banner
banner

12 May 2024, 07:56 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Stevens Aerospace (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Took my Citation up to Tarvers today.
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2024, 14:09 

Post Likes: +1409
Aircraft: C501
Username Protected wrote:
It was after that I figured out my process to taxi on one engine and that has made a HUGE difference.

Chris, I noticed exactly the same thing.

I've actually shut the down the LE as soon as I clear the hold short line. I have power brakes, but why ride them.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2024, 17:45 

Post Likes: +1315
Aircraft: C501SP
It was after that I figured out my process to taxi on one engine and that has made a HUGE difference.

Chris, I noticed exactly the same thing.

I've actually shut the down the LE as soon as I clear the hold short line. I have power brakes, but why ride them.

Nice. I also taxi for departure on one engine (which engine depends on whether my first turn is a left or a right). I posted the question on here a while back and Terry M replied that the Garmin stuff will hold down to 9V (which makes sense since they need to work in 12V aircraft too). So I can start one engine, get my clearance, program all of my avionics, taxi out, and then start the second engine without losing my programming. That was a game changer.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2024, 23:08 

Nice. I also taxi for departure on one engine (which engine depends on whether my first turn is a left or a right).

I'm going to start doing that more often.

Man, I DO NOT miss piston engine runups. :dance: :dance:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2024, 00:30 

Post Likes: +359
Aircraft: 58P
John, this is a fascinating thread, thanks for posting. For curiosity sake, I plotted the same city pairs, same date & winds, to compare timing and fuel burn with the 58P.

Not an exact science, but over the same 3 legs, looks like around triple the gallons burned, and given allowance for the price delta at those 3 airports on 100LL vs Jet A, and reality of fuel cards, about double the dollars paid for fuel only. Much more comfort (and safety margin), and a little over 3 hours saved. My numbers could be off, but if remotely in the ballpark, that’s a bargain.

Would enjoy following along on more trips in the future, with TWs as well - it’s good propaganda for the missus. We usually cross the country in the P Baron in a single day - it makes for a long day.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2024, 09:01 

Post Likes: +4806
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
John, this is a fascinating thread, thanks for posting. For curiosity sake, I plotted the same city pairs, same date & winds, to compare timing and fuel burn with the 58P.

Not an exact science, but over the same 3 legs, looks like around triple the gallons burned, and given allowance for the price delta at those 3 airports on 100LL vs Jet A, and reality of fuel cards, about double the dollars paid for fuel only. Much more comfort (and safety margin), and a little over 3 hours saved. My numbers could be off, but if remotely in the ballpark, that’s a bargain.

Would enjoy following along on more trips in the future, with TWs as well - it’s good propaganda for the missus. We usually cross the country in the P Baron in a single day - it makes for a long day.

What I love about a 501 (and most jets) vs a turboprop or piston twin is staying out of the ice! This alone is a huge benefit and decrease in everyone's stress.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2024, 13:40 

Post Likes: +1209
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
Can’t beat the flexibility of a jet. Even a slow one.

Last week I went Provo to Waco for a meeting. Then Waco to Palm Springs for another meeting then back home. Was on top of weather the entire time.

Edit- the day before that I had 6 adults and lots of bags. Made it from Florida to UT west bound with one stop and was not even close to max gross. Two 800nm+ legs with lots of weight in the cabin. pretty impressive. Could have made it about 1000nm that day if I went max gross with that payload, into the winds.

Mike

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2024, 22:36 

Nick I came out of an Aerostar which (much like the 58P) is a very capable twin. I can tell you hands down the Citation is monumentally easier/safer to fly than a p-twin. You will never look back.

Also, as a data point I paid $4.31/gallon in Texas and $3.98/gallon in Tucson so the numbers are probably a bit better than you think.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2024, 11:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +784
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx

What I love about a 501 (and most jets) vs a turboprop or piston twin is staying out of the ice! This alone is a huge benefit and decrease in everyone's stress.

ahem... except for the Piaggio :cheers:

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Blackhawk (Banner)