banner
banner

08 May 2024, 15:25 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Stevens Aerospace (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Celebrating the 500th Vision Jet
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 11:30 

Post Likes: +682
Aircraft: PA23-250
Username Protected wrote:
Seems the religion is Mike smart everyone else stupid.

So far, 500+ customers have forked over about $1.5 billion dollars for a best-selling, but apparently questionable product, that they've been fooled into buying.

Surely there is a class-action lawsuit brewing...

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 11:32 

Post Likes: +4659
The customers were sold a false religion.

Lots of bad products are market successes this way.

That doesn't make the single jet the better product. It is telling that essentially the entire customer base are piston pilots who don't know better. Nobody who understands jets are buying these things.

Mike C.

Are you a diehard android user or do you embrace apple? Just curious

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 11:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7410
Company: Jet Acquisitions
:coffee:

That doesn't make the single jet the better product. It is telling that essentially the entire customer base are piston pilots who don't know better. Nobody who understands jets are buying these things.

Mike C.

Are you a diehard android user or do you embrace apple? Just curious

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 12:14 

Post Likes: +1311
Aircraft: C501SP
That Cirrus could have added a second engine and made a better plane is missing the point. The idea wasn't to create the best plane, it was to create a step up product for their existing customers.

Cirrus's whole goal is to keep customers in the Cirrus ecosystem. Keep in mind this is a company that successfully lobbied the FAA to change the Commercial pilot requirements to drop retractable gear so that their customers wouldn't have to lower themselves to fly an Arrow. (Which I kinda understand....I did my commercial in an Arrow it was a real turd.) They weren't going to go out and develop their own piston twin and the last thing they wanted was to force customers to slum around in a Seminole just to check a box on a way to the next Cirrus wunderkind.

My old Garmin rep had a lot of SR22 time and Cirrus let him fly a SF50. He flew it right out of the box. Brilliant! They created the perfect plane for their customers. It may not be for you and me, but that wasn't the goal.

This is key. Buying a Cirrus isn't about buying an airplane. You are buying into a lifestyle/ecosystem. Everything from the plane to maintenance to training to even socializing (my Cirrus club had regular social activities throughout the year) is handled for you. You write one check and they handle engine and airframe programs, DB updates, etc. Like Dennis said, it's not for everyone, but it's clearly for some people.

As Dennis said I do think that the current MEL regs will work against Cirrus building a twin jet. They do not want to send their customers to another school to get their MEL (I went to ATP and knocked mine out in 5 days). I think they will just use larger and larger singles as the airframe grows.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 12:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7410
Company: Jet Acquisitions
That Cirrus could have added a second engine and made a better plane is missing the point. The idea wasn't to create the best plane, it was to create a step up product for their existing customers.

Cirrus's whole goal is to keep customers in the Cirrus ecosystem. Keep in mind this is a company that successfully lobbied the FAA to change the Commercial pilot requirements to drop retractable gear so that their customers wouldn't have to lower themselves to fly an Arrow. (Which I kinda understand....I did my commercial in an Arrow it was a real turd.) They weren't going to go out and develop their own piston twin and the last thing they wanted was to force customers to slum around in a Seminole just to check a box on a way to the next Cirrus wunderkind.

My old Garmin rep had a lot of SR22 time and Cirrus let him fly a SF50. He flew it right out of the box. Brilliant! They created the perfect plane for their customers. It may not be for you and me, but that wasn't the goal.

This is key. Buying a Cirrus isn't about buying an airplane. You are buying into a lifestyle/ecosystem. Everything from the plane to maintenance to training to even socializing (my Cirrus club had regular social activities throughout the year) is handled for you. You write one check and they handle engine and airframe programs, DB updates, etc. Like Dennis said, it's not for everyone, but it's clearly for some people.

As Dennis said I do think that the current MEL regs will work against Cirrus building a twin jet. They do not want to send their customers to another school to get their MEL (I went to ATP and knocked mine out in 5 days). I think they will just use larger and larger singles as the airframe grows.

Many Cirrus owners will end up with a twin rating when they move out of the Cirrus line, my question is can that be done in a TF-55 or whatever Cirrus might call a twin engine jet.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 13:39 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23625
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
As Dennis said I do think that the current MEL regs will work against Cirrus building a twin jet. They do not want to send their customers to another school to get their MEL

They don't have to. They could do it in the their sims as part of the type initial.

There are cases people have gotten their private pilot's license in a Citation. Odd, but true.

Quote:
I think they will just use larger and larger singles as the airframe grows.

To get real range, speed, utility, they need to go higher, and that is most easily done with two engines due to regulatory hurdles. It gets really hard to certify a single at FL410 due to lack of pressurization redundancy.

The basic design of the Eclipse EA500 is an existence proof. FL410, 370 KTAS, less fuel and longer range than the SF50, with thrust and power redundancy.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 13:47 

Post Likes: +502
Aircraft: C510
As Dennis said I do think that the current MEL regs will work against Cirrus building a twin jet. They do not want to send their customers to another school to get their MEL

They don't have to. They could do it in the their sims as part of the type initial.

There are cases people have gotten their private pilot's license in a Citation. Odd, but true.

Quote:
I think they will just use larger and larger singles as the airframe grows.

To get real range, speed, utility, they need to go higher, and that is most easily done with two engines due to regulatory hurdles. It gets really hard to certify a single at FL410 due to lack of pressurization redundancy.

The basic design of the Eclipse EA500 is an existence proof. FL410, 370 KTAS, less fuel and longer range than the SF50, with thrust and power redundancy.

Mike C.

Not sure you can get your MEL rating that way anymore. I did mine in the Mustang, but I believe the requirements have changed

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:27 

Post Likes: +222
Aircraft: C182-S
A perfectly example of an engineer understanding math but not the customers or the market.

Mike C.

Wow...you didn't have to hike your skirt up even higher so we could see the color of your panties...we already knew.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:37 

Post Likes: +901

It is telling that essentially the entire customer base are piston pilots who don't know better. Nobody who understands jets are buying these things.

Mike C.

A friend of mine took early retirement as a 787 Captain and bought an SF-50. I will put him in touch with you so you can edemucate him.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:41 

You can't get an MEL rating in a jet any more. I hadn't thought about the sim route - do they make Level C/D Seminole sims? :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:48 

You cannot get an MEL rating in a jet. Feathering a prop is part of the ACS and must be simulated. There is no way to do that in a jet.

Simulated zero thrust is an acceptable alternative, I did my ride in the DA-42 which has FADEC controlling feathering, so we used the zero thrust setting which the examiner agreed he would set and verify for me, though I was PIC on the ride

KA training was similar, autofeather did its thing, then we ran checklist and shut the engine down to verify, then we did an air start

So, are you sure?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:58 

You cannot get an MEL rating in a jet. Feathering a prop is part of the ACS and must be simulated. There is no way to do that in a jet.

Simulated zero thrust is an acceptable alternative, I did my ride in the DA-42 which has FADEC controlling feathering, so we used the zero thrust setting which the examiner agreed he would set and verify for me, though I was PIC on the ride

KA training was similar, autofeather did its thing, then we ran checklist and shut the engine down to verify, then we did an air start

So, are you sure?

The ACS states that you must demonstrate the ability to identify, verify, and (simulate) feathering. If the computer does it for you then it does it for you. Establishing zero thrust is part of the ACS
Quote:
The applicant demonstrates the ability to:
Set the engine controls, reduce drag, identify and verify the inoperative engine, and simulate feathering of the propeller on the inoperative engine. (Evaluator should then establish zero thrust on the inoperative engine)

But there is no concept of feathering at all in a jet so those tasks cannot be completed.

Here's another excerpt from the ACS:
Quote:
The applicant must supply an airplane that does not prohibit the demonstration of feathering the propeller in flight. However, an applicant holding an unrestricted AMEL rating may take a practical test for the addition of an AMES rating in an AMES without propeller feathering capability. Practical tests conducted in a flight simulation training device (FSTD) can only be accomplished as part of an approved curriculum or training program. Any limitations or powerplant failure will be noted in that program.

By definition a jet prohibits the demonstration of feathering a propeller in flight. This was what was explained to me 2 years ago when I was moving from the SR22 to 501. I had to spend 5 days at ATP learning how to fly a Seminole only to try and quickly forget everything I had just learned....

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 15:09 

I had to spend 5 days at ATP learning how to fly a Seminole only to try and quickly forget everything I had just learned....

Ouch...the DA42 was about 2.5days, and a pleasure to fly, expensive though....but 3 more training days would have been more expensive to me

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 15:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23625
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Ouch...the DA42 was about 2.5days, and a pleasure to fly, expensive though....but 3 more training days would have been more expensive to me

ATP schools for me in 2006 was $3K all in, 2 days, 10 hours including check ride.

Despite the short schedule, the training was actually pretty good. It seemed on point, moved along well, and I had decent guidance. Maybe I lucked out with the instructor (who is an airline pilot wannabe building time). I assume he is now flying with an airline somewhere, and based on my experience, I would feel safe with him at the controls. I suspect my experience with ATP is not universal, though.

Like Leach, I had to unlearn a few things to fly the MU2 versus the Seminole, and then even more with the jet.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 16:43 

I had to spend 5 days at ATP learning how to fly a Seminole only to try and quickly forget everything I had just learned....

ATP seems to change their programs all the time (I can't even find add-ons on their website any more). Like Mike C it was 10 hours of flying including the checkride for a flat fee ($5,000 in 2021) but it was spread out over 5 days. The checkride was the morning of Day 5 so I was done by noon which I guess technically makes the program 4.5 days. They worked me into their regular 141 student schedule so I only had a couple of hours of instructor time each day. That actually worked out well for me as I could keep doing my day job along with using their ATD (so I could learn the 530 enough to load an approach - I was used to a G1000 in the SR22) and doing oral prep with the other students.

I also had a good experience. My instructor was about to hit their 1,500 hours and took their regional 121 interview the week I was there. He was a bit distracted by that but man could he fly that Seminole. The funny part was he spent as much time beating retractable gear procedures into me as he did the multi stuff. I'd regularly take off and climb out fat dumb and happy leaving the gear down, just like in my SR22 :whistle:

Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next

Blackhawk (Banner)