Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Celebrating the 500th Vision Jet
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 22:13 

Post Likes: +673
Aircraft: PA23-250
Username Protected wrote:
A $1M hangar?

You must be exaggerating, no?

My hangar with valet parking is $8640/year.

Mike C.

My 39-foot wide T-hangar that just fits my Columbia 400 is $8460 a year, + property tax of $656 each year, to the county I lease the hangar from. The same county that banned 100LL.

For comparison, we pay $900 a month for a slightly larger tee hangar in Fort Lauderdale. But it's Fort Lauderdale, with a thousand planes on the field, no property taxes, no income taxes, no sales taxes on aviation parts and labor, and every aviation service or parts provider you can think of on the field or ten minutes away.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2023, 11:34 

Post Likes: +1302
Aircraft: C501SP
Well, give NM a try. We have one of the worst education systems in the country, some of the worst healthcare, high crime, high unemployment and crippling poverty, no water, no trees, nothing but flat earth and dust all the way to the horizon…wait….where are y’all going? Come back!

Seriously, I love where I am but 330 million Americans think they found a better place. At least 329,999,000 of them are right. :cheers:

I spent some time at Sandia Labs and agree with your overall assessment.

That being said, Angel Fire is our go-to skiing destination. KAXX is 3 miles from the resort and they send a shuttle right to the plane. Everyone we have met there has been super nice and helpful. The resort is just the right size for my 10 and 12 year olds. And there are plenty of trees there at least!

A good friend of mine is a HS Art teacher and wants to visit Santa Fe. Need to do that one of these days...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2023, 11:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4413
Aircraft: B200, 500B
Well, give NM a try. We have one of the worst education systems in the country, some of the worst healthcare, high crime, high unemployment and crippling poverty, no water, no trees, nothing but flat earth and dust all the way to the horizon…wait….where are y’all going? Come back!

Seriously, I love where I am but 330 million Americans think they found a better place. At least 329,999,000 of them are right. :cheers:

I spent some time at Sandia Labs and agree with your overall assessment.

That being said, Angel Fire is our go-to skiing destination. KAXX is 3 miles from the resort and they send a shuttle right to the plane. Everyone we have met there has been super nice and helpful. The resort is just the right size for my 10 and 12 year olds. And there are plenty of trees there at least!

A good friend of mine is a HS Art teacher and wants to visit Santa Fe. Need to do that one of these days...

Let me know when you do. I'd love to see the 501.

Santa Fe is an oasis in NM, especially for food, history and art.

Last edited on 07 Nov 2023, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2023, 00:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
For comparison, we pay $900 a month for a slightly larger tee hangar in Fort Lauderdale. But it's Fort Lauderdale, with a thousand planes on the field, no property taxes, no income taxes, no sales taxes on aviation parts and labor, and every aviation service or parts provider you can think of on the field or ten minutes away.

Florida, where aluminum is a consumable in the hot, damp, salty air.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2023, 21:36 

Post Likes: +15
The EV comparison is an excellent one Sal, I am against government interference in the free market, I’m against EV’s as a solution to environmental problems, I hate what battery production does to the planet, I’m concerned about the load these cars will put on the grid, and my list goes on.

My wife and I live downtown, we both drive bug SUV’s, we’re thinking of adding a car, and it will probably be a Tesla, we love them.

Plus, I have an Tesla charging station in the garage three spaces from my Yukon. Add to that the fact we’d rarely leave the city in it and it becomes the perfect choice for us.

As Sal said the decision paradigm in these purchases often goes well beyond aircraft capabilities.

You buy a Tesla because you like the car (or in my case love it) and trust/enjoy the company. Near 30 years of all Ford and lots of F150s, I am now Tesla only even if its a glorified hatchback and it has nothing to do with environmentalism.

I have a feeling Cirrus knew their customers wanted more than a SR22 but wanted the Cirrus version of more and that they would prefer a fadec jet to a more expensive same speed turboprop on their 200-400 mile flights.

I mean turboprops are marketed as jet engines with a prop... I am sure many are happy to drop the "with a prop" part.

Last edited on 09 Nov 2023, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2023, 21:43 

Florida, where aluminum is a consumable in the hot, damp, salty air.

Mike C.

Yes, it's awful, please don't come here. Your plane could dissolve virtually overnight. All 22,000 based airplanes are semi-molten messes littering the airports. The transient planes can succumb to the horrific conditions in less than a week, once they are fully saturated with the corrosive Florida atmosphere.

But on the flip side, dozens of those evil Vision Jets will soon meet their demise here. They are everywhere. Six are within a quarter mile of my hangar, and there are more lurking at the other five airports nearby.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2023, 22:25 

Post Likes: +413
Aircraft: Phenom 100
The vision jet isn’t aluminum. We could all wish we were flying around in high tech, corrosion resistant carbon fiber. And not legacy aluminum.

Chip-

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2023, 22:38 

The vision jet isn’t aluminum. We could all wish we were flying around in high tech, corrosion resistant carbon fiber. And not legacy aluminum.

Chip-

Well, almost. Composite IFR airplanes require lightning protection, so they have an aluminum mesh embedded in the top of the layers. It is subject to corrosion around camlocs and other wear areas. And the flight control surfaces are conventional aluminum too. So even though it's much more corrosion resistant, unfortunately the hostile Florida environment will dissolve it into nothing... according to Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2023, 00:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
... unfortunately the hostile Florida environment will dissolve it into nothing... according to Mike C.

According to Textron. They publish corrosion maps and have elevated inspection requirements in the more prone areas. The entirety of Florida is in that area.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2023, 00:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4413
Aircraft: B200, 500B

Chip-

There’s metal in every plane still built today.

How easy is it to inspect the metal/composite joints for corrosion on the metal faces?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 18:55 

... unfortunately the hostile Florida environment will dissolve it into nothing... according to Mike C.

According to Textron. They publish corrosion maps and have elevated inspection requirements in the more prone areas. The entirety of Florida is in that area.

Mike C.

I didn't know that Textron built the Vision Jet we're talking about. Does Cirrus know about this?

Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22