Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Best business jets?
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 10:26 

Post Likes: +3616
Aircraft: Piper M600
Username Protected wrote:
Most people will choose the 4 hour non stop. I would, and I do.

Mike C.

On a good weather day, leaving early in the morning, a fuel stop in a turbine is pretty much a non-issue. Although it always adds more time to the trip than you would think. Get people out of the plane, and they start wandering around, talking to people, writing e-mails, Tik-Tok-Facebookagramming. The fuel truck may have 2 in front of you, and the line for departure may be 5 deep. So I count on an hour lost if I have to stop with pax.

A fuel stop later in the day.... in bad weather, is not easy. 2 legit briefings, planning for first maybe even second alternates, convection can shut down your preferred fuel stop terminals. Been there and done that.

But I have more experience with this than many, because my plane is sloooow and has really long legs and I routinely fill most or all of my seats on long trips.

To the person, when I offer a stop midway or non-stop, my pax always want non-stop. Even if the trip is very long.

Going to Wally-world. Kids are non-stop for sure ;-)

I remember this flight. Had to work the morning, so a late departure. FBO closed at 9PM. If I had to make a fuel stop would have gotten there after FBO closure with no rental car, no bathroom, and some hungry kids. I was 17 minutes late, but they were tracking me, and a jet landing some time behind me was kind enough to pay for call out service anyway. ;-)

I usually make my flights to the coast of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, some of our favorite beach destinations non stop. If I am heavy and have to leave too much fuel behind, we will make a stop along the way. Coming back always one stop.

Attachment:
KOGD KORL 021420 image.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 11:19 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
To the person, when I offer a stop midway or non-stop, my pax always want non-stop. Even if the trip is very long.

That's my experience, too.

Quote:
I remember this flight.

Going east is so much easier, usually decent tail wind.

Quote:
Coming back always one stop.

That's expected. Headwinds are a bummer.

In winter headwinds to the west coast, I usually need a fuel stop. Otherwise, summer or winter going east, non stop.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 11:28 

WWW  Profile

Yes, I have published the costs of maintenance of our managed Mustang on various threads here.

Show me your spreadsheet.

Quote:
I mentioned it has averaged only 1 unexpected mx event per year.

3 years in, just one for me so far.

Quote:
It looks like you spent $43,000 in parts/mx on your V according to your post.

Correct. Phase 1-4 (which lasts 3 years) and an ACM overhaul were the major expenses, both have usefulness well past one year.

Quote:
As stated in this thread and others IF it fits your mission it is great.

Exactly. The Mustang mission profile favors trips of 700 nm or less. Not a long range airplane, not a fast airplane. I wonder why people are upset about those statement if they are true?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 12:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7350
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Mike,

What did you think of the Mustang cockpit?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 12:21 

Post Likes: +302
Aircraft: M20J/R, Sr22, SR20
Most people will choose the 4 hour non stop. I would, and I do.

Mike C.

On a good weather day, leaving early in the morning, a fuel stop in a turbine is pretty much a non-issue. Although it always adds more time to the trip than you would think. Get people out of the plane, and they start wandering around, talking to people, writing e-mails, Tik-Tok-Facebookagramming. The fuel truck may have 2 in front of you, and the line for departure may be 5 deep. So I count on an hour lost if I have to stop with pax.

A fuel stop later in the day.... in bad weather, is not easy. 2 legit briefings, planning for first maybe even second alternates, convection can shut down your preferred fuel stop terminals. Been there and done that.

But I have more experience with this than many, because my plane is sloooow and has really long legs and I routinely fill most or all of my seats on long trips.

Going to Wally-world. Kids are non-stop for sure ;-)

I remember this flight. Had to work the morning, so a late departure. FBO closed at 9PM. If I had to make a fuel stop would have gotten there after FBO closure with no rental car, no bathroom, and some hungry kids. I was 17 minutes late, but they were tracking me, and a jet landing some time behind me was kind enough to pay for call out service anyway. ;-)

I usually make my flights to the coast of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, some of our favorite beach destinations non stop. If I am heavy and have to leave too much fuel behind, we will make a stop along the way. Coming back always one stop.

Attachment:
KOGD KORL 021420 image.jpg

Chuck, is the 6 hours in the air!!!??

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 09:51 

WWW  Profile

It is a pretty regular occurrence on CJP for Mustang owners to talk about a parts shortage. There are very few Mustangs in salvage and virtually no parts on the 500 or 525 series fits them. The plane is out of production so it doesn't mean parts are on the shelf just because it is newer. It is a unicorn airplane.

Recent case was pre coolers. They were failing at a high rate and Textron had no stock. Some planes ended up grounded for many months waiting for parts.

A quote from CJP:

"As soon as I am airworthy with this plane I will be switching aircraft, 10-11 months AOG Textron doesn’t care anymore I am furious beyond words."

Buying a Mustang means you live in a special place on the parts ecosystem. Mustang parts are unique, all the planes generally have issues that occur at the same time and create synchronize shortages, and the plane is out of production so new parts aren't not in steady production. It seems Textron is not very good at anticipating what parts will be needed and keeping them in stock.

Every rose has its thorns.

Chip knows this about the Mustang despite his endorsement, he tried to find these pre coolers for a client and failed.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 09:55 

WWW  Profile

It looks like you spent $43,000 in parts/mx on your V according to your post. We have NEVER spent that much in 1 year at West Star with the Mustang.

Are you on any programs?

PowerAdvantage, ProParts, ProTech, etc?

Or are you operating "naked"?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 10:33 

Post Likes: +3616
Aircraft: Piper M600

Chuck, is the 6 hours in the air!!!??

Yeah, if you look at the flight profile, I had a headwind the first part of the trip. Crazy how many times I am leaving to the east with a headwind. But I have many flights over 6 hours. Utah to Fl is typically 5 something hours for me, but don't always get lucky. If you are into performance, going into a headwind or heavy, you are better off flying a little faster, and then as you get lighter and tailwinds backing off the power a little to get max range. Here is my longest flight so far. Anchorage to just North of SLC. I think I could have made northern AZ with no alternate IFR reserve, but got me door to door home way faster than commercial ever could. 1865 nm in 6:45. Had a headwind the first half of the trip. Go figure. Interesting thing about that trip was that from PANC all the way to Boise ID, my alternate, was LIFR and icing. So a fuel stop, while possible, would have been not for the faint of heart. But I was on top the whole way. Heard several commercial ops in lower AK and Canada going missed.

Attachment:
PANC KOGD 032918-2.jpg

Beautiful views of AK :thumbdown:

Attachment:
1 (62).jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 10:44 

WWW  Profile

It is a pretty regular occurrence on CJP for Mustang owners to talk about a parts shortage. There are very few Mustangs in salvage and virtually no parts on the 500 or 525 series fits them. The plane is out of production so it doesn't mean parts are on the shelf just because it is newer. It is a unicorn airplane.

Recent case was pre coolers. They were failing at a high rate and Textron had no stock. Some planes ended up grounded for many months waiting for parts.

Chip knows this about the Mustang despite his endorsement, he tried to find these pre coolers for a client and failed.

Mike C.

Precoolers were not a Mustang specific issue, it effected all of the later Citations.

You never did say what you thought of the Mustang cockpit?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 10:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +237
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
It looks like you spent $43,000 in parts/mx on your V according to your post. We have NEVER spent that much in 1 year at West Star with the Mustang.

Are you on any programs?

PowerAdvantage, ProParts, ProTech, etc?

Or are you operating "naked"?

Mike C.

We are on PowerAdvantage+. The owner wanted proparts against my advice. We had that for the first 3 years, had a huge surplus at the end of the contract, cancelled and have been great on our own since then. Never protech, I am not aware of any citation owners on that program. I'm vocal against proparts with all of my clients.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 10:54 

WWW  Profile

Precoolers were not a Mustang specific issue

The Mustang pre coolers are not the same PN as the 525 series, so they were unique to the Mustang.

Quote:
it effected all of the later Citations.

Not nearly as bad. The 525 series has a longer production run, more parts were made, more used parts were available, and the fleet part demand wasn't so concentrated due to Mustangs being made over a fairly sort number of years.

Being unique is nice, but it comes with issues.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 11:08 

WWW  Profile

Precoolers were not a Mustang specific issue

The Mustang pre coolers are not the same PN as the 525 series, so they were unique to the Mustang.

Quote:
it effected all of the later Citations.

Not nearly as bad. The 525 series has a longer production run, more parts were made, more used parts were available, and the fleet part demand wasn't so concentrated due to Mustangs being made over a fairly sort number of years.

Being unique is nice, but it comes with issues.

Mike C.

Mike,

Once again you are comparing what I know against what you read on the internet.

I would explain but I don't have time.

Plus, you never did answer my question about the Mustang cockpit.

You don't realize it, but the reason I am bringing up the Mustang is because I know you don't like it. I'm not biased towards any aircraft, but I do defend those that are mischaracterized by people who have never even rode in one.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 11:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +237
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
I don’t have time for this either, but in a fun little exercise pulling the precooler pn’s from my traxxall maintenance tracking program.

The 525 (CJ/CJ1) is - 9914402-6 Total models produced: 557
The 525A (CJ2/CJ2+) is 9914402-04 Total Models Produced: 465

They produced 478 Mustangs

So they actually have less aircraft (CJ2/CJ2+) with a unique part requirement than the Mustang.

And yes, in 2016-2018 when this SB hit the 525 series there was a massive backup on precoolers.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 12:35 

WWW  Profile

I don’t have time for this either, but in a fun little exercise pulling the precooler pn’s from my traxxall maintenance tracking program.

The 525 (CJ/CJ1) is - 9914402-6 Total models produced: 557
The 525A (CJ2/CJ2+) is 9914402-04 Total Models Produced: 465

They produced 478 Mustangs

So they actually have less aircraft (CJ2/CJ2+) with a unique part requirement than the Mustang.

And yes, in 2016-2018 when this SB hit the 525 series there was a massive backup on precoolers.

Thanks Corey, you are a gentleman and a scholar! It takes a lot of work to correct all of the inaccurate information being shared on Beechtalk and I appreciate the help!

And if I'm not mistaken, it's the same precooler for the Phenom 100 series, so that's another 401 airplanes.

It's sounds like there are more "Mustang" precoolers than just about anything else.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 14:34 

WWW  Profile

The 525 (CJ/CJ1) is - 9914402-6

In stock.

Quote:
The 525A (CJ2/CJ2+) is 9914402-4

In stock.

The 525 SB situation was never as dire as the Mustang one. Vendors selling current production parts for the 525 as far more proactive than resurrecting stuff they haven't made in a decade.

If you buy a Mustang, you are in a different ecosystem when it comes to parts. A lot of stuff is unique versus much of the 500 or 525 line.

Mike C.

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next