25 Apr 2024, 03:15 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Helicopter traffic pattern
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 11:46 

Post Likes: +29
Aircraft: '79 A36TC
I recently flew into Pontiac, MI and was #2 behind a helicopter on base. I couldn't spot the guy. When I was on final I had to ask the tower where he was, and he was hovering over the numbers. I flew a typical traffic pattern; what do helicopter traffic patterns look like? I was definitely looking in the wrong places for this guy.

Post subject: Re: Helicopter traffic pattern
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 12:16 

Post Likes: +4346
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35
I was told, and teach my students, that the basic guideline is to "avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic."

Sitting on the numbers when fixed wing aircraft are in the pattern is lame. I always go for a taxiway or ramp. The tower is usually happy with this.

However, this does not apply in Europe. On one of my first flights in Germany I asked to go direct to the ramp. Oh my. You would have thought I asked to land on the roof of the terminal! No way. You fly the complete pattern down to the runway then exit at a taxiway. :crazy:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 12:33 

Post Likes: +29
Aircraft: '79 A36TC
Are they 500'AGL when they start final? How far away from the runway do they turn from base to final, etc. Or is different with every helicopter pilot?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 14:01 

Post Likes: +43
Considerate helo pilots "avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic" as stated. If there is traffic in the pattern, I plan approaches to the parallel taxi way or cross taxi-ways, and try to be predictable. I try to maneuver on the non-pattern side of the airfield, and plan the termination after you land or before you are on base or final. If that is not possible, airspeed can be adjusted considerably, but rarely below 60kts due to engine out considerations.

If the winds are a factor, I only need to be into the wind the last 100 feet to avoid tail rotor issues, so there is plenty of ways to stay out of your way. Due to the relatively unobstructed view out of a helicopter, it is easy to keep fixed wing traffic in sight. If there is doubt I'll say I have you in sight and will state clearly how I plan to approach and land.

Direct to the ramp is possible but rotor wash concerns around fixed wing aircraft often prevent this. Consider that there is not only rotor wash damage to your airframe and control surfaces to watch for, but even cut grass and debris (FOD) can be blown in and around your aircraft and can find its way into cowlings and gear wells. Weeds blown into windscreens and windows can scratch them. Sod areas can be a hazard to the helo as well since cut grass and weeds will clog engine intake filter systems.

Most helo pilots will be comfortable at 500 ft AGL or slightly higher, but we are often hard to see so we rarely fly at traffic pattern altitudes. When transitioning through the airport area I try to remain 500 above your pattern or 5 miles away.

It would be better if fixed wing pilots looking for a helo would consider a short radio call such as "state position" rather than inappropriate and worthless calls such as "any traffic please advise" type calls.

I will say that in my opinion after 32 years of helicopter flying your fixed wing aircraft has the right-of-way around the airport as long as I know you're there. Works out better that way.

Chris

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 20:05 

Post Likes: +4527
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
Hi all,

I agree with Chris. I instructed several years in heilos, and we just avoided the fixed wing pattern. Typically our traffic pattern topped out at 500' AGL, and we would use a taxiway intersection or some other prominent are as "the spot" for our pattern work.

On rare occasions would we use the runway, either if we were practicing IFR approaches, or if we were practicing "shallow approaches" followed by "run-on landings", which simulated landing with restricted/reduced power (outside the normal hover envelope).

Best,
Rich

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]