Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: World's smallest plane
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 10:40 

Post Likes: +22972
Aircraft: A33
Username Protected wrote:
With an empty weight well below the ultralight max of 254 lb, doesn't that mean it can't be classified as an MEL aircraft / used as a time-builder? I've always assumed it's just considered an ultralight with all the (lack of) privileges attached.

if "ultralight" in the American sense, is it too fast for part103? It sure looks better than 55kts

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 10:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +50
With an empty weight well below the ultralight max of 254 lb, doesn't that mean it can't be classified as an MEL aircraft / used as a time-builder? I've always assumed it's just considered an ultralight with all the (lack of) privileges attached.

if "ultralight" in the American sense, is it too fast for part103? It sure looks better than 55kts

Good point. So it does require a N-number and a pilot license.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 10:50 

Post Likes: +10575
Company: Forever a Student Pilot
Aircraft: 1947 Bonanza 35
I'd like to meet the Person, who would fly :pilot: one of these Airplanes, Cricket or the Bumble Bee :bugeye: Think, very large Grapefruit sized........well you know? :bugeye:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 13:32 

Post Likes: +4
If I remember correctly, the designer of the Cri Cri did not want the plans sold in the US. I don’t remember if this was for liability reasons or he just didn’t like the US.

It is true; I've a friend who bought a set of plans, but had to buy them with a Canadian address (easily done for him); I am led to understand that there may have been a plaintiffs' suit against the designer, but I have no personal knowledge. Would not surprise me.

I believe the design Mr Columbian got into a deal to sell the plane in the USA with Chris Heintz of zenith. The plane is a real light weight carefully designed plane. Chris made some changes to the design and sold them as a kit with plans copied from mr columban but with his name edited out. The changes were not safe according to the designer and someone died in a crash. They tried to sue the original designer hence he does not want to sell plane to the USA. I also believe the orignal designer never got paid any royalties.There are work around to buy them and if you look around plans are available to download.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 14:40 

Post Likes: +3117
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
I believe the design Mr Columbian got into a deal to sell the plane in the USA with Chris Heintz of zenith. The plane is a real light weight carefully designed plane. Chris made some changes to the design and sold them as a kit with plans copied from mr columban but with his name edited out. The changes were not safe according to the designer and someone died in a crash. They tried to sue the original designer hence he does not want to sell plane to the USA. I also believe the orignal designer never got paid any royalties.There are work around to buy them and if you look around plans are available to download.

Sounds about right...

...sigh.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 14:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1375
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
If you do the research on this airframe you are going to find about 12% of them that were once registered, have been destroyed in crashes.

We had a gentleman perish in one at our airport open house. Very sad. I think in his case it was fuel contamination. As someone said, the early models were not capable of flight on a single engine.

--paul

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 15:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5545
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
They fly fine on one engine with the bigger 15hp JPX engines, no problem. They speak about it in this clip:

Aircraft is small, but rather complex to build, so not a good fit for novices. Like a little Swiss watch. There's a guy right now building one here in the US with small JetCat turboprop engines. He has a whole building VLOG on YouTube.

I've wanted one for years and there are two for sale in France right now on the F-reg. But taking them into the US would pose some problems - you could get it on Exhibiton register most likely, but that has some restrictions. Owner Built will be tough. Option is to leave them on F-reg and just fly them like that (you can own an F-reg as a foreigner and remain on the French register), but then your annual inspection becomes a little more costly as you now have to get an EASA part 145 facility to sign it off each year etc.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 15:24 

Post Likes: +1971
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
If you do the research on this airframe you are going to find about 12% of them that were once registered, have been destroyed in crashes.

We had a gentleman perish in one at our airport open house. Very sad. I think in his case it was fuel contamination. As someone said, the early models were not capable of flight on a single engine.

--paul

I remember that Paul (I'm based at Wings and Van Sant). He brought the Cri Cri to Wings a few times. The fuel tank is under the pilot's legs and/or backside as I recall. I understand he was severely burned, RIP.
Dave

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 15:46 

Post Likes: +3274
Would building a turbo prop or jet one put it into the restrictive exhibition class?

Seems the danger in these things is trusting single cylinder engines

Also wonder if there is a better way to protect against stank rupture as I’m sure tech has changed since it was first designed in the late 80s

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2013/06/j ... r.html?m=1

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 16:05 

Post Likes: +5746
Aircraft: E33/152A
They fly fine on one engine with the bigger 15hp JPX engines, no problem. They speak about it in this clip:

Aircraft is small, but rather complex to build, so not a good fit for novices. Like a little Swiss watch. There's a guy right now building one here in the US with small JetCat turboprop engines. He has a whole building VLOG on YouTube.

I've wanted one for years and there are two for sale in France right now on the F-reg. But taking them into the US would pose some problems - you could get it on Exhibiton register most likely, but that has some restrictions. Owner Built will be tough. Option is to leave them on F-reg and just fly them like that (you can own an F-reg as a foreigner and remain on the French register), but then your annual inspection becomes a little more costly as you now have to get an EASA part 145 facility to sign it off each year etc.

Operating under experimental airshow/exhibition is not a big deal. You will get issued operating limitations suited for your needs. You typically get a radius for maintaining currency, and you can list a home base and a maintenance base. You will have to submit an annual program letter. Most use a list of all known aviation related events in the Continental US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and submit a letter referencing the list stating “following is a list of events that I may attend”. There are lots of warbirds and aircraft not eligible for standard airworthiness certificates flown regularly and basically uninhibited. I researched enforcement actions for operating outside of the program letter and could not find any.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 16:54 

Post Likes: +3274

Operating under experimental airshow/exhibition is not a big deal. You will get issued operating limitations suited for your needs. You typically get a radius for maintaining currency, and you can list a home base and a maintenance base. You will have to submit an annual program letter. Most use a list of all known aviation related events in the Continental US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and submit a letter referencing the list stating “following is a list of events that I may attend”. There are lots of warbirds and aircraft not eligible for standard airworthiness certificates flown regularly and basically uninhibited. I researched enforcement actions for operating outside of the program letter and could not find any.

That’s one thing to tolerate for a warbird, but a kit plane like that, meh

If one did turbo props wonder if that would avoid that nonsense

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2024, 17:21 

Post Likes: +2227
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Only plane I know of you can put on a roof rack.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2024, 00:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5545
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
And it's aerobatic, so stressed to 6G.

The reason they might have had more accidents probably all down to the unreliable engines. Funny how 2-strokes are so temperamental, when they're so much simpler than OHC engines. Never understood that. Should be the opposite.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2024, 15:05 

Post Likes: +10793
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
And it's aerobatic, so stressed to 6G.

The reason they might have had more accidents probably all down to the unreliable engines. Funny how 2-strokes are so temperamental, when they're so much simpler than OHC engines. Never understood that. Should be the opposite.

Most 2 stroke engines don't have pressure lubrication and the oil is either premixed with the fuel or mixed with fuel in the engine. Beyond that, controlling RPM often has to be done by varying ignition timing since the mixture has to be very rich at low speeds. Due to the oil in the fuel, plug fouling is a bigger issue.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2024, 15:32 

Post Likes: +5746
Aircraft: E33/152A
All that and they are prone to seizing during low power extended descent. Inadequate lubrication at low throttle settings with windmilling prop since all the lubricant is in the fuel.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next