banner
banner

27 Apr 2024, 13:01 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Is the overhead break an illegal maneuver?
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 16:20 

Post Likes: +908
Aircraft: Aerostar
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight ... /KPHF/KPHF

Just did one.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 00:52 

Post Likes: +113
Aircraft: King Air
:cheers:
Username Protected wrote:
It's mentioned a lot that the overhead is used by warbirds. Piston not jet.

I am not understanding what you're trying to say.
But the jet warbirds use the overhead almost exclusively.

The vast majority of my "warbird" flying is done at towered airports... and by definition, well within the regulations. "Works great, lasts long time."

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 09:11 

Post Likes: +1165
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
Nothing to do with regulations, jets or towers. Just wondering about piston engine treatment during low MP and high indicated airspeeds with sudden power reductions. There are a lot of variations in techniques apparently but with some mentioning idle power and pulling to bleed off speed after near VNE arrival. It just goes against everything I've ever been taught, read or practiced for getting good service from piston engines. Flat, round, geared, turbocharged etc. Thrust bearing problems. Detuning counterweights. Quill shaft failures, Supercharger problems. These all were concerns.

I've always used slow power reductions sometimes over many min descending from high altitude and avoided reverse loading the propeller and crankshaft. Minimize temp rate of change where possible and usually positive load on the crank all the way to the flare. But I watch geared large radials and V12s make formation breaks at airshows so I was just wondering how this works out. For example I found warm weather 160 mph descent from 12,500 maintaining 20" and 1800 RPM popped cylinder heads off the barrels on the Beech 18 but 24" did not. This was after a fairly long jump run at low power which should have helped stabilize everything after the climb. CHT was just fine during climb. Jump club switched pilots after I was flying it after a few hundred hours and went back to 20" for descent. Cylinder head to barrel failures followed soon after. It was not the cylinders it was the operation of the engines causing the failures.

But formation slot pilots seem to be all over the place with power settings sometimes violently to hold position so I guess it's not really an issue. Or is this masked by using a shorter TBO?

If it works it works. I'm not changing how I operate but just curious about the thought process.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 09:45 

Post Likes: +3704
Company: FAA Flight Check
Aircraft: King Air 300F/C90GTx
Nothing to do with regulations, jets or towers. Just wondering about piston engine treatment during low MP and high indicated airspeeds with sudden power reductions. There are a lot of variations in techniques apparently but with some mentioning idle power and pulling to bleed off speed after near VNE arrival. It just goes against everything I've ever been taught, read or practiced for getting good service from piston engines. Flat, round, geared, turbocharged etc. Thrust bearing problems. Detuning counterweights. Quill shaft failures, Supercharger problems. These all were concerns.

I've always used slow power reductions sometimes over many min descending from high altitude and avoided reverse loading the propeller and crankshaft. Minimize temp rate of change where possible and usually positive load on the crank all the way to the flare. But I watch geared large radials and V12s make formation breaks at airshows so I was just wondering how this works out. For example I found warm weather 160 mph descent from 12,500 maintaining 20" and 1800 RPM popped cylinder heads off the barrels on the Beech 18 but 24" did not. This was after a fairly long jump run at low power which should have helped stabilize everything after the climb. CHT was just fine during climb. Jump club switched pilots after I was flying it after a few hundred hours and went back to 20" for descent. Cylinder head to barrel failures followed soon after. It was not the cylinders it was the operation of the engines causing the failures.

But formation slot pilots seem to be all over the place with power settings sometimes violently to hold position so I guess it's not really an issue. Or is this masked by using a shorter TBO?

If it works it works. I'm not changing how I operate but just curious about the thought process.

Sounds like it could be a difference in missions requiring different operating techniques, which may in the end be tougher on one set of engines than another requiring more maintenance or even changing out components or entire engines at different times.
Ron Fellows drives the same C8 Stingrays that I do, but their cars require a whole different level of maintenance than mine. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 09:53 

Post Likes: +1165
Company: Skyhaven Airport Inc
Aircraft: various mid century
I guess in the descriptions of various break techniques maybe clarify if your flying a Jet or piston. It makes a difference in how to manage power settings.

Roberts description of the T-28 MP setting and speeds was a good example

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 12:18 

Post Likes: +10780
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

The medium term average power doesn't change much during most formation flying and brief adjustments to power can't cause rapid CHT changes even if you're concerned about shock cooling. There are times when large rapid throttle movement occurs but that's generally the result of someone making a mistake. AFaIK the only undesirable consequence of rapid throttle movement is a slight increase in wear on the pins supporting the torsional vibration dampers on the crankshaft. Such actions also "detune" the dampers briefly which could increase the torsional stress in the crank but that takes time to build up too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2024, 21:12 

Post Likes: +2750
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
I was digging through some old files that came with the SNJ we bought. I found this gem from an early 90’s issue of Warbirds Magazine that seemed relevant. Should be the last word on the matter, but I’m certain it won’t be. :)

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Is the carrier break an illegal maneuver?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2024, 12:24 

Post Likes: +638
Company: B777, 767, 757, 727, MD11, S80
Aircraft: Thrush S2R, AC500B,
The military has waivers for speeds in the civilian airport environment. Don't know that those apply to a private operator absent Airshow airspace if someone chose to make your life difficult.

I’m not referencing anything but memory, exceeding 250 below ten is an aircraft requirement not a military free pass. DC 10, MD 11 clean min maneuver speed exceeds 250 so do some other planes. That makes it legal.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2024, 15:06 

Post Likes: +27
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
You are correct, in the MD11 we exceed 250 below 10 at higher gross weights. In the USAF we could only exceed 250 below 10 when needed for aircraft performance. Overseas you could often get clearance for high speed below ten and then we could come up initial as fast as we wanted. Of course, if you were too obnoxious, the base commander could close the overhead pattern. Happened at Incirlik when some Marine EA-6bs came up initial at close to 500 knots at 2 am. Overhead NOTAMed closed the next day. EA-6bs have got to be among the most obnoxiously annoying sounding jets I’ve ever heard. Aside from the Tweet.

Post subject: Re: Is the carrier break an illegal maneuver?
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2024, 16:24 

Post Likes: +1016
I get the speeds- that's obvious.

i was asking more from the standpoint of the dynamics of it (ie., if you exceed 60' angle of bank in the turn, high rate of turn, etc). could it ever be called "careless and reckless?"

Probably a lot depends on the plane and pilot. I have attached a couple of really crude photos (copied from a DVD made from a VHS tape many years ago) taken from the back seat of Bob Love's P-51 as we were approaching Livermore. It was really bumpy (so the video quality is terrible) and he signaled with his left hand that he was going to do an overhead break (which he always did coming home in his Mustang). This was in May of 1986 after a 30 minute ride. He pulled up so sharply I saw spots before my eyes.

I should upload the video to Youtube someday and post the link here.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2024, 18:40 

Post Likes: +7958
Aircraft: OPA
I recently heard from one of my former co-workers that management has decided to not allow any more overhead approaches at KAUS. This a result of the incident with the Citation and F18s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... ivate-jet/

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2024, 23:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1587
Company: Roberts Air Services
Aircraft: G35 / Acroduster
I recently heard from one of my former co-workers that management has decided to not allow any more overhead approaches at KAUS. This a result of the incident with the Citation and F18s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... ivate-jet/

Geeezzz.. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 09:55 

Post Likes: +1016

Hit a paywall with this...

Dan

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 10:09 

Post Likes: +10780
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
The pilot of a private jet took evasive action to avoid a fighter plane last month as both tried to land at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The aircraft came within 200 feet of one another, according to a preliminary FAA account seen by The Washington Post. The FAA said in a statement that it is investigating the incident, in which the fighter plane also flew near a runway that a small propeller-powered aircraft was using to take off.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Last edited on 03 Apr 2024, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 10:14 

Post Likes: +22971
Aircraft: A33
of course it's legal. Some pilot's just can't manage energy and need a crutch. Like someone up above complaining about low gear speed in a T34. If you can't slow down a T34 and land without drama, that's a sign that it's time to quit flying and take up crochet.

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next