banner
banner

27 Apr 2024, 16:49 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: PT6 overhaul or just keep doing HSIs?
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2023, 12:49 

Post Likes: +661
Do any parts get refurbished at OH, or only replaced?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2023, 12:51 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
You don’t just run these engines past TBO, you operate them on condition, the more time you put on them the more expensive the overhauls get, not only in actual expense, but now you have to be concerned that the shop isn’t going to so you any favors because you went past TBO…

Are you saying the shops you recommend are punitive? That is, they make it a point to charge your more because you went over TBO?

Quote:
PT6-60A’s we do have the experience and I can tell you that at 4000 hours past new they are typically hurting.

If you reuse the same parts at TBO, why are they not hurting when they get to 4000 hours total time? if you aren't reusing them, then the overhaul was expensive and you should have flown to 4000 hours anyway.

What makes the 4000 hour life part suddenly able to do a full second TBO period if you overhaul? Do they spray magic "life renewal elixir" on them or something? They are pieces of metal, you can't erase their operational history at overhaul.

Quote:
We had one set on a King Air 300 (not PK motors) that didn’t make TBO, they could have, but they were weak and starting to eat themselves so we overhauled them.

So you advocate operating on condition? Well, so do I.

Quote:
For the record, my advice when buying a -60A powered King Air or a JT15 powered jet is to buy something with really good engine times.

That will make any unplanned engine event that much more painful since you paid so much for the engine value.

If one of my engines goes belly up, and it is 92% the way through a TBO period, I haven't lost much value. I go get it overhauled and I'm back in the air. I bought a plane with the high time engines priced in properly. A had a full borescope on them, and a very good 5 point run ground check, made book speeds (actually a few knots over), and made it to FL450 at the max step weight in the manual. Everything checked out. So far, they have been fine.

Quote:
The cheapest airplane is almost never the best value.

This is consistent with your theory that cost equals value. It does not work out much of the time. It is easy to spend other people's money. If you were writing the checks, you might have a different take on this. The most expensive airplane is almost never the best value, either.

Paying more for an airplane has a lot of residual costs. Sales taxes are higher. Insurance is higher and at some hull value, becomes harder to get. Property taxes are higher. Cost of capital is higher. Your market downside risk is higher. And so forth. It isn't just the up front price difference you have to consider.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2023, 13:00 

WWW  Profile

Do any parts get refurbished at OH, or only replaced?

Most major parts, the bulk of the engine value, are reused. Some parts are replaced, like seals, gaskets, etc.

For example, the major parts are good for 12000 to 14000 cycles on my JT15D. This includes turbine wheels, impeller, etc. Some parts are "on condition" like HT blades, they can be used for as long as they pass inspection.

So my parts are rated to last several TBO periods depending on what your cycle to hour ratios are.

Modern airliners average about 20,000 hours to the first overhaul.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2023, 13:23 

Post Likes: +661
But those parts that are reused, are they refurbished in any way? Ground down, etc. I can see the argument in favor of overhaul, IF parts are refurbished in a way that may extend their life, or I can buy into the argument that if parts fail due to foregoing an OH that they may cause damage to other components that otherwise would have been fine thereby costing more in the long run. Collateral damage so to speak.

With respect to seals and gaskets, I assume those can be pretty important to the longevity of an engine. I tend to think of those items being susceptible to drying out or becoming brittle with (calendar) time. So perhaps calendar time between OH should be considered as well (just as a reasonable operator would do on piston engines).

I'm not advocating one way or the other, just trying to learn more so I can make my own judgment.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2023, 13:43 

WWW  Profile

But those parts that are reused, are they refurbished in any way?

Mostly they are inspected to see if they are within overhaul limits so they can be put back into the engine. None of that reverses the aging of the metal.

An overhaul description is here:

https://www.elliottaviation.com/aircraf ... -upgrades/

"During an engine overhaul, all portions of the engine are disassembled, cleaned, inspected, reassembled, tested (ensure the facility you will be using has an appropriate test cell to run the engine off-wing through all parameters) and shipped back to the installation agency."

Nothing in that list adds life to the part.

Quote:
With respect to seals and gaskets, I assume those can be pretty important to the longevity of an engine. I tend to think of those items being susceptible to drying out or becoming brittle with (calendar) time. So perhaps calendar time between OH should be considered as well (just as a reasonable operator would do on piston engines).

Mostly they are replaced because they are disturbed during disassembly and are one time use.

If a gasket or seal leaks, than that's an on condition repair.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2023, 18:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4413
Aircraft: B200, 500B
An overhaul may not add life to a part, but it can prevent it from being shortened.

If you have a bearing seal that’s near the end of life and it gets replaced during an overhaul but not during a hot section, then you have extended the life of the bearing by doing the overhaul.

Waiting until the seal fails risks ending the life of the bearing prematurely, and possibly damaging other parts as well when the bearing fails.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 18:13 

Post Likes: +341
Aircraft: Shopping
An overhaul may not add life to a part, but it can prevent it from being shortened.

If you have a bearing seal that’s near the end of life and it gets replaced during an overhaul but not during a hot section, then you have extended the life of the bearing by doing the overhaul.

Waiting until the seal fails risks ending the life of the bearing prematurely, and possibly damaging other parts as well when the bearing fails.

That risk gets run every time you start the engine. If the seal is at the end of its life at a magic hourly overhaul time, that part would then be life limited and replacement would be mandatory at every interval regardless of the overhaul period. Or the manufacturer did a really poor job in selecting the seal for the application and they are punitively requiring every engine owner pay for their poor engineering.

Nothing lasts forever and parts do wear out. Usually not at some magic number. Performance based engine analysis like the MORE program and others continue to dispel the belief that fixed TBO intervals are based on technical merits.

Believing in fixed time TBO's is like telling your doctor to schedule heart bypass surgery because you have achieved the average age to do so and going past that age will guarantee bypass and valve replacement.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 18:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4413
Aircraft: B200, 500B

That risk gets run every time you start the engine. If the seal is at the end of its life at a magic hourly overhaul time, that part would then be life limited and replacement would be mandatory at every interval regardless of the overhaul period. Or the manufacturer did a really poor job in selecting the seal for the application and they are punitively requiring every engine owner pay for their poor engineering.

Nothing lasts forever and parts do wear out. Usually not at some magic number. Performance based engine analysis like the MORE program and others continue to dispel the belief that fixed TBO intervals are based on technical merits.

Believing in fixed time TBO's is like telling your doctor to schedule heart bypass surgery because you have achieved the average age to do so and going past that age will guarantee bypass and valve replacement.

Anthony,

I think you misunderstand my point.

My piston engines are hundreds of hours past TBO and my turbine engines are thousands of hours past TBO. They were last overhauled 30 years ago. I'm not a "TBO OR DIE!" kinda guy. I think there is tremendous untapped value in past-TBO aircraft engines.

But I'm fooling myself if I think turbine engines will run forever. If turbine engines are run without overhaul indefinitely, then at some point they will fail due to lack of overhaul. Period. There's no avoiding it.

The question is - will that be in the owner's lifetime? Will the engines run for 5 more years or fifty? Because we don't have a lot of data for engines run thousands of hours and tens of year past TBO, we're not sure. Because many of us don't buy personal turbine aircraft until later in life, many owner-flown turbine engines will outlive their owners without overhaul.

Heart surgery is an overblown comparison, because our hearts aren't accessible with wrenches and we don't have new tickers made to the exact same standard sitting on a shelf. If we did, you can bet people would absolutely be swapping out hearts every forty years. Although overhaul itself introduces the possibility of maintenance-induced failure, at some point that risk is considerably lower than running a worn out part. None of us have a crystal ball, but we do have to choose an FAA-allowed maintenance plan for our engines. At least we have multiple choices.

As long as an owner is as educated as possible on the risks, then they can make intelligent decisions. I've made mine, and others get to make theirs.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 19:04 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7353
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Anthony,

I think you misunderstand my point.

My piston engines are hundreds of hours past TBO and my turbine engines are thousands of hours past TBO. They were last overhauled 30 years ago. I'm not a "TBO OR DIE!" kinda guy. I think there is tremendous untapped value in past-TBO aircraft engines.

But I'm fooling myself if I think turbine engines will run forever. If turbine engines are run without overhaul indefinitely, then at some point they will fail due to lack of overhaul. Period. There's no avoiding it.

The question is - will that be in the owner's lifetime? Will the engines run for 5 more years or fifty? Because we don't have a lot of data for engines run thousands of hours and tens of year past TBO, we're not sure. Because many of us don't buy personal turbine aircraft until later in life, many owner-flown turbine engines will outlive their owners without overhaul.

Overhaul itself introduces the possibility of maintenance-induced failure. None of us have a crystal ball, but we do have to choose an FAA-allowed maintenance plan for our engines. At least we have multiple choices.

As long as an owner is as educated as possible on the risks, then they can make intelligent decisions. I've made mine, and others get to make theirs.

This! 100%

Considering we helped clients buy two airplanes with past TBO engines this year, and helped Jim buy his, I think it is fair to say we're not against it either! Though Mike has tried to shape the argument as such... my point is exactly what Jim just said "As long as an owner is as educated as possible on the risks, then they can make intelligent decisions. I've made mine, and others get to make theirs."

The thing I have a problem with is people making statements like "you don't have to do overhauls, they'll be just fine" or basically "the greedy engine gods are just ripping you off" I think we do a severe disservice to the buying public when blanket and misleading statements are made about what you can or cannot do without providing all of the facts, and sadly the narrative is ruled by a bully who has ran off most of the industry professionals who would normally provide information based on experience instead of speculation.

The short answer is that yes you can run past TBO, and yes, just as Jim said you can unlock some real hidden value there. There are some other factors to consider, factors such as resale value, potential liability, perceived liability, what needs to be done to operate on condition correctly, what engines you should be careful to run past TBO, etc.

I think what is really lacking is an understanding of exactly what happens in an engine overhaul. Absent any engine experts, maybe Mike C. can chime in and answer that question for us.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 19:11 

Post Likes: +625
Aircraft: C180

Amen

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 22:04 

Post Likes: +9
Aircraft: Baron 58
Thanks for the interesting discussion. It’s confirmed my belief that going past TBO is quite feasible under the right conditions.
Now for the hard part, TBM, Meridian or JetProp….

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2023, 10:19 

WWW  Profile

The short answer is that yes you can run past TBO, and yes, just as Jim said you can unlock some real hidden value there. There are some other factors to consider, factors such as resale value, potential liability, perceived liability, what needs to be done to operate on condition correctly, what engines you should be careful to run past TBO, etc.

And the benefits of reduced hull value when it comes to purchase price, taxes, and insurance.

Just because you are under TBO doesn't mean you can't ignore engine condition, either. Past TBO is no extra stuff to do that you shouldn't be doing under TBO as well.

Quote:
I think what is really lacking is an understanding of exactly what happens in an engine overhaul.

Ask an engine shop. It isn't a secret, though getting an overhaul manual from Pratt is expensive.

Parts are removed, cleaned, inspected against criteria, and put back in if they pass. There is no magic life extending process in this (and indeed the life limited parts are just as life limited after the OH as before).

There are a few exotic things that can happen to extend life. There is a company that can take failing JT15D HT blades and make them pass through some regrowth process. I don't know how successful that is.

The fundamental fact is that the major engine parts last several TBO cycles under normal conditions. Turbine engines simply don't have a lot of wear, unlike piston engines. You can tell that from the oil sample results where the wear metals are hundreds of times less than piston oil. At the end of the day, the turbine engine is just a shaft turning on bearings, and that can run for a very long time.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2023, 11:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7353
Company: Jet Acquisitions

And the benefits of reduced hull value when it comes to purchase price, taxes, and insurance.

Just because you are under TBO doesn't mean you can't ignore engine condition, either. Past TBO is no extra stuff to do that you shouldn't be doing under TBO as well.

Quote:
I think what is really lacking is an understanding of exactly what happens in an engine overhaul.

Ask an engine shop. It isn't a secret, though getting an overhaul manual from Pratt is expensive.

Parts are removed, cleaned, inspected against criteria, and put back in if they pass. There is no magic life extending process in this (and indeed the life limited parts are just as life limited after the OH as before).

There are a few exotic things that can happen to extend life. There is a company that can take failing JT15D HT blades and make them pass through some regrowth process. I don't know how successful that is.

The fundamental fact is that the major engine parts last several TBO cycles under normal conditions. Turbine engines simply don't have a lot of wear, unlike piston engines. You can tell that from the oil sample results where the wear metals are hundreds of times less than piston oil. At the end of the day, the turbine engine is just a shaft turning on bearings, and that can run for a very long time.

Mike C.

So… a hot section cost $50k and an overhaul cost $500k and the only difference is that at overhaul they take all the parts out, clean them, inspect them and replace them?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2023, 11:04 

Post Likes: +3814
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
So… a hot section cost $50k and an overhaul cost $500k and the only difference is that at overhaul they take all the parts out, clean them, inspect them and replace them?

Don’t forget they give you a piece of paper that says overhaul on it.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2023, 13:27 

WWW  Profile

Basically correct.

The disassembly is extreme, the engine is taken apart completely and then has to be rebuilt completely.

It is actually a bit more labor than building it new since you the extra disassembly and cleaning tasks.

Many people, like yourself, think an overhaul makes the parts effectively "new" again. It doesn't.

Mike C.

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next