banner
banner

21 May 2024, 15:34 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Garmin International (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Is the overhead break an illegal maneuver?
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 20:20 

Post Likes: +113
Aircraft: King Air
Jeff,
So you're saying the overhead is the easy/lazy/cop-out way to arrive at the field?
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 22:59 

Post Likes: +509
Aircraft: F-35A, L-39, '74 B55
Username Protected wrote:
I recently heard from one of my former co-workers that management has decided to not allow any more overhead approaches at KAUS. This a result of the incident with the Citation and F18s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... ivate-jet/

We just did a couple overheads in the F-35 at both KLAL and KDAB, no issues with tower or any procedures. Both towers and related approaches were great to work with. At LAL, as with most civilian fields we generally try to pull our closed traffic or break on the opposite side of the normal GA downwind if it isn't a deconfliction problem for another runway. DAB was a little busy, but workable.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2024, 07:04 

Post Likes: +2791
We just did a couple overheads in the F-35 at both KLAL and KDAB, no issues with tower or any procedures. Both towers and related approaches were great to work with. At LAL, as with most civilian fields we generally try to pull our closed traffic or break on the opposite side of the normal GA downwind if it isn't a deconfliction problem for another runway. DAB was a little busy, but workable.

Ryan-
what's the profile when you do the overhead in the F35?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2024, 08:36 

Ryan-
what's the profile when you do the overhead in the F35?

“Normal Overhead” (as opposed to tac initial) is 300 KCAS / 1500AGL (or published), 5” spacing. ~80 deg @ 3G break. Roll out on downwind around 250, gear handle. 3 green, Perch at ~200KCAS / 60deg of bank. Generally, the perch point is right as the leading edge of the wing crosses the threshold. Final turn is ~60 deg bank, 8-9 deg nose low, power to hold about 11-13 AOA until about right prior to roll out and then pitch / power to exactly 13 AOA with FPM about ~100’ long of desired touchdown point.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2024, 09:01 

Post Likes: +2228
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90
of course it's legal. Some pilot's just can't manage energy and need a crutch. Like someone up above complaining about low gear speed in a T34. If you can't slow down a T34 and land without drama, that's a sign that it's time to quit flying and take up crochet.

Truly can’t tell if this was meant to be in green and you’re joking or not. If you're not joking, please re read the thread… and if you’re still confused let me know and I’ll repeat what I’ve said before about the break.

FYI, I teach transition training in warbirds and am a big fan of the break for a bunch of reasons.

Robert

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 15:22 

Post Likes: +95
Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
of course it's legal. Some pilot's just can't manage energy and need a crutch. Like someone up above complaining about low gear speed in a T34. If you can't slow down a T34 and land without drama, that's a sign that it's time to quit flying and take up crochet.

Truly can’t tell if this was meant to be in green and you’re joking or not. If you're not joking, please re read the thread… and if you’re still confused let me know and I’ll repeat what I’ve said before about the break.

FYI, I teach transition training in warbirds and am a big fan of the break for a bunch of reasons.

Robert

Robert, what's your -bunch of reasons? I'm just looking to learn, no judgement implied in my question. My introduction to the overhead break was during AT6 training at Stallion 51 and (like everything about that training) ...it was Super Cool! Seems like a very underutilized, and poorly understood or known, landing option specifically approved by the FAA.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 15:54 

Post Likes: +2649
Aircraft: 35-C33, A36
Seems like a very underutilized, and poorly understood or known, landing option specifically approved by the FAA.

I think you got it.

Leldon

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 18:05 

Post Likes: +11023
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

Robert

Robert, what's your -bunch of reasons? I'm just looking to learn, no judgement implied in my question. My introduction to the overhead break was during AT6 training at Stallion 51 and (like everything about that training) ...it was Super Cool! Seems like a very underutilized, and poorly understood or known, landing option specifically approved by the FAA.

IMO the primary rationale for overhead patterns is to land from a formation flight expeditiously. When done solo it's either because it's fun to do something different, it's good practice for the same thing in a formation, or (typically in a warbird) it's entertaining to (some) other pilots and aviation enthusiasts.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 18:39 

Post Likes: +156
Aircraft: 1974 B55, 1979 M20K
When properly done solo it's to ensure you are always within gliding distance of the airport while in landing configuration.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 18:49 

IMO the primary rationale for overhead patterns is to land from a formation flight expeditiously. When done solo it's either because it's fun to do something different, it's good practice for the same thing in a formation, or (typically in a warbird) it's entertaining to (some) other pilots and aviation enthusiasts.

You're right it is expeditious for formations. For single ship, it is also a fairly good practice in energy management. From my understanding of military history, the overhead came to be out of necessity in WW1. The approach to landing was the most vulnerable point where another aircraft could be shot down by another aircraft. Therefore, the fighter kept speed up to check 6 (the break), and then did an expedited turn to land (off the perch). It also proved be advantageous to aircraft with less than reliable motors.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 20:16 

You're right it is expeditious for formations. For single ship, it is also a fairly good practice in energy management. From my understanding of military history, the overhead came to be out of necessity in WW1. The approach to landing was the most vulnerable point where another aircraft could be shot down by another aircraft. Therefore, the fighter kept speed up to check 6 (the break), and then did an expedited turn to land (off the perch). It also proved be advantageous to aircraft with less than reliable motors.

I did mention practice as a reason to fly one solo (BTDT). Last time I checked, very few civilian airplanes have been shot down in the pattern inside our boarders. Unless you perform the entire approach with the engine off, there's a pretty good chance you're exposed to an off runway landing if your engine quits at the worst possible moment, I don't thing overhead break approaches impact that very much, especially if you're required to start the break near either end of a short runway.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with practicing a solo overhead break when it can be done without undue impact on other traffic, especially at a towered field.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 22:02 

Post Likes: +156
Aircraft: 1974 B55, 1979 M20K
I did mention practice as a reason to fly one solo (BTDT). Last time I checked, very few civilian airplanes have been shot down in the pattern inside our boarders. Unless you perform the entire approach with the engine off, there's a pretty good chance you're exposed to an off runway landing if your engine quits at the worst possible moment, I don't thing overhead break approaches impact that very much, especially if you're required to start the break near either end of a short runway.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with practicing a solo overhead break when it can be done without undue impact on other traffic, especially at a towered field.

I know you weren't responding to me, but notice I said "airport" and not "runway." It is preferred to start the break at the approach end.

Once you get used to it, it's uncomfortable to fly a "normal" pattern in a SE airplane. :cheers:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 10:44 

Post Likes: +2228
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90

Cousin Johnson -

Apologies for the delay in responding... Ironically part of the delay is that I was teaching a couple of new warbird owners how to fly the break (and the airplane itself!).

Several other people have answered, but I'll repeat some of what they said with perhaps a little additional color.

- Warbird engines are old and can be cantankerous. Being over the runway with plenty of energy can be a safety issue - I'm confident that if I'm over the numbers at 200kts and 1000ft I can land the plane on the runway if I lose the engine when I reduce power.

- Similarly, we teach "high key" as an engine out procedure in the T28 - Basically you want to be over the point of landing at 2500ft and 130kts (best glide speed) with a dead engine and it's a continuous descending turn to the runway. No, a "break" is not a "high key", but they are similar and I believe there is benefit to flying the break if you end up needing to do a real or precautionary landing from the high key position.

- Warbirds aren't particularly speed compatible with most piston engine single trainers. Yes, I can fly at 100kts in the T28 but it's not ideal... Coming in for a standard 45/downwind/base pattern entry at 100kts behind a 152 means if I lose an engine I'm in a field, lower visibility, less controllability, etc. Have I done it in certain situations? Sure. Do I want to normally? No.

- Fitting into the pattern. Similar to the above, a warbird can often cause a traffic issue in a pattern full of trainers (common at my home field). When I time my break well I can fit into the flow better and be on the deck quickly. Not uncommonly I'll break over one plane on the runway while another is turning crosswind. I'll break and clear the runway well before the trainer that was on crosswind is on final.

- Speed management. Gear and flap speeds in the T28 are 140 knots. Can I slow down to that speed for a "normal" pattern entry? Sure. Easier/better/safer to go from 200kts to 140kts by doing a 180 degree 2g turn.

- Practice for formation flying. Landing from the break is essentially the only way to recover a flight of airplanes. If you ever want to fly formation, learning how to fly the break and it being second nature will make for one less thing you have to focus/stress about when learning formation.

- It looks cool. I debated putting this on the list... Yes, the overhead break looks cool and is fun to fly. Not a safety reason at all... However, for those of us who fly in the airshow environment the "looks cool" part is part of the performance so practicing the break so that we can fly it proficiently at shows is important.

Robert

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 11:54 

Post Likes: +2791
- It looks cool. I debated putting this on the list... Yes, the overhead break looks cool and is fun to fly. Not a safety reason at all... However, for those of us who fly in the airshow environment the "looks cool" part is part of the performance so practicing the break so that we can fly it proficiently at shows is important.

Robert

I'll bite- this plus the FAA letter and I'm satisfied that my question's been answered.
break on!

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 16:35 

Robert

I'll bite- this plus the FAA letter and I'm satisfied that my question's been answered.
break on!

Well said, Gary. Asking questions is one of the best ways to learn thing provided you're willing to hear the answers.

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

PWI, Inc. (Banner)