Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Purchasing an aircraft with out a pre-buy
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2024, 12:21 

Post Likes: +19741
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Username Protected wrote:
Rule #12

12. "Call for price" planes are always the most desirable so you'd better act quick, bring cash in the amount of the full asking price and forget the prebuy as the seller knows what they got.

:lol:

Russ you left out the green.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2024, 12:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10142
Aircraft: '68 36 (E-19)
Rule #12

12. "Call for price" planes are always the most desirable so you'd better act quick, bring cash in the amount of the full asking price and forget the prebuy as the seller knows what they got.

:lol:

Russ you left out the green.

My version of a stress test John to detect anyone suffering from excessive seriousness.

This is a silent killer affecting up to 1/2 the pilot population.

Good news is you passed with no abnormalities and are good for 6 months! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2024, 12:44 

Post Likes: +679
Aircraft: 36
4.) High roller. :D

5. Darwin candidate

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 10:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +218
Company: Plane Data, Inc.
Aircraft: Cessna Cardinal RG

Buying an airplane is about as complicated as buying a bag of chips; lawyers try to complicate it to justify their fees. If you actually read the BS in a lawyer written agreement, it is 100% designed to get both parties in 6 figures of useless litigation to enrich the lawyer. Buyers that try to complicate the process with lawyers have in 100% of cases lost out on buying a desirable airplane to an easier buyer willing to follow our simple rules.

The following happened right before Christmas on a 7 figure Citation I owned/sold:

Buyer 1 has invested a significant amount of time in looking at a plane/doing a prebuy yet has failed to sign the 1 page agreement.

This scenario is still a little confusing. Why would ANYONE allow a prebuy without a signed contract in place FIRST. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I am not sure of the wisdom of allowing unauthorized or unapproved mechanic/shop (via a contract) to start removing panels, equipment, examining logs, etc. This is a scenario just asking for problems.

Generally, aircraft are not overly complicated to purchase as long as the seller is up front with information and not misrepresenting the aircraft (not indicating that anyone here isn't - just an observation). Attorneys are looking out for the interests of their clients. That is their job. As an example, it may be advantageous for the sale to take place in another state due to taxes or there may be other financial advantages to the buyer moving the aircraft to a different location prior to Closing. Normally, these are not deal-killer issues if discussed and negotiated up front. Non-negotiable terms such as "as is, where is" make the purchase more expensive to the buyer and they have to figure that into their analysis - as does their attorney.

Sellers want someone to fly in, write and check and fly out with minimal checks or inspections. However, buyers are not purchasing a bag of chips. They are buying a fairly expensive asset with a number of moving parts, interconnected electrical components and materials that undergo stresses on each trip. Generally, this is a "trust but verify" environment and the contract holds both parties accountable if negotiated properly.

The reason issues wind up in court vary but typically someone (buyer or seller) did not adhere to the contract which is legally binding - and these issues could be addressed through arbitration too if properly negotiated. Some items are non-negotiable. That is fine. It is better to highlight those issues up front than say when the aircraft is in the middle of prebuy when the level of expenses is much lower on both sides.

Good luck.

Plane Data, Inc.
800-895-1382
www.planedata.com

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 11:09 

Post Likes: +4659
This scenario is still a little confusing. Why would ANYONE allow a prebuy without a signed contract in place FIRST. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I am not sure of the wisdom of allowing unauthorized or unapproved mechanic/shop (via a contract) to start removing panels, equipment, examining logs, etc. This is a scenario just asking for problems.

I almost had one, buyer wouldn't agree on a price, I pointed out hot section due on one of the engines, and some other maintenance that was imminent. He wouldn't sign the purchase agreement- emotional attachment? who knows

He said tell me the real offer when you come up with one (rejecting my $600k~ offer), I'll get those items fixed.....so he did the hot section, $185k later, he was crying.....now the $620k plane would go for no less than $700k.....so I of course I was walking from this one, now he was due for phase, since he had wasted so much time, in phase his left wing started leaking, all fuel bladders needed replacing, $40k later.....he thought the plane was surely worth $740k

It never ended, and I moved on

he ended up listing with a broker, and I'm pretty sure it sold for around $600k- I saw the plane in a shop a year later, all torn apart, both starter gens needed replacing, the list was long- I was happy I avoided it

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 12:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Everybody wants the "turn key, no squawks, good times" airplane and they will pay a premium for it.

But the issue is that those airplanes often have issues that come up just like the planes of lower price.

In my case, I am willing to accept an airplane that has things that need to be fixed and then I can control what gets fixed and how. I prefer not having a seller "fix for sale" since that means always choosing the cheapest option to make it barely airworthy. I'd rather have the option to address the issue with a long term fix.

As long as the price is commensurate with the condition, then I'm okay having to fix things.

One advantage to the lower price is lower sales taxes, lower property taxes, and lower hull insurance.

I've seen several cases of supposedly "prime" airplanes that ended up in the shop with big issues. Those don't sting as much if you paid less and have more funds for the repair. BTW, repair parts and labor don't get sales tax (at least for my situation).

In this regard, an airplane that is higher time, like mine, but flown regularly all its life, is sometimes a better choice than some super low time plane that spends a lot of time sitting. Regular use keeps planes healthy.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 12:31 

Post Likes: +4659
Good point Mike

My observation was that airplanes listed for sale often times had healthy maintenance reserves accounts set aside, that is to say, they knew they had high dollar items deferred or upcoming, and wanted to sell the plane and pocket those reserves. My goal was to make sure those items were handled, or priced in....this often led to a standoff with the owner of who would blink first

So lame, and such a frustrating process- glad that I do not have to transact airplanes often, my hat goes off to those of you that do this frequently

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 13:02 

Post Likes: +1302
Aircraft: C501SP
So I have purchased exactly 1 airplane in my life and it was done without a pre-buy, from Tarver. I did speak to a few people that had purchased planes from him to get a feel for how he operates, whether he stands behind his products, etc. I did go and check out the plane but being new to turbines I didn't really know what I was looking for. But the plane was flying regularly and in the previous year had a bunch of inspections done.

I did end up having 2 issues that had to be fixed. One of them (bad o rings in the fuel system) would not have turned up in a pre-buy so I just had to eat that one. The other (windshield bleed air system was inop) likely would have turned up in a pre-buy but the cost was minimal. I purchased the plane for a good price so I was ready to absorb some costs to get it just the way I like it.

On my next plane I will know a lot more (I help my mechanic with everything on my plane) and will crawl through it myself thoroughly. I will also have the engines borescoped just for peace of mind. If I end up moving towards an SII I will have the TKS panels thoroughly inspected for corrosion. But otherwise I'm getting a pretty good feel for how these things work.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 10:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10142
Aircraft: '68 36 (E-19)
The other (windshield bleed air system was inop) likely would have turned up in a pre-buy but the cost was minimal.

Here's my take away from this.

A seller sold you a plane he knew, or should have known, had this issue and he didn't disclose it to you. An inop windshield de-icing problem on a jet is not a minor issue, even if the repair cost is minimal. This seller advocates not needing pre buys. Oh the irony.

You choosing not to do a pre buy on an airplane makes you a gambler. Plain and simple.

Now gambling is fine. It can be fun. Exciting. But it's still gambling. And like other forms, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

The seller is always the house, because they have more info than you. And if you gamble enough as a buyer, you're unlikely to beat the house. Though gamblers love to tell you how they beat the house. Rarely mentioning how the house beat them. And worse.

To each their own.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 10:34 

Post Likes: +8988
Aircraft: 1962 Debonair B33
I’ve got a “quiet sale” ongoing for one of my planes, and have insisted the buyer have his representative conduct a pre-purchase inspection.

The plane is a very, very nice example of the type, and I inspected it myself pre-purchase, and quite accurately assessed it.

Having said that, my credibility in a sale is more important than any amount of money. Thus, my insistence on a pre-purchase by the buyer’s independent inspection.

Unfortunately, this insistence on my part has added to the delay and complication of the transaction to the point where it’s probably dead.

Such is life…

Planes don’t care how much money you have. They only care how much money they need.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 11:04 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7353
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I’ve got a “quiet sale” ongoing for one of my planes, and have insisted the buyer have his representative conduct a pre-purchase inspection.

The plane is a very, very nice example of the type, and I inspected it myself pre-purchase, and quite accurately assessed it.

Having said that, my credibility in a sale is more important than any amount of money. Thus, my insistence on a pre-purchase by the buyer’s independent inspection.

Unfortunately, this insistence on my part has added to the delay and complication of the transaction to the point where it’s probably dead.

Such is life…

I sold airplanes for stocking aircraft dealers for 15 years prior to switching to the buyer’s side. We always went out of our way to avoid prebuys… but I believe you are right, as a seller you should actually encourage a prebuy, then the responsibility of what condition the aircraft is in shifts from the seller to the buyer and their maintenance facility!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 11:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4413
Aircraft: B200, 500B
The seller is always the house, because they have more info than you.

That is not always true. It is often not true when buying from an estate.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 11:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +218
Company: Plane Data, Inc.
Aircraft: Cessna Cardinal RG
The seller is always the house, because they have more info than you.

That is not always true. It is often not true when buying from an estate.

This is also why I advocate for ALWAYS having a professional appraise the aircraft before discussing the pricing. On more than one occasion, I have revealed issues that neither party knew about or considered. This included mods that were not documented, improper repairs, damage history improperly repaired and so forth.

There is no reason the buyer cannot have as much or more knowledge than the seller.

Knowledge is power!

Good luck.
Plane Data, Inc.
800-895-1382
www.planedata.com

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 14:48 

Post Likes: +1302
Aircraft: C501SP
Here's my take away from this.

A seller sold you a plane he knew, or should have known, had this issue and he didn't disclose it to you. An inop windshield de-icing problem on a jet is not a minor issue, even if the repair cost is minimal. This seller advocates not needing pre buys. Oh the irony.

You choosing not to do a pre buy on an airplane makes you a gambler. Plain and simple.

Now gambling is fine. It can be fun. Exciting. But it's still gambling. And like other forms, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

The seller is always the house, because they have more info than you. And if you gamble enough as a buyer, you're unlikely to beat the house. Though gamblers love to tell you how they beat the house. Rarely mentioning how the house beat them. And worse.

To each their own.

There is risk in any of these transactions. Pre-buys miss things, sometimes big things. Examples of this are right here in this thread. In my case, the cost of the repair was less than what I would have paid for the pre-buy. Plus the selling price was very fair. So while I was taking some risk, I had some buffer in my budget and accepted the risk. Was I lucky? Yes. But I was as much buying into an ecosystem as buying a single airplane. I was confident that if something was really wrong that Tarver would work hard to make it right. In fact, one of his customers that I interviewed told me as much. After purchase they had some kind of engine issue and Tarver made it right. That was good enough for me.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2024, 18:19 

Post Likes: +1165
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
A good prebuy has a lot of areas opened, closed, possibly filters removed for inspection, cowls, spark plugs, compressions etc.

How many times in reviewing a set of logbooks has anyone seen a log entry for any prebuy or removal reinstallation work during the prebuy that was done?

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next