

Larry was great to deal with - every time I called or emailed him with a question, he was on it very quickly with very thoughtful and detailed answers.

Garth

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 01:42 

How does it climb at real hot temperature, say OAT greater than 100 deg F?

The reason I ask is that the P210R I flew some many years ago seemed to climb a lot worse than POH and nobody I asked could explain why.

I haven't personally climbed in temps quite that high - I think the highest for me was around 95F or so. If I recall, I think I kept it around 800 FPM and had no issues maintaining 380F on the cylinder temps.

garth

Post subject: Re: Vitatoe P210TN
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2024, 13:23 

Company: McKee Homes Ltd.
Aircraft: Cessna T210R
Thanks for the comments. The FAA originally required the Auracle since that was the engine analyzer installed in the prototype aircraft. Right after the STC was granted, we submitted a modification which allows several different engine analyzers to be used.

We appreciate the strong support of our customers. Fifty nine aircraft have been completed, in process, or scheduled for TN550 conversion. Since we have PMA on the kit, approximately 25% of the conversions have been done by other shops in accordance with our STC.

One issue we have encountered which is not directly related to the STC but is very important to all turbocharged 210's is the turbo scavenge pump check valve. The check valve is designed to prevent oil from flowing back into the turbo housing when the engine is shut down. There is a flapper valve in the check valve that can come loose and block the flow of oil from the turbo to the scavenge pump. If that happens, the oil pumped to lubricate the turbo has nowhere to go but overboard which will deplete the oil supply very quickly. I believe Cessna recommends replacement of the valve every 1500 hours. We recommend checking at each Annual Inspection and replacing every 500 hours. Indications of a problem include declining oil pressure as the oil is depleted. This calls for immediate action by the pilot.

Other than that, we haven't seen any widespread issues. Continental did a great job designing the Cross Flow IO550 which is our basis for modification. We really appreciate the support and comments. We continue to work on expanding the applications of the TN550 and our naturally aspirated STC that converts sandcast IO520 and IO550 engines to Cross Flow configuration.

Larry

Hi Larry it's actually every 1000 hours. I now know this as mine broke off during run-up, unbeknownst to me, i had a quick backtaxi, then took off. After climbing about 50', gear up, flaps 10, rolling back the RPM, immediately smelled smoke, then it came rolling up from the back of the cockpit, moving forward. Initially thought a cabin fire with the fire in the back. Got a call from friends on the ground i was trailing smoke. I rolled back power did a very tight circuit landed, and when parked, checked the oil, had lost 7.5 quarts in the barely 3 minute flight. Check valve wafer broke free from the flapper keeper, and plugged the return oil line. The little canister quickly filled up, then dumped oil out the breather into the exhaust stream. Very mickey mouse flapper in that valve to be honest, clipped in rather than maybe welded! Anyway had oil pressure on shutdown, and temp never got over 157 per the JPI930. Thankfully broke when it did, and not an hour later over the Rockies...

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PWI, Inc. (Banner)