banner
banner

27 Apr 2024, 21:05 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Is the overhead break an illegal maneuver?
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 00:23 

Post Likes: +272
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
Username Protected wrote:
I sure hope you never flew those big blocks in the rain!!

Yeah, I know, not everyone "buys into" the idea that shock cooling is real (and I have questions about it too since the sudden change in temperature happens the other way every time the engine is started). I'm sure rain cooled the cylinder fins a bit, but rain and snow seem to be about the same temperature as the air I'm flying through, so I didn't often see a huge drop on my CHT's even with the evaporative loss that I'm sure was happening.
Just wondering if the big radial are more or less susceptible.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 12:05 

Post Likes: +10795
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

Yeah, I know, not everyone "buys into" the idea that shock cooling is real (and I have questions about it too since the sudden change in temperature happens the other way every time the engine is started). I'm sure rain cooled the cylinder fins a bit, but rain and snow seem to be about the same temperature as the air I'm flying through, so I didn't often see a huge drop on my CHT's even with the evaporative loss that I'm sure was happening.

Probably no more than flat engines which in most applications see much lower cooling rates than some people think when you reduce power at approach speeds. If there is an issue with rapid cooling, it would only exist when you chop the power and dive at a high speed with no extra drag. There is an issue with radials where the bearing lubrication is marginal if you let the prop drive the engine.

But none of that should be an issue in an overhead break since the power reduction is the same or less than what you'd get in a "normal" pattern. Part of the concept is dissipating a big chunk of energy during the steep 180 from initial to downwind. With little or no throttle movement you get down to gear speed during the turn then drop the gear which adds about the same drag as you had in the turn.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 19:02 

Post Likes: +27
Aircraft: Bonanza G35

Piling on some Gs in the break rapidly increases induced drag which minimizes throttle pull. Additionally, cowl flaps can be closed to slow cooling. Right about the time you let off the Gs you throw out gear and flaps which replaces the induced drag with parasitic drag. A well flown overhead is very efficient and yea I’ve flown it with a heavy jet full of civilian pax (while not a civilian myself). It’s way faster than the ILS. I disagree with some of the other “tactical” reasons given, but that conversation requires a vault.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 19:28 

Post Likes: +10569
Aircraft: 182
A group of B52s arrived back at Biggs AAF in the middle of the night during a big air defense exercise. They all elected to do overheads, right turns, with the noise amplified by the echoes off the Franklin mountains. I was not involved and Biggs tower was closed for the night. My phone rang for 1.5 hours, and the B52s were invited to leave and never come back.

Boo on the whiners

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 21:52 

Post Likes: +2760
A group of B52s arrived back at Biggs AAF in the middle of the night during a big air defense exercise. They all elected to do overheads, right turns, with the noise amplified by the echoes off the Franklin mountains. I was not involved and Biggs tower was closed for the night. My phone rang for 1.5 hours, and the B52s were invited to leave and never come back.

Boo on the whiners

I'm guessing that doesn't happen on a Navy base. We loved the sound of arrivals/departures. the louder, the better.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 21:58 

Post Likes: +10795
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

Boo on the whiners

Shoulda told them that was the sound of freedom.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2023, 14:45 

Post Likes: +8782
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
Yeah, I know, not everyone "buys into" the idea that shock cooling is real (and I have questions about it too since the sudden change in temperature happens the other way every time the engine is started). I'm sure rain cooled the cylinder fins a bit, but rain and snow seem to be about the same temperature as the air I'm flying through,

It's not the temperature of the rain (or snow), it's something called the latent heat of vaporization.

When you look at how much heat a single raindrop absorbs when it splats on a cylinder head and sizzles, changing from liquid to steam (not counting any temperature rise) and you compare it to how much heat that cooling air absorbs as it passes through the cooling fins and along the rest of a piston engine, a couple raindrops absorb about as much heat as every cubic foot of dry cooling air- and even a light rain has several raindrops per cubic foot.

But as you mentioned, engine cooling is a lot more complicated than just the air that's passing through the cooling fins.

:cheers:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2024, 22:57 

Post Likes: +47
Aircraft: Beech T-34B Mentor
FAA has written on the overhead subject, I'll attach below. It's legal. I've flown it solo and in formation of 2-4 and upwards of 40 aircraft. All of this civilian aircraft, Yak, CJ6, T-6, Marchetti, T34, bonanza. It is quick to get formations on the ground and safe when flown correctly. The 45deg entry is safe if flown correctly and unsafe if not flown correctly.

Some aircraft T-34, etc. cruise at high speed relative to flap/gear extension speed. The Overhead allows them to make the turn to downwind (level 50-60deg level turn is in the PPL test standards right?) and reduce airspeed to gear/flap extension. Not going to get into shock cooling debates. But you go from cruise power to low power, drop gear/flaps, and are back on the power to maintain 90kts so shock cooling is not an issue.

Add that the solo OH is a great training maneuver for engine outs. Flown well with good energy management you are basically practicing for an engine out to full landing.

I'm not surprised this is on the 10th page, there is a lot back and forth which doesn't surprise me as I've heard both sides for over 25 years. I know there are more than a few at BeechTalk who fly the overhead regularly that are just not going to join in on the conversation. Also I've had more than 1 CFI/II call me out on the radio for the OH being illegal and unsafe to backoff when I show the attached FAA letter.

Can we agree that there are rude and unsafe pilots flying straight in, standard 45deg entry to downwind, OH, and other methods of getting on the ground? And can we agree there are safe, well mannered pilots flying all the approaches? :hide:

At a non-towered airport, I'll call 10 and 5 miles out for the 3 mile initial to the Overhead. I'll call at the 3 mile initial. Now, I've been on freq for a while and I'm listening for traffic and will adjust and mention that on the radio.

If there are people in the pattern I'll work around them. I'll come over the numbers at pattern altitude so I'm 800+ feet from someone short final. I'll look for non-radio planes as I move from initial to over the numbers and if there is someone not speaking on the radio I'll break behind them and call it on the radio.. If there are people in downwind, I'll break behind them and call it on the radio. It is about fitting in and as someone else said, not hitting anything. If it doesn't work, I'll divert and enter some other way.

Rigid flexibility is the key to success. :shrug:

BTW, I've flown formation into and out of FDK for years. It happens.

I try and respect how others want to fly their planes, straight in, straight and level, 45deg to downwind, descending teardrop into downwind, etc. I just ask the same in return. I'll communicate and work around others in the pattern.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Studies show that 78.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot.....

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 03:55 

Post Likes: +10527
Aircraft: Not in the cards
...level 50-60deg level turn is in the PPL test standards right?

No, it's actually, "...approximately a 45° bank...±5°."

Commercial is approximately 50° bank ±5°

Still and all, your well-reasoned and safe approach to executing the overhead maneuver won't be enough to convince those who don't know what they don't know.

BWTHDIK

:cheers:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 08:23 

Post Likes: +37
Aircraft: Aeronca 7AC
FYI, a USAF overhead is flown at pattern altitude until you roll off the perch for the descending 180 turn to final. Not high speed low over the approach end. The purpose is to get planes on the ground and less of a target. With keeping at pattern altitude, planes can be landing while you are in initial. Not possibly with low altitude initial.

And it is flown at normal cruise speed, not the speed of heat. But it can be done at higher speeds.

I remember standing outside the Q at UPT (Lauglin) under the T-37 pattern and being able to tell which class the student was in. The newest ones did the break, rolled wings level, then put down the gear and then the flaps, with a pause between the two.

The middle one had the gear coming down AS the rolled wings level. And flaps were immediate

Those about to move into the T-38, would be gear and flaps coming down together about midway through the turn. :D

Nice description of who was behind, with, and ahead of the airplane. :D

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 10:17 

Post Likes: +496
Aircraft: F33A TAT 550
Slightly off topic, but I find flying a "rounded" turn from downwind to final seems more natural in a pattern in a Bonanza.

Do you guys square your base and final turns?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 12:46 

Post Likes: +1165
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
It's mentioned a lot that the overhead is used by warbirds. Piston not jet.

How does the sudden power reduction work out with reverse loading the gearbox or master rod in a radial or inline engine? I always was taught to avoid this condition. And with the 421, Queenair, Beech 18 I made sure I kept the engines pulling or under positive load until very short final or the landing flare. Master rod failure from the crankshaft

Same for thrust bearings in big Lycoming or Continental singles. I was always taught wherever possible keep from reverse loading the crankshaft. Has this been proven to not be needed?

Even with turboprops I'm usually always in this condition until landing flare.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 12:51 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +19216
Company: Keybilly Adventures
Aircraft: P35, GC1B

How does the sudden power reduction work out with reverse loading the gearbox or master rod in a radial or inline engine? I always was taught to avoid this condition. And with the 421, Queenair, Beech 18 I made sure I kept the engines pulling or under positive load until very short final or the landing flare. Master rod failure from the crankshaft

Same for thrust bearings in big Lycoming or Continental singles. I was always taught wherever possible keep from reverse loading the crankshaft. Has this been proven to not be needed?

Most propellor planes have enormous energy bleed rates under G. It doesn't take very much to slow them down to gear speed, even at higher power settings. Also, since it's downhill from initial to the break, one does not necessarily need to be at WOT to make the break look good.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 16:11 

Post Likes: +2219
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90

At least in the 28, I don’t go “flight idle”. Just pull the power back to 20” or so and it works out great.

Using Gs to load up the airframe and slow it down is one of the benefits of the break. It lets you slow down without having to pull power way back. I can go from 200+ to 140 by reducing power (but not ‘under boosting’) and doing 180 degrees of turn at 50-60 degrees of bank. 140 is my gear and flap speed.

Robert

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 16:12 

Post Likes: +5254
Aircraft: V35A TC
this is great....no more base to final stalls. :peace:

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next